Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
honeymoon travel, location
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

honeymoon travel, location
Any advice on locations, cruise vs. hotel, travel in general? Where did the married folk on this forum go on theirs?

Our ceremony is late May, and due to work issues we can't honeymoon right away. We might honeymoon sometime between August-October this year but potentially next summer since we just found out we'll probably be moving later this summer & likely buying a house.

Initial preferences: save $ on airfare by going to tropical spot within 4 hours by air, i.e. Turks & Cacaos, Aruba, Mexico.

Dream spot: Greece. We are novice international travelers. Outside of Bahamas/Jamaica, I've only been outside the states on a military passport so to speak. She lived in Spain and Germany as a child & spent a few weeks in Cambodia for grad school credit.

Neither of us have been on a cruise before. Might be our best option if we decide to go Aug-Oct this year; off-season for kids, specific budget, and less planning. Plus it'd be an easy drive for us to a cheaper port (Texas coast).
04-18-2016 11:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

RE: honeymoon travel, location
We went to the Outer Banks of North Carolina the week of Labor Day. After Monday, it was pretty deserted. If you end up having to stay in the US and plan to drive, then I suggest a beach on that week. All the kids are back in school and you get a more grown up crowd plus the locals are bit more relaxed.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2016 12:15 PM by BereaCard.)
04-18-2016 12:14 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

We went to the Mayan Riviera. All-inclusive, lot of fun for a couple of mid-20's people. Saw Tulum, went to the massive Mexican water park (the lazy river was actually a river), and drank and ate ourselves stupid. We weren't making much money back then, but made the airfare and resort rates work. If you wanted to really bring down costs, somewhere like BC described would be good. Just beware the hurricanes in late summer/early fall (tropical storm went through OBX the week after we left two summers ago). Same for Mexico.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2016 12:31 PM by chrislindy.)
04-18-2016 12:30 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

We went to a Sandals All-inclusive in St. Lucia. It was really nice, but most of the excursions were closed due to the fact that a hurricane had hit the island directly the weekend before. we drove on 1 lane roads on the side of a cliff that was a 2 lane road the weekend prior... Also, they had a water shortage that they turned the water off to the resort while my wife was taking a shower and they had to ration it for the first couple days we were there. Other than that, the food was great but probably not worth the cost. I have since been on 2 cruises, one to the Bahamas and one to the western caribbean. I enjoyed those just as much and the cost for us was far lesser.
04-18-2016 12:44 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

Quite frankly, one of my more enjoyable vacations was at the Outer banks. we rented a house (my parents and us 3 kids and our familes) for a week for like $3000 - so that $750/family for the week. we literally stayed in a house that you opened the back door and stepped out onto sand. most relaxing vacation i have had.
04-18-2016 12:50 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I didn't have one. We were broke and both of us are frugal. She didn't get a diamond ring until our 20th anniversary and then nothing ostentatious.

So what do you enjoy? Music? Hit up Austin. You can make a nice week between San Antonio and Austin. Allegiant flies from Cincy to Austin on Thurs and Sundays. We recently spent some time in Santa Fe and Taos NM, had a ball. We love NO, the ultimate party town. Also spent some time along the Alabama and Miss Gulf Coast. We had a lot of fun just redneckin' around. If you want to head to CA the central coast is pretty darn affordable by CA standards. If you are going in the summer the Maritime provinces of Canada are great. Maine also has a beautiful coast. As far as the Ga and SC beaches, Allegiant now flies from Lex to Savannah. When you decide let us know, you will get more advice than you need.
04-18-2016 01:43 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Thx for the replies. I dig music, and we both like Austin, but she's not super into concerts and that scene. I'd be cool with a *stateside* (EDIT) honeymoon but we've both been almost everywhere mentioned already sans Canada/Maine and Outer Banks--which I'll now add to our list of future destinations, thanks--and I think she had something in mind that's distinctly different than where we've been before. I'll have to mention Outer Banks to my parents; they do timeshare type vacations 2x per year to places they can drive.

Late-summer San Antonio move is 95% in the works now, so 90% likely to postpone the trip to next summer so we can save the money. And plan the shit out of it.

Might have to save Greece for the 10 year trip. New Zealand is also a place I've wanted to visit since one of my roommates in FL went there for 2 weeks to see family. I don't think I've ever heard someone talk about a place the way he talked about New Zealand. The air travel would suck, though.

Canada is intriguing but she's not a cold weather person, or even a low-70s weather person for vacations. But I'd love to do Quebec City or Montreal in the summer, just not sure it's the best choice for this trip.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2016 11:07 PM by ULismyhothot.)
04-19-2016 10:18 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(04-18-2016 01:43 PM)Farmdude Wrote:  I didn't have one. We were broke and both of us are frugal. She didn't get a diamond ring until our 20th anniversary and then nothing ostentatious.

i hear ya; we've been together 7 years and I was too frugal/broke to bankroll a ring and wedding before now. Almost did the vegas thing once, but knew she'd resent not having a proper wedding. I try not to think about it as sinking $10-15K into a 5 hour party but it's gonna be really hard not to if we decide to buy a house in SA.
04-19-2016 10:27 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

Check out applevacations.com
They have some great deals on all inclusives in the carribean area, and direct flights out of Cinci. I loved our trip to the Dominican. Ethnic food, entertainment and shopping, and the topless beach didn't hurt either. Only about 10% of the people understand english, and there were some very rough areas outside the resort (people carrying around automatic weapons), but I'd go back again.
04-19-2016 11:57 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(04-19-2016 11:57 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  Check out applevacations.com
They have some great deals on all inclusives in the carribean area, and direct flights out of Cinci. I loved our trip to the Dominican. Ethnic food, entertainment and shopping, and the topless beach didn't hurt either. Only about 10% of the people understand english, and there were some very rough areas outside the resort (people carrying around automatic weapons), but I'd go back again.

thanks, i'll bookmark it. I've seen that site referred to before but haven't known anyone with firsthand experience. In which part of the DR did y'all stay?
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2016 11:50 PM by ULismyhothot.)
04-19-2016 11:49 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

We used Apple for our trip to the Mayan Riviera. Priced well and we had no complaints about transportation, the resort, or anything else with the trip.
04-20-2016 08:16 AM