Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TV help
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

TV help
Moving after 30 years in the same house. Long story, same job just different farm.

So I am going to buy a new TV. I really don't need to see nosehair and zits, in fact too vivid bothers me. I will remain with Dish because they are the only one to offer the horse racing network (not TVG or HRTV).

I also have a clandestine receiver at my lakehouse. I'm thinking about having that disconnected for the time being and then hooking it back up.

Definitely going Hopper, how good is the stream on Sling if the internet is just average? Because that could take care of the lakehouse issue.

What TVs do you recommend? What about a small surround unit. Not a big fan of soundbars.
04-19-2016 01:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

RE: TV help
Size preference?

I would go with a step or two below the high end options, 720p/1080p instead of 4K, skip 3D and other tech you'll never use, and try to find a 2014 or older model that's been replaced by a new one. Amazon makes it easy to see and sort by model year, for research purposes. Some people get freaked out that 720 or 1080 will be obsolete one day soon. I have no clue to be honest.

I'm cheap in several areas but always stick with high end brands for large purchase electronics. My made-in-2007 50" Panasonic plasma still kicks ass and it's only 720p.

If you don't care about brands and just want value in a certain size range, I'd start with the less expensive Vizio models and compare to the higher end stuff in person. The actual TV's audio will suck with the cheap Vizios but that's not an issue if you splurge for surround sound. And I recommend you do.

Some people swear by refurbished electronics from trusted brands and that's a good way to save $, especially on newer tech. I've purchased multiple refurb audio equipment with good results but never a TV. The logic makes sense though, it should have to pass a tougher inspection after it's refurb'd than when it originally came off the factory line.

I'll defer to others on surround sound advice and I don't know anything about Dish or Sling.
04-20-2016 12:31 AM
CardinalJunky Offline
I'm In The Spirit World As*hole

(04-19-2016 01:44 PM)Farmdude Wrote:  Moving after 30 years in the same house. Long story, same job just different farm.

So I am going to buy a new TV. I really don't need to see nosehair and zits, in fact too vivid bothers me. I will remain with Dish because they are the only one to offer the horse racing network (not TVG or HRTV).

I also have a clandestine receiver at my lakehouse. I'm thinking about having that disconnected for the time being and then hooking it back up.

Definitely going Hopper, how good is the stream on Sling if the internet is just average? Because that could take care of the lakehouse issue.

What TVs do you recommend? What about a small surround unit. Not a big fan of soundbars.

Unless you are buying a 60" plus TV, you can save by getting a 720P. Panasonic, Sony, and Samsung are trusted brands, but a step down that can save you some money, thought they are good TV's would be Vizio and LG. I have a Samsung 51" plasma, 720P. It's all I need and I value having a great picture.

I have Sling and it's generally OK. I'd say 98% of the time I have no problem with the stream. Check out Amazon and you can likely find a small surround system with a bluray player at a couple hundred bucks or so.
04-20-2016 07:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Cnet gives a best buy to the Vizio M series. I'm going with a 65", so unless someone convinces me differently that's probably what I go with.

I have a nice pair of KEF bookshelf speakers to start with. We don't watch many movies but watch and listen to a lot of music.

Thanks
04-20-2016 07:09 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

I probably won't be much help here, but I have always had good luck with Vizio TV's. i have a E-class in my basement and it gives me plenty of picture. But i can't afford to drop a ton of $$ on a 4k Samsung. I'm generally going for value for my money.
04-20-2016 07:21 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

I don't think the price difference justifies trying to find a 720 over 1080. You wont even find 720 anymore over like 48". 1080p won't be obsolete for a while at least when it comes to watching regular cable or satellite. It's going to be years still before they are able to get to that point with broadcast and cable Tv. But 4k is coming fast and hard for streaming and blu rays.
04-20-2016 08:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Vizio M is 4k and is priced about $2000 less than most competitors.
04-20-2016 09:14 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

The thing with 4k at the moment is HDR(High Dynamic Range). They started implementing this last year and it's no gimmick. It drastically improves the picture quality. The biggest problem is it's turned into a format war with one set of companies calling and doing it their way and another set calling it and doing it their way. It's also only really found in mid to higher end sets at the moment. If you're looking at 4k IMO you should wait another year or two. Prices will continue to drop even more and technologies like HDR will be more mature and hopefully settled.
04-20-2016 09:24 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(04-20-2016 09:24 AM)Red Alert Wrote:  The thing with 4k at the moment is HDR(High Dynamic Range). They started implementing this last year and it's no gimmick. It drastically improves the picture quality. The biggest problem is it's turned into a format war with one set of companies calling and doing it their way and another set calling it and doing it their way. It's also only really found in mid to higher end sets at the moment. If you're looking at 4k IMO you should wait another year or two. Prices will continue to drop even more and technologies like HDR will be more mature and hopefully settled.

Almost like the fight between HD DVD and bluRay when the HD format fights were going on.
04-20-2016 09:27 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

A few articles on 4k HDR.

http://www.cnet.com/news/dolby-vision-vs...ormat-war/

http://www.wired.com/2016/01/what-is-hdr-tv/

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ultra-hd-pre...-3354.html
04-20-2016 10:18 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

(04-20-2016 09:24 AM)Red Alert Wrote:  The thing with 4k at the moment is HDR(High Dynamic Range). They started implementing this last year and it's no gimmick. It drastically improves the picture quality. The biggest problem is it's turned into a format war with one set of companies calling and doing it their way and another set calling it and doing it their way. It's also only really found in mid to higher end sets at the moment. If you're looking at 4k IMO you should wait another year or two. Prices will continue to drop even more and technologies like HDR will be more mature and hopefully settled.

If you saw what I'm watching on you would be shaking your head. 36" Sony Trinitron. No waiting for me.
04-20-2016 10:23 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Whoa; is that a CRT? Don't throw your back out.
04-20-2016 11:47 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

LMAO. 325 lbs. Its built in and that's why I'm still watching it. The hole can't handle a very big flat screen.
04-20-2016 01:18 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I bought it the year before they got the flats better. I couldn't stand watching the evening news and the talking heads looked like talking watermelon heads.
04-20-2016 01:20 PM
CardinalJunky Offline
I'm In The Spirit World As*hole

I'll go to my grave swearing by plasma. It's a shame they stopped making them. It's a 720P and I'd take it over any 1080P LCD or LED of the same size. It's perfect for what I watch....a lot of movies in a dimly lit room. I find the blacks to be inky looking on LCD/LED TV's. I have a Vizio 1080P in our living room and it can't touch the Samsung plasma.

It figures that I'm one of the few plasma lovers too. I bought into HD-DVD during the format war. Still have 2 players and about 60 movies (got about half of those for next to nothing when blu-ray won the standard).....and they still work!
04-20-2016 05:37 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

+1 on the plasma love. I have an 8 year old 58" Samsung plasma that I loved in our old house. 15 foot sitting distance on the new house called for a much bigger screen. I could never go back to the 58" screen in that room, but the projector can't touch the picture quality of the plasma
04-20-2016 06:26 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(04-20-2016 05:37 PM)CardinalJunky Wrote:  I'll go to my grave swearing by plasma. It's a shame they stopped making them. It's a 720P and I'd take it over any 1080P LCD or LED of the same size. It's perfect for what I watch....a lot of movies in a dimly lit room. I find the blacks to be inky looking on LCD/LED TV's. I have a Vizio 1080P in our living room and it can't touch the Samsung plasma.

It figures that I'm one of the few plasma lovers too. I bought into HD-DVD during the format war. Still have 2 players and about 60 movies (got about half of those for next to nothing when blu-ray won the standard).....and they still work!

Still got the one for the Xbox 360...
04-20-2016 07:35 PM
Red Alert Offline
-

I had a 58" Sammy Plasma(PN58B860) before my current TV, a 75" Sammy LED. Loved it. Plasma definitely had its advantages. The viewing angles, deeper blacks and motion lag with LED's still arent quite as good with what you could get with plasma but they are much improved and I think they have surprised plasma in every other aspect. I love the 75". Mid sized living room and its pretty theater like with the 75" and the surround sound.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2016 12:11 AM by Red Alert.)
04-23-2016 12:05 AM