Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tire Place?
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Tire Place?
What do you all use to get replacement tires bought/installed?

We made the mistake of using Tire Discounters for both of our cars and have had serious alignment issues with both cars ever since. I had never had an issue with either car having used the likes of Costco and the place on Shelbyville Road I am now getting the name of, but as soon as we used them our tires never manage to stay aligned unless we take the car in literally every month for a rotation/check.

I'm probably going to need to replace the tires on my Camry soon, but won't return to TD if they gave their products/service away.
04-04-2016 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

RE: Tire Place?
(04-04-2016 09:44 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  What do you all use to get replacement tires bought/installed?

We made the mistake of using Tire Discounters for both of our cars and have had serious alignment issues with both cars ever since. I had never had an issue with either car having used the likes of Costco and the place on Shelbyville Road I am now getting the name of, but as soon as we used them our tires never manage to stay aligned unless we take the car in literally every month for a rotation/check.

I'm probably going to need to replace the tires on my Camry soon, but won't return to TD if they gave their products/service away.
Most tire alignment shops I've found are a joke. Their alignment specs are so wide that you're not getting a true alignment, it's more of a "just make sure it's not completely jacked up" check. For any shop you take it to, I'd ask what their specs are and how do they confirm it's within spec. If they can't give you that information, or don't measure with a laser, I wouldn't trust them. I had uneven wear on my wifes' Ford Edge after having Ken Towery on Taylorsville Rd do the alignment. They did my truck too, with no issues. I took my car to a place called Winning Formula (who I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone with performance goals) and they are able to hit the specs I requested dead nuts, within 0.1 degrees or better, but they're about 40% more expensive.

Discount Tire Direct has been recommended to me by multiple people because they match their online prices with no shipping charge. I can't vouch for their service or aligment accuracy though.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 11:16 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
04-04-2016 11:14 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

I have used Costco or Ken Towery or Sears to purchase/install tires. Sears will match club (sams /costco) prices and i have had good luck with them for purchases. I don't usually have then do my alignment. I have the pm all done by the dealer using honda specifications/fluids. It ends up being a little more but not much. Honda also states to use their fluids to avoid voiding corrosion warranties so I drop it off for oil change and they do the other stuff for not a whole lot more than the discount guys AND for no more than than the quick lube guys - and with OEM fluids which probably makes no difference but still makes me feel better consisering it seems like you just as many if not more Hondas / Toyotas on the road with 200k+ miles on them than the other auto brands.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 11:31 AM by CardsAllDay13.)
04-04-2016 11:30 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

I've bought and helped other people buy tires on TireRack dot com with all good experiences. Our local Toyota dealer is running a buy 3 get 1 for $1 deal including installation April 1 - April 30, but they still might be higher priced than Tire Rack + shipping + local installation. Ken Towery's is probably your cheapest local option for simple mount & balance via Tire Rack--I'd estimate $60 for 4 tires?

When I lived in Fern Creek, I used to go to Big O Tires in Shepherdsville for all minor car stuff because I know the owner, but that might be too much out of your way. Replaced wheels on the ladyfriend's mustang at Discount Tires in Vegas and they were excellent, but went to a different DT in Vegas with a friend's car and it was awful.

I've still got tires installed by Costco circa 2008 on my 2003 Acura, and aside from an instant oil change shop in Florida not wanting to put regular air in my "nitrogen tires," I haven't had any issues with them and they've sat idle for 6-8 months during deployments and driven me through some crazy ass weather. Only negative is we don't live near a Costco now so I wouldn't be able to use their lifetime services.
04-04-2016 11:35 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

Chris if you are just looking for a place to purchase/install tires, I honestly would do it this way...it has worked out for me in the past. You have to know what speed rating Toyota recommends (probably T or H rated) then I would go pick out the tire you want based on research on somewhere like tire rack.

When you have the tire I would call 3-4 places and have them give you their best price out the door mounted/balaced. Forget the rest of the stuff like nitrogen, free alignment check, etc because that junk is cheap or just a gimmick. Have them give you the out the door price and base decision off that and manufacturers promotions/warranties. Good year and Michelin run promotions constantly that are generally independent of who you buy them from.
04-04-2016 12:12 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(04-04-2016 12:12 PM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  Chris if you are just looking for a place to purchase/install tires, I honestly would do it this way...it has worked out for me in the past. You have to know what speed rating Toyota recommends (probably T or H rated) then I would go pick out the tire you want based on research on somewhere like tire rack.

When you have the tire I would call 3-4 places and have them give you their best price out the door mounted/balaced. Forget the rest of the stuff like nitrogen, free alignment check, etc because that junk is cheap or just a gimmick. Have them give you the out the door price and base decision off that and manufacturers promotions/warranties. Good year and Michelin run promotions constantly that are generally independent of who you buy them from.

I think Sam's just ended a $70 gift card promotion for Michelin yesterday, but Tire Rack is currently offering $70 gift card for a few different brands, which essentially offsets the shipping cost. But I agree dealers sometimes offer good deals on specific brands. I highly rec Michelin only b/c I've seen major issues with almost everything but their tires on other vehicles I've driven for work or friends.

If you ever need winter tires on a sports car or sporty sedan, Goodyear Blizzaks are very nice and keep their resale value well, at least in South Dakota.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 02:54 PM by ULismyhothot.)
04-04-2016 02:54 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

I bought the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires for my car and would highly recommend them, and I'll likely never buy anything else for a mix of track/street driving. They are well above the 2nd best option, in my experience.
04-04-2016 03:05 PM