Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
For Those of Us Old Enough to Remember Burt...
Junkman Offline
My milkshake is better than yours...

For Those of Us Old Enough to Remember Burt...
... he's baaaaack!

03-30-2016 12:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

RE: For Those of Us Old Enough to Remember Burt...
Another addition to the long list of failures by Pontiac
03-30-2016 02:04 PM
Junkman Offline

The getting rid of or the production of?
03-30-2016 03:15 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

What's the buyer market for Smoky and the Bandit collectors? Are there a lot of folks with the money and interest in reliving Burt's chest hair and Sally Field's semi-hot years?
03-30-2016 03:18 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

That doesn't look like a Buick.
03-30-2016 03:41 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

(03-30-2016 02:04 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  Another addition to the long list of failures by Pontiac

Bringing back college memories?
03-30-2016 04:09 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-30-2016 03:15 PM)Junkman Wrote:  The getting rid of or the production of?
That thing is hideous. The 80's Trans Am features carried over to the current Camaro body looks worse than Caitlyn Jenner. It's a horrible marketing ploy, and I don't even know who they're marketing to, as Chris pointed out. It's a tug at the emotional heart strigs of dedicated Pontiac buyers, which I imagine is a pretty small pool at this point. It's like the GTO released in in the early 2000's. Absolutely nothing about that car says GTO. They took a Holden from Austrailia then plastered a familiar name on the back hoping the emotional attachment is enough to make a profit on a very poorly designed and engineered sports car. And then there's the Pontiac Aztec .....

All this coming from a guy who owned a 2000 Trans Am for a few years. I liked the TA, but it's general quailty and performance flaws had me missing the Honda Prelude I sold before it. The only good thing about that car was the LS1.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2016 10:22 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
03-31-2016 10:22 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

[Image: tumblr_mlkzl3y4GU1ri48nso1_500.png]
03-31-2016 08:29 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

I can already picture the new Trans Am taking the place of an Aztek in this scene

[Image: ezgifcom-video-to-gif.gif?dpr=1&...p;amp;q=75]
04-01-2016 08:29 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

lol
04-01-2016 11:59 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(03-31-2016 10:22 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  
(03-30-2016 03:15 PM)Junkman Wrote:  The getting rid of or the production of?
That thing is hideous. The 80's Trans Am features carried over to the current Camaro body looks worse than Caitlyn Jenner. It's a horrible marketing ploy, and I don't even know who they're marketing to, as Chris pointed out. It's a tug at the emotional heart strigs of dedicated Pontiac buyers, which I imagine is a pretty small pool at this point. It's like the GTO released in in the early 2000's. Absolutely nothing about that car says GTO. They took a Holden from Austrailia then plastered a familiar name on the back hoping the emotional attachment is enough to make a profit on a very poorly designed and engineered sports car. And then there's the Pontiac Aztec .....

All this coming from a guy who owned a 2000 Trans Am for a few years. I liked the TA, but it's general quailty and performance flaws had me missing the Honda Prelude I sold before it. The only good thing about that car was the LS1.

i think this emphasizes a couple things (whether entended or not by J). reasons why i think the big 3 have struggled (market in general)

1. You elude to it, but it shows GM's general strategy that i feel like has backfired more often then not. instead of doing actual redesign, they have taken a current design of a current model and just add a couple changes and put a different emblem on it. This a completely different strategy to what Ford did when they decided to first release a retro Mustang and you can just tell who is selling more, just by driving everyday. i probably see a ratio of 10:1 mustangs:camaros from the last 10 years. I'm not saying that this is the reason for more sales in this particular case, because the new camaro was a new redesign, but i felt that the camaro was a redesign bust compared to what Ford did to the mustang, and it was late to the game as well; but you see, as J pointed out with the GTO and now this Transam, this lack of creativity by GM has been a disaster. The only time i feel like GM's strategy has worked, is with the new vette where you can tell they used aspects of the camaros tail and the high end sporty cadilacsl in the design of the new vette. that thing is sweet and if anyone wanted to donate one to me, i would definitely take it.

2. This also hilights the GM/Ford strategy of having similar brands that basically have the same vehicle bases with a few tweaks and a different emblem on them. I don't need a olds, pontiac, gmc, buick, saturn, and chevy version of the malbu. Same with the ford/mercury brands. The companies canibalize their own sales by offering so many versions of literally the same car. If you look at the brands that have floushed in the market, they carry 2 brands. the standard brand and the luxury brand - honda/acura; toyota/lexus, nissan/infinit. or they haave 2 brands that either hit 2 different markets or 1 with multiple models - hyundai/kia, mazda, mitsubishi

i can't be all critical because i feel like they both have improved their lineups (especially ford). The new malibu and impalas are really nice, but i'm still buying asian over an american made car; unless it's a truck. even then the tacoma/tundras are big time competition for the big 3.
04-02-2016 08:21 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

From my view Ford is head and shoulders at the top of American manufacturers. The redesign of the Fusion and Taurus continued the upward trend that the mustang stared. The Ecoboost engines are a nice step up too. The fact that they didn't take a bailout makes it even more impressive
04-02-2016 10:02 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

yep i agree.
04-02-2016 10:19 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Forgot to mention the high revving flat crank V8 in the new mustangs. Sounds sexy as hell
04-02-2016 10:50 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

Dont like the look of the new Mustang. Its got the ditinctive mustang front end. Rest looks camaroish to me
04-02-2016 12:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardsAllDay13 Offline

it almost has the look of the 70-72 fastback. maybe not the tail itself, but the shape as you move from the rear of the roof to the tail.
04-02-2016 12:28 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(04-02-2016 10:02 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  From my view Ford is head and shoulders at the top of American manufacturers. The redesign of the Fusion and Taurus continued the upward trend that the mustang stared. The Ecoboost engines are a nice step up too. The fact that they didn't take a bailout makes it even more impressive

If I ever buy domestic again, Ford is the only company who had a shot in Hades of compelling me. Chevy and Dodge are not making anything visually appealing or with any sort of reliability buzz. I honestly didn't realize Pontiac still existed until this thread.
04-02-2016 01:09 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(04-02-2016 01:09 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 10:02 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  From my view Ford is head and shoulders at the top of American manufacturers. The redesign of the Fusion and Taurus continued the upward trend that the mustang stared. The Ecoboost engines are a nice step up too. The fact that they didn't take a bailout makes it even more impressive

If I ever buy domestic again, Ford is the only company who had a shot in Hades of compelling me. Chevy and Dodge are not making anything visually appealing or with any sort of reliability buzz. I honestly didn't realize Pontiac still existed until this thread.

One of the few non luxury brands they kept around.
04-02-2016 01:16 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(04-02-2016 01:09 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  If I ever buy domestic again, Ford is the only company who had a shot in Hades of compelling me. Chevy and Dodge are not making anything visually appealing or with any sort of reliability buzz. I honestly didn't realize Pontiac still existed until this thread.
I don't ever see myself buying a Malibu or Charger or anything close to that. We're in the market for a couple year old sedan right now and the Maxima / TL / Mazda 6 are at the top of the lsit. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying German without an extended manufacturer warranty, and my wife and I don't like the looks of the American sedans. Maybe the Fusion, but the back end is a little boring.

I don't really associate these cars with the overall brand image, but the Corvette and the Viper will always be icons to me. Dollar for dollar performance of those two is ridiculous. The Nissan GTR is right there with them. The ACR Viper is King from the initial comparisions I've seen. Its beating track times of cars that cost 5 times as much. I've heard the Corvette Z07 called a fiberglass casket from a few different sources.
04-04-2016 08:42 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

I had an Altima for a few years. Great car.
04-04-2016 08:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(04-04-2016 08:42 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  
(04-02-2016 01:09 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  If I ever buy domestic again, Ford is the only company who had a shot in Hades of compelling me. Chevy and Dodge are not making anything visually appealing or with any sort of reliability buzz. I honestly didn't realize Pontiac still existed until this thread.
I don't ever see myself buying a Malibu or Charger or anything close to that. We're in the market for a couple year old sedan right now and the Maxima / TL / Mazda 6 are at the top of the lsit. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying German without an extended manufacturer warranty, and my wife and I don't like the looks of the American sedans. Maybe the Fusion, but the back end is a little boring.

When we replace my car, I'll probably start the search with a 1-3 year old Mazda6. Never been a fan of Mazda's flagship body style, but I can look past that for a daily driver. You looking at manual or automatic? And is regular maintenance pretty standard on a Mazda?
04-04-2016 08:59 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Nissan is a very good car brand if you're willing to pay the upcharge over its competitors. We looked at the SUV's and walked away because of the terrible gas mileage and ho-hum consumer reviews.

Curious if anyone has experience or knows folks with experience with the new Kia Optima. I think that car looks pretty solid among their competition and I had good luck with one of the 2nd generation Sorrentos. I'll probably be in the market for a new car in a year or two and have been looking at the Optima, Ford Fusion, and Honda Accord.
04-04-2016 09:16 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

(04-04-2016 08:59 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  

When we replace my car, I'll probably start the search with a 1-3 year old Mazda6. Never been a fan of Mazda's flagship body style, but I can look past that for a daily driver. You looking at manual or automatic? And is regular maintenance pretty standard on a Mazda?

I don't know what Mazda is using but Nissans have had CVT's for years(cars anway, not sure about trucks and suv's). I don't know why you would want a manual over that. The CVT I had in the Altima did a great job of staying in the power band. Its cool flooring it and never seeing the rpm guage drop at all.

I do miss that car. It was decked out. Black with damn near limo tint. Put some nice wheels and tires on it. It was bad ass. Just wasn't ideal as a lone daily driver when the snow started flying.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 09:22 AM by Red Alert.)
04-04-2016 09:21 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Nissan's brand has slipped steadily over the past few years. Not sure why, same with their Infiniti. I purchased a new Optima several years ago, great car. Bought a daughter a used Pathfinder, trouble free.

As far as tires go, if you bought a new car ask your dealer about tires. I have always found them to be very competitive.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 09:52 AM by Farmdude.)
04-04-2016 09:51 AM
Junkman Offline

(04-04-2016 08:42 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  ...
I don't really associate these cars with the overall brand image, but the Corvette and the Viper will always be icons to me. Dollar for dollar performance of those two is ridiculous. The Nissan GTR is right there with them. The ACR Viper is King from the initial comparisions I've seen. Its beating track times of cars that cost 5 times as much. I've heard the Corvette Z07 called a fiberglass casket from a few different sources.

No truer words have been spoken. You have good information.
04-04-2016 10:59 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(04-04-2016 09:16 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  Nissan is a very good car brand if you're willing to pay the upcharge over its competitors. We looked at the SUV's and walked away because of the terrible gas mileage and ho-hum consumer reviews.

Curious if anyone has experience or knows folks with experience with the new Kia Optima. I think that car looks pretty solid among their competition and I had good luck with one of the 2nd generation Sorrentos. I'll probably be in the market for a new car in a year or two and have been looking at the Optima, Ford Fusion, and Honda Accord.

When I was in Korea a couple years ago all you saw was the k7 (Korean version of the Optima) and the hyndai sonata. The sonata gets rave reviews and I would put it up there wit the accord and camry. Kia owns Hyundai so it's just their version. Hyundai is generally nicer but they both were used very heavily as taxis in Seoul. I would definitely look at the new Sonatas. For the price of the Optima I think you can get a better car.
04-04-2016 11:37 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(04-04-2016 09:21 AM)Red Alert Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 08:59 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  

I don't know what Mazda is using but Nissans have had CVT's for years(cars anway, not sure about trucks and suv's). I don't know why you would want a manual over that. The CVT I had in the Altima did a great job of staying in the power band. Its cool flooring it and never seeing the rpm guage drop at all.

I do miss that car. It was decked out. Black with damn near limo tint. Put some nice wheels and tires on it. It was bad ass. Just wasn't ideal as a lone daily driver when the snow started flying.

The complaint you hear with the CVT is that you don't get the feel of the gears shifting. My car has a CVT and they hAve added an algorithm to make the car act like the gears are shifting even though they aren't. It's actually pretty cool and I don't really notice that it is a CVT.
04-04-2016 11:40 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

This to replace the edge? Or the truck?
04-04-2016 11:42 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

To replace the Edge
04-04-2016 12:02 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

We bought a Kia Soul back in December and we are very happy with it. We got it with 15,000 on it and have put 7,000 miles on it since. It came with the 1.6 liter and the 6 speed manual. The wife liked the looks, I liked the headroom and the reviews I found were pretty much 100% favorable. Of course, I bought it knowing that it was not a race car and that is fine. It will go 80 on the interstate with no complaints but it takes a minute to get there.
04-04-2016 12:15 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

I don't like the feel of the CVT but we're not buying it to race either. I haven't heard anything catastrophic about the reliability but its more expensive to fix/replace. That, and driveability in the snow, are my only reserves about the Maxima. The Mazda 6 is underpowered, and the TL has very limited trunk space. Maxima is at the top of our list

PS I want some of what Sam Swope Nissan is smoking. They have a Maxima that books for $18.4K with a $23k window sticker. They tried to force me to come in before they'd talk price. I basically told them theres no way I'm coming in if you plan to stick to the asking price. Needless to say I didn't make the trip
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 01:07 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
04-04-2016 01:03 PM
Red Alert Offline
-

(04-04-2016 01:03 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  I don't like the feel of the CVT but we're not buying it to race either. I haven't heard anything catastrophic about the reliability but its more expensive to fix/replace. That, and driveability in the snow, are my only reserves about the Maxima. The Mazda 6 is underpowered, and the TL has very limited trunk space. Maxima is at the top of our list

My Altima sucked ass in the snow and is the main reason I gave it up. But I am in South Dakota and deal with the slick stuff more frequently and the last town I lived in, a good part of the city was basically on a hill overlooking the Missouri River. Traction control was of no help at times trying to go up a hill. The tires I had on were all season but geared more towards high performance so that could certainly have been an issue as well.

Nissan's had the CVT since 2007 so I'd say it's a mature product for them at this point. My Altima was 2008 and I never had an issue with it. Its also worth noting there has always been a manual mode with Nissans CVT's that allows you to use virtual shift points.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 01:19 PM by Red Alert.)
04-04-2016 01:13 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(04-04-2016 01:03 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  PS I want some of what Sam Swope Nissan is smoking. They have a Maxima that books for $18.4K with a $23k window sticker. They tried to force me to come in before they'd talk price. I basically told them theres no way I'm coming in if you plan to stick to the asking price. Needless to say I didn't make the trip

Having dealt with Sam Swope, here's what I can tell you. They add a bunch of useless shit to the cars that is non-negotiable and jacks up the price with the quickness. We bought my wife's Pilot from them last fall and they wanted to add the door stripes, all-weather mats, and a few other things that somehow came with a $3,000 sticker price. After haggling, we got the price down to something we were comfortable with and was within the True Car, but it was a pain in the arse.
04-04-2016 01:50 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

We have had success in Cincinnati and indianapolis. When they know you are out of town, if you leave they know they have all but lost a sale; especially when the guy down the street has the same thing for what you are saying is your max.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 02:03 PM by CardsAllDay13.)
04-04-2016 02:02 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(04-04-2016 02:02 PM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  We have had success in Cincinnati and indianapolis. When they know you are out of town, if you leave they know they have all but lost a sale; especially when the guy down the street has the same thing for what you are saying is your max.
That's the thing, Collins Nissan has the same car (minus options) as Sam Swope right down the road. Collins has their car marked AT book value plus it is factory certifiied. I'd have already bought it if it had the 7" display with backup camera. Swope is drunk as hell. Maybe they'll call me in 90 days when it's still sitting on their lot.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 03:11 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
04-04-2016 03:08 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

Check cincinnati too. I have seen much better deals there a lot of times than in louisville. It sucks going back and forth, but I'll 1.5 hours to save $1000
04-04-2016 03:14 PM