Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Castaway Music Festival
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Castaway Music Festival
Slight change on the "Listening To" thread. If you were to hand-pick your favorite 5 artists or so, who would be on your proverbial deserted island of music?

Two caveats to my list:
1) I don't spend the time to get into super offbeat acts, so most of my listening preferences are going to fall into the popular realm of its genre.

2) I'm a very ecclectic music consumer, so I'd try to cover a lot of bases with my limited Castaway Festival. I'd also cheat right out of the gate by bringing in someone who maybe doesn't qualify as a performer but has absolutely shaped a tremendous portion of my musical youth.

Timbaland - The records and songs he has produced from the mid-90's to today are continually great for this hip-hop fan. Sounds matter more to me than lyrical content, so where other rap folks may prefer a group like Tribe Called Quest or The Roots, I like the guy who just made sick beat after sick beat. He made Bubba Sparxxx hot, for God's sake. Add artists like Aaliyah, (Louisville's own) Playa, and a whole host of pop stars and you get a BUNCH of great music from the hands of a single man.

Outkast - Double dipping on the hip-hop angle, there is no better rap group for my money than Outkast. You can go all the way back to their first widely consumed, hit album (ATLiens) and find tracks that fit right in to today's musical sound. I'd argue this group is superior to a lot of (most?) rap being made today. Bonus points for the Castaway Festival reuniting Big Boi & Andre3000's crazy ass.

Foo Fighters - Was not a huge fan of their early stuff after the Nirvana dissolution, but the harder rock stuff they've made in the past 10 years or so is where I climb on board the bandwagon. The acoustic version of Everlong is fantastic, though. All My Life, Best of You, and Pretender are must-plays in my concert.

Eric Church - Tough call for modern country that doesn't suck, but Church gets a slight nod over Chris Stapleton for having a larger resume to-date. The radio singles are fine, but Church makes me a fan with the stuff that doesn't get on the airwaves ("Smoke a Little Smoke", "Carolina", "Lotta Boot Left to Fill", "Hungover & Hard Up", "Jack Daniels", "I'm Gettin' Stoned", "Over When It's Over").

Tupac Hologram Entry Johnny Cash - Think this goes without saying. Cash was the MAN and made so many great songs for a span of 50+ years. Some of my favorites are "God's Gonna Cut You Down", "One Piece at a Time", "Boy Named Sue", "Jackson", and "Tennessee Flat Top Box". Wish I had been introduced and appreciated his music at something resembling his spry years. Would have been awesome to see him in concert, I think, even in the early 2000's.
04-07-2016 11:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

RE: Castaway Music Festival
Idk if I can narrow it down to 5. My brain might explode.
04-07-2016 12:01 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

LOL agree, mind is exploding.

Jazz week:
Errol Garner
Ella Fitzgerald
Benny Goodman
Dave Brubeck
Les Paul

Rock week:

Van Morrison
Jefferson Airplane
The Band
Chuck Berry
Warren Haynes (I could listen to him 24/7)

Motown/soul week
James Brown
Aretha Franklin
Diana Ross
Solomon Burke
Al Green

Have to stop there for the time being. Head exploding.
04-07-2016 12:32 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

This would be difficult for me, at best. Gotta go with Tedeschi Trucks, Allman Brothers and Led Zeppelin. But, that only leaves two slots for Rolling Stones, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard (RIP), Cash, George Jones, Marvin Gaye, Todd Snider, Hayes Carll, Warren Haynes, JJ Cale, Cream, Jack Pearson, etc.

I might be talked out of Led Zeppelin in the short term, but I know I would regret it long term.
04-07-2016 12:51 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

Maynard (covers Tool and Perfect Circle)
Avenged Sevenfold
Pink Floyd
David Maxim
can't narrow down #5
04-07-2016 03:39 PM
CardinalJunky Offline
I'm In The Spirit World As*hole

Gawdammit.....5? Really? 5....like everyone else, I just don't know how I'd be expected to do that, but I'm going to play fair and pretend there is a gun to my head....even if it's just a water pistol:

The Bealtes: Very eclectic and can satisfy a lot of what I love about music. It's an obvious pick, I know.
The Replacements: I love every one of their albums.
Waylon Jennings: Not even close when it comes to country music for me. A huge catalog and he made almost every song he sang his own.
The Band: My favorite album of all-time is "The Band", so I'd have to take them along to the island. George Harrison once said they were the best band in the universe and even Jimi Hendrix was into them.
The Beastie Boys: I'd want to have some hip hop with me and they were a band I followed from beginning to end. I was in on them from the get go.

Honorable Mention 5: (just so I can satisfy my craving to list more) Pink Floyd, Wilco, Jimmy Buffett, Shooter Jennings, Rolling Stones.....geez....can't leave Neil Young off. I could start at the beginning of his discography and listen through the end and that would kill about 6 years! Smile
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 10:17 AM by CardinalJunky.)
04-07-2016 07:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

Unfortunately this is going to be hard. I have to admit that the majority of my listeneing is in the Rock genre, but every once in a while i throw in some hiphop. My listening ranges from the 50's to now, so i'm going to try to break it down by decade/decades:

60's - The Beatles - My dad used to listen to them when i was a kid and i would put the vinyl on and literally repeat over and over. These guys are on my list because i feel like their music evolved as they went from a garage band sound in the early times to completely utilizing the great creative minds of Phil Specter, George Martin, and Bob Dylan to create music that covered the entire range of music that was released in those years - even attempting to hit the blues of the 50's.

70's - Eric Claption. I have loved his evolution of sound and his reach of influence on many many talented mucisions - Guys like Robert Randolph and the Family Band, John Mayer (yes, John Mayer). In this selection, I am obviously including his material in all bands he was in: The Yardbirds (yep that band he spent time in with Jimmy Page and would eventually be changed and called Led Zeppelin), Cream, and Derrick and the Dominos. I can still put all his different live guitar festivals on the speakers and listen all the way through over and over.

80's - Van Halen - These guys have been my favorite 80's band for a long time and Eddie Van Halen has been one my favorite guitarist of all time too. once again this fits my love for the classic rock genre. If i'm not going by decade, Pink Floyd sits in this spot

90's / 00's - Tie - Incubus / Foo Fighters - I have seen Incubus multiple times and The FF have been on my short list of acts to see if they ever come close to me. Of the new rock, i have gotten into the grunge/pop/punk stuff and Incubus and the FF filled those spots in HS and College. I have the FF all acustic concert on dvd and cd and love it. another one you can throw in and listen all the way through on repeat when working in the garage or at the office

Hip Hop - Dr. Dre - had to add in some hiphop - although i'm not a fan of it live, i would need something upbeat and to workout to. I chosse dre, not because i am in love with his music, but similarly, to Claption, when you choose his music you get samplings and "featurings" of others - aka more than one artist from one choice (my way of cheating) - Tupac, Snoop, Eminem, Blackstreet (haha), etc. I can't put hiphop in my list if its only 5% of what i listen to. adding in a 70's / 80's group - Pink Floyd

Honorable Mention (I know, it's a lot but i like them all):

60's - The Temptations, The Who, Simon and Garfunkel, CSNY, Bob Dylan,
70's / 80's - Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, James Taylor, Tom Petty, The Eagles, Billy Joel, GNR, Metallica, Stevie Ray Vaughan
90's / 00's - The Goo Goo Dolls, Weezer, Michael Jackson, Green Day
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 07:26 AM by CardsAllDay13.)
04-07-2016 08:46 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Big Boi--sign of maturity is realizing Big Boi > Andre 3000
Metallica--beautiful violence; high school nostalgia
Zeppelin--not in my top 5 favorites but for the desert island scenario, it fills a specific void here
Michael Jackson--just never tire of listening to it
Kanye--dislike the person, dig the music

Hard to omit country, couldn't decide between Cash, Strait, or Garth. All have the type of volume of songs that would work well for a desert island catalogue. Chuck Berry would work, too. And yes, I hate myself for including Kanye but just being honest.
04-07-2016 11:47 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

I've probably done myself a diservice by boycotting Kanye because he's such a douchebag
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 09:37 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
04-08-2016 09:03 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Kanye still makes good MUSIC, but his lyrics/themes suck now. We're a LONG way from "Crack Music" and "Gone".
04-08-2016 09:58 AM