Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
RUSSDICULOUS
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

RE: RUSSDICULOUS
He was getting paid based on scouting, not Kansas hype IMO. He would have been drafted top 5 whether he played for Kansas or the Skyforce. I know that's not your point, but you kinda tossed it in as a throwaway point at the end.

More directly to your point, you may be correct that his jersey sales were at least in part a function of the collegiate tie. But I think it's a bit over the top to say all or even most are from Kansas fans. If that were true, I think the dollars would be so inconsequential as to not even matter. Any first-year player selling jerseys based on draft hype are more likely coming from the fans of those teams. Now they may choose to buy them BECAUSE they saw a guy like Embiid at Kansas, but I would argue that the same NBA fans would still buy the jerseys if their franchise were aligned formally to an NBDL team and his hype was a product of dominating the top-tier prospects currently forced into college programs AND the former NCAA stars who make up the majority of the current NBDL structure. As it stands now, half of a season for a guy like Embiid is just physically overwhelming low-level DI programs who trot 6'6" PF's and players who barely stand in the same universe as the future NBA players.

Getting almost too far down the hypothesis rabbit hole, now, but suffice it to say that I don't think the jersey sales of these second and third-tier NBA "stars" are significantly driven by their college affiliation. There is some, to be sure, but most college hoops fans aren't so enamored with these (increasingly) short-term athlete relationships and/or NBA in general as to contribute a significant amount to the league's bottom line. Maybe I'm way off... just don't see a ton of Francisco Garcia Kings jerseys and Gorgui TWolves jerseys when I hit the mall.
03-28-2016 05:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

It's not the KU fans who are buying the 76ers jerseys. It's the 76ers fans buying them who are familiar with Embiid because every time they turned on ESPN his freshman year they were Saying he's the best big since Hakeem Olajuwan. There isn't that same level of famiarity and hype with guys like Jennings and Porzingis. Hell, Kicks fans booed Porzingis at the draft.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2016 05:23 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
03-28-2016 05:22 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(03-28-2016 12:34 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Did you know Mike Trout or Paul Goldschmidt before they hit the majors and became MVP candidates? Do you think their minor league fans did?

Pure stroke of luck you mention two guys I drafted as "NA" minor leaguers in my dynasty baseball league thanks to reading Baseball Prospectus for like 15 minutes once, lol.

2012 draft: [Image: PfQls1v.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2016 12:14 AM by ULismyhothot.)
03-28-2016 05:28 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(03-28-2016 05:22 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  It's not the KU fans who are buying the 76ers jerseys. It's the 76ers fans buying them who are familiar with Embiid because every time they turned on ESPN his freshman year they were Saying he's the best big since Hakeem Olajuwan. There isn't that same level of famiarity and hype with guys like Jennings and Porzingis. Hell, Kicks fans booed Porzingis at the draft.

Agreed on all counts. Which is why a) I think the 76ers fans would just as likely buy the Embiid jersey if their top pick had been tearing up the minors before being called up to the league and b) the actual on-the-court production would dictate jersey sales beyond about the first two months AND be far more substantial. Porzingis was the WORST pick by the Knicks ever... and now he's #4 in jersey sales.
03-28-2016 07:35 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

(03-28-2016 03:58 PM)Red Alert Wrote:  Guys are shitting all over South Dakota today. The fuck? Obviously jealous of the no state income tax and the foot of snow we're going to get Wednesday.

You got it all wrong. I love the name and that is as good a reason as any to start following them.
03-29-2016 12:09 AM