Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Anniversary Trip, Europe Recommendations
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Anniversary Trip, Europe Recommendations
Didn't want to hijack hothot's thread, but he did inspire me to share that Sarawit and I are going to celebrate our 10 year anniversary this summer. We've decided to go to Europe and will be visiting Paris, Barcelona, and Rome.

My question is simple. For those who have been, what is a can't miss tour, monument, or experience in any of those cities? We'll be hitting the major landmarks, but thought friends may know of something overlooked by the masses or less renowned than the Eiffel Tower and Montserrat.

Whatcha got, CE?
04-18-2016 08:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

RE: Anniversary Trip, Europe Recommendations
I got Paris for you and some Rome hotel and restaurant recommendations. MaƱana.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2016 08:48 PM by Farmdude.)
04-18-2016 08:47 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

How long are your stays in each city?

Lot's of nice areas in Paris to stay but avoid the Champs Elysees. If you want specifics pm me.

If you plan on visiting some of the larger museums buy a museum pass, that allows you to skip the long lines. I like the smaller museums and recommend the Rodin and Picasso museums. Make sure and take a stroll down the Ile St Louis, that's the island next to Ile de la Cite which is where Notre Dame is. The subways are a great way to get around if you want to visit an area some distance away. If there on a Saturday check out the flea market. Thousands of food choices, some great ethnics on the south side of the Seine down toward the Sorbonne. If you like tartare then Ma Bourgogne is a must. It's in a really neat little area and plenty for the less adventurous on the menu. Absolutely recommend Willi's Wine Bar, excellent food and wine and reasonable.
04-19-2016 08:37 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Paris - 4 nights
Barcelona - 3 nights
Rome - 4 nights

We already have the museum pass on the list. Will definitely look to see if Rodin and Picasso are in the neighborhoods we're hanging each day.

How is the travel time overall? Should we try to quarter off the city each day and stick there or can we reasonably hop end-to-end without wasting the time we have?
04-19-2016 08:59 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Hell yeah, congrats. Haven't been to those cities...yet. Am interested to hear others' advice and a recap of your trip afterwards. I'll ask the ladyfriend's mom, but they left Europe in the '90s so i'm not sure how much help it'd be. They lived near Seville, on the other side of the country from Barcelona, too.

Do people still go to Morocco? That's where her parents did their 10 year anniversary trip, coincidentally, when they lived in Spain. Said it was amazing back then.

Ladyfriend has job opps in countries like Germany/England where we could go for 2 or 3 years and then return to her same stateside job. We've talked (dreamed) about doing it in 10 or so years when we're a little more established, but not sure that will work with multiple kids and worry about it growing stale after 6 months. Sounds amazing on paper though, taking a freakin train to different countries every other weekend, get out of the rat race for awhile, see some man-made shit that's older than 200 years.

Enjoy the trip, man.
04-19-2016 09:45 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

The subway is very fast and efficient but I would basically map out an area. Taxis are only available at hotels and taxi stands.

Here is the very best travel book you will ever use. It breaks the cities down by street. I would study for weeks and when I was out walking a city for the first time I felt like I had been there before. They have editions for all major cities.

http://www.amazon.com/Access-Paris-11e-G...reet+guide
04-19-2016 09:49 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Thanks FD. Our travel agent recommended a different guide, but we'll see about getting both and compiling notes from each.

You're a wine man, right? Is there a bottle I should seek out from that side of the ocean? Wife loves cabs and enjoys a pinot now and then. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but figure that will be the beverage of choice during the fortnight.
04-19-2016 11:18 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I find the big wines from France not to my liking. I enoy the wines of Provence and Languedoc. Make Willi's one of your first stops, they are very helpful. English spoken well there.

The thing I like about the Access guides are they show anything of interest on any street. So if you want to go see something at 2 Rue de Bigcock you can see everything near your destination.

EDIT: House wines in Europe are always very drinkable. I love the wines of Spain and Italy.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2016 11:32 AM by Farmdude.)
04-19-2016 11:31 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

(04-19-2016 11:31 AM)Farmdude Wrote:  ... if you want to go see something at 2 Rue de Bigcock
I can only imagine what might be seen there
04-19-2016 11:53 AM