Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
RUSSDICULOUS
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

RUSSDICULOUS
Being Russdiculous setting D league scoring record of 65 points. Left some broken ankles out there.

http://louisville.247sports.com/Bolt/Wat...d-44446210

03-24-2016 09:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

RE: RUSSDICULOUS
And meanwhile there are mass amounts of scrubs just "playing it out" on NBA teams right now.
03-24-2016 09:29 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

#1 NBADL prospect for his scoring but to be fair, he does average like 5 turnovers and shoots 30% from 3 in a league that plays much weaker D.
03-24-2016 09:50 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

Weaker D than the NBA? Whats the DL defense consist of? Getting within 3 feet of somebody?
03-24-2016 09:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

If I'm a coach, I don't know that scoring is the first thing I look for in a D-league prospect. I want guys that can defend, rebound, and take what the defense gives them. Russ is a ball dominant player, and he can't play that role in the NBA. BUT, he can defend and definitely score if the defense doesn't play him honest. You'd think there's some GM's out there with an eye on him. The Griz probably have him locked down.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2016 10:11 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
03-24-2016 10:07 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

think the Grizz waived him a few months ago
03-24-2016 10:31 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

Is the NBA like MLB where the major team owns the rights to do whatever the wish with the players in their farm system while under contract (call them up, send them down, trade, leave them in the NBDL for all eternity??
03-24-2016 11:02 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(03-24-2016 11:02 AM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  Is the NBA like MLB where the major team owns the rights to do whatever the wish with the players in their farm system while under contract (call them up, send them down, trade, leave them in the NBDL for all eternity??

As long as the player is under contract, yes. But a guy like Russ doesn't have a home... Grizz waived him back in December. He's a legit FA. Basically you can be both assigned (sorta like MLB) or just a dude looking for another shot at the NBA (FA, guys like Russ).

Fun fact... CEBE legends Vander Blue and Dwight Buycks join Russ in the D-League Top 10 prospect watch.

http://dleague.nba.com/prospect-watch/
03-24-2016 11:27 AM
Junkman Offline
My milkshake is better than yours...

Wait a minute... Russ IS under some type of contract. That's why he hasn't left for the border. He is getting paid until this summer, and THEN he will be free to take his wares elsewhere. Right now, he would lose money if he didn't stay right where he is. That's why he's not complaining.
03-26-2016 07:01 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Memphis (or whoever drafted him/signed him) are paying him. But a team willing to pay his contract can claim him and pick up the remaining money owed. That may actually be why he isn't getting called up. He's more expensive than the unsigned FA getting paid by the d league team.
03-26-2016 07:39 AM
Junkman Offline
My milkshake is better than yours...

I knew it was something like that.
03-26-2016 09:02 AM
CardinalJunky Offline
I'm In The Spirit World As*hole

If he doesn't stick after training camp next year, I'd love to see him go overseas. Can you imagine how much of a fan favorite his attitude would make him, plus the open offensive game in Europe would help his skill set even more. He'd come home a rich man in 8 or so years if he treated his money right.
03-26-2016 09:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

8? Taquan and Larry are still playing over there a decade after the 2005 Final Four run. Russ could double that career in my opinion.
03-26-2016 09:34 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Just for reference. Top salaries in Europe.

http://www.talkbasket.net/salaries
03-26-2016 09:55 AM
CardinalJunky Offline
I'm In The Spirit World As*hole

(03-26-2016 09:34 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  8? Taquan and Larry are still playing over there a decade after the 2005 Final Four run. Russ could double that career in my opinion.

I was just throwing a number out there that would probably see him get to a decent amount of wealth if he were to just quit at that time. O'Bannon, according to Pitino, is pretty much set for life with the way he has handled his career.
03-26-2016 01:52 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhaji_Mohammed
03-26-2016 02:39 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

To be fair to D-Leaguers trying to live the dream, I'd rather make $200K in the US than $1M abroad.
03-26-2016 02:46 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Really. Why? I used to spend a lot of time in Europs, loved it.
03-26-2016 02:51 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

6-8 months at a clip for 10 straight years without seeing friends or family kinda wears on you.
03-26-2016 03:47 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I could see that.
03-26-2016 04:00 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-26-2016 02:46 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  To be fair to D-Leaguers trying to live the dream, I'd rather make $200K in the US than $1M abroad.
NBA D-league salaries are a $25,000 - barely enough to live on. If I'm Russ, I'm gone the second my contract expires unless another team offers me a 1+ year guarantee. He could make bank overseas.
03-28-2016 08:26 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(03-28-2016 08:26 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  
(03-26-2016 02:46 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  To be fair to D-Leaguers trying to live the dream, I'd rather make $200K in the US than $1M abroad.
NBA D-league salaries are a $25,000 - barely enough to live on. If I'm Russ, I'm gone the second my contract expires unless another team offers me a 1+ year guarantee. He could make bank overseas.

Exactly. And consider that many Euro teams pay the taxes and housing for their players. It's 6-figures with very little expense on the part of the player. You probably don't have (or at least don't need) a car over there. Don't pay your own rent. It's basically food and entertainment when you aren't playing.
03-28-2016 09:08 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-28-2016 09:08 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  
(03-28-2016 08:26 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  

Exactly. And consider that many Euro teams pay the taxes and housing for their players. It's 6-figures with very little expense on the part of the player. You probably don't have (or at least don't need) a car over there. Don't pay your own rent. It's basically food and entertainment when you aren't playing.
To be fair to the D-League, they apparently pay for housing too. I'm sure it's pretty modest by NBA standards, which brings the grand salaray total to about $50k per year
03-28-2016 09:41 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Ah, didn't realize the avg salary was that low. Guess that means they're getting paid by the league, and separately from the players who are under more lucrative NBA contractual agreements, which must be a much smaller number than I assumed. When guys like Russ get waived I have no idea what happens with their contract, but assume it varies depending on his guaranteed clauses, etc.

Wonder if the D League tv contract is projected to ever become more valuable so they could offer a competitive wage. Seems like the NBA would need to heavily subsidize it now for it to be viable.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2016 10:03 AM by ULismyhothot.)
03-28-2016 10:02 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Per one of the other sites, rumor has it Derryck Thornton may be transferring from Duke. Not seeing any confirmation on Twitter or the Duke boards, but that wouldn't be a complete surprise given his time this year and the studs coming in next season. Dude has already been passed over from what I can see.

In more definitive news, Justin Simon is leaving Arizona. HS teammate of Mitchell, we recruited him late in the process.

EDIT: meant to post this in the tidbits thread... not sure how I got here.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2016 12:35 PM by chrislindy.)
03-28-2016 11:13 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(03-28-2016 10:02 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  Wonder if the D League tv contract is projected to ever become more valuable so they could offer a competitive wage. Seems like the NBA would need to heavily subsidize it now for it to be viable.

I still think the long-term play is for the NBA to work out some rules to take the players (read: $$$) from the NCAA programs and develop their D-League into a more fully-baked minor league system. Why let the schools get all those ad dollars and marketing from the one-and-done stars like Ben Simmons if they can somehow cultivate the same from their feeder franchises? A D-League full of 12th man off the bench guys doesn't make sense... it's a waste of money for the league if the best you're going to get is Vander Blue bouncing up and down on 10-day deals.

The guys who are good enough to declare straight from HS can go straight to the league like LeBron & Kobe did. The borderline guys still get drafted, but go to the d-league with some of those current NBDL journey men to get seasoning from players who are physically stronger than your average NCAA starter (in many cases, those journey men were the STARS of their college years). The guys who aren't ready go to college and have to stay 2-3 years before being draft-eligible again.
03-28-2016 11:20 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(03-28-2016 11:13 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  Per one of the other sites, rumor has it Derryck Thornton may be transferring from Duke. Not seeing any confirmation on Twitter or the Duke boards, but that wouldn't be a complete surprise given his time this year and the studs coming in next season. Dude has already been passed over from what I can see.

In more definitive news, Justin Simon is leaving Arizona. HS teammate of Mitchell, we recruited him late in the process.

In general i like these type (the sit out a year) transfers. these guys get to practice with the team during the year they sit out so they get a whole year to mesh with the team on and off the court. then when they hit the real games, they already have been playing with the same group for over a year. Still may take a little time in game situations, but they already have a head start.

See: Luke Hancock, David Padgett
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2016 11:35 AM by CardsAllDay13.)
03-28-2016 11:29 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(03-28-2016 11:29 AM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  
(03-28-2016 11:13 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  Per one of the other sites, rumor has it Derryck Thornton may be transferring from Duke.

In general i like these type (the sit out a year) transfers. these guys get to practice with the team during the year they sit out so they get a whole year to mesh with the team on and off the court.
See: Luke Hancock

This is a good point, one that's overlooked in an intense player development/complicated scheme system like Pitino's, vice the more simplistic player-friendly programs.

If y'all ever watched those coaching shows Rick did with a local TV channel, the one they filmed during the season Luke had to sit out at UofL was pretty enlightening. Each week they brought on a different player and every time Luke was brought up, it was apparent from his teammate's comments that he was the team leader, the mature presence in the locker room, etc. It made me look up all his highlights from GMU b/c I'd forgotten about him that fall. I can recall emailing Mike from CC about Luke and how he would almost certainly be one of Rick's team captains his first year on the team, which seems nearly unprecedented at Louisville.

Anyways, I think the standard sit-a-year transfer rule helps programs like ours when properly forecasted and it seems like Rick's staff has found a good formula for involving transfers within the 13 scholarship rotation.
03-28-2016 11:43 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-28-2016 11:20 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  I still think the long-term play is for the NBA to work out some rules to take the players (read: $$$) from the NCAA programs and develop their D-League into a more fully-baked minor league system. Why let the schools get all those ad dollars and marketing from the one-and-done stars like Ben Simmons if they can somehow cultivate the same from their feeder franchises?
I'm not too sure what you mean by full minor league system, but I don't think it's possible for any form of D-league to generate even 5% of the popularity that college basketball does for individual players. Just imagine how insanely insignificant the name Vander Blue would be if he didn't play in the [True] Big East? Of half the names I know in the NBA, the only reason I know them, is because of college basketball. Unless they're NBA starters playing 30 minutes a night on a winning team, they'd never sell a jersey. The minor league wouldn't change that, but a year or two with a blue blood college basketball team would do them wonders.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2016 11:47 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
03-28-2016 11:45 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(03-28-2016 11:43 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  
(03-28-2016 11:29 AM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  
(03-28-2016 11:13 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  Per one of the other sites, rumor has it Derryck Thornton may be transferring from Duke.

In general i like these type (the sit out a year) transfers. these guys get to practice with the team during the year they sit out so they get a whole year to mesh with the team on and off the court.
See: Luke Hancock

This is a good point, one that's overlooked in an intense player development/complicated scheme system like Pitino's, vice the more simplistic player-friendly programs.

If y'all ever watched those coaching shows Rick did with a local TV channel, the one they filmed during the season Luke had to sit out at UofL was pretty enlightening. Each week they brought on a different player and every time Luke was brought up, it was apparent from his teammate's comments that he was the team leader, the mature presence in the locker room, etc. It made me look up all his highlights from GMU b/c I'd forgotten about him that fall. I can recall emailing Mike from CC about Luke and how he would almost certainly be one of Rick's team captains his first year on the team, which seems nearly unprecedented at Louisville.

Anyways, I think the standard sit-a-year transfer rule helps programs like ours when properly forecasted and it seems like Rick's staff has found a good formula for involving transfers within the 13 scholarship rotation.

you must have grabbed this before my edit, but i think D. Padgett is another good example.
03-28-2016 11:53 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Only 6 of the 16 underclassmen projectected to get drafted in the 1st round actually won an NCAA tournament game, and 6 others weren't even good enough to make the tournament. Remind me again why they're considered 1st rounders? The NBA D league is about to get a solid fresh crop
03-28-2016 12:01 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

I agree with J that 90% of the monetization of the D-League caliber players is based on built-in college fandom and 10% of their actual star power. Maybe 1 or 2 HS guys who aren't NBA ready would make a splash but would that be enough to make a difference? Is there any difference with Vander Blue to Phil Pressey to Chris Douglas-Roberts? Would we know them if they didn't play in college?

Seems to me it would require a radical turn of events for a startup minor league to grab a chunk of the NCAA's market share, but the question is, how relevant does it have to be in order to draw interest from HS players? What's the pay scale and how do they market a Ben Simmons when he's playing in some small city in South Dakota? Is it unfair to compare its marketability with the NCAA's? What would it be competing against?

We are all biased as huge NCAA nerds. My only personal D League experience was tuning in recently to watch Russ Smith and the game was unwatchable. I'd heard of maybe 30% of the guys playing, the crowd was lifeless and the games were meaningless. I guess triple A baseball suffers the same fate, but still grinds out an existence b/c of the transparent path to the majors and built-in nostalgia from retirees who buy up season tickets? I don't know, just spitballing here.
03-28-2016 12:12 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

It's a chicken-and-egg logical conundrum. The NBDL stadiums are empty and disinterested because there aren't marquee (future star) names on the rosters. But the future stars won't go because there is not fan support (aka money) in making that leap over promoting yourself on the NCAA stage for 6 months.

It's obviously a BIG "if" right now. But if the NBA could get the D-League set up in a way that supports the immediate shift of those up-and-comers from schools to franchises, eventually the fans would recognize talent and start showing up. Personally, I don't see how any of your concerns about a proposed basketball minor league wouldn't be echoed in the MLB minors. It doesn't stop those teams from drawing fans and spurring interest in the players and attending games. Did you know Mike Trout or Paul Goldschmidt before they hit the majors and became MVP candidates? Do you think their minor league fans did?

The NBA doesn't need the D-League to be as insanely profitable as March Madness. They just need it to be interesting enough to pay guys with talent enough to skip college. Guys like Brandon Jennings and Emmanuel Mudiay are two recent examples of top-tier talents looking for ANYWHERE to play but a college campus. With the right contract, you're telling me Brandon Ingram, Ben Simmons, et al wouldn't do the same?
03-28-2016 12:34 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-28-2016 12:34 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Guys like Brandon Jennings and Emmanuel Mudiay are two recent examples of top-tier talents looking for ANYWHERE to play but a college campus. With the right contract, you're telling me Brandon Ingram, Ben Simmons, et al wouldn't do the same?
The NBA doesn't want Ingram and Simmons to skip college. The NBA just got 6 months of free marketing from Duke, LSU, and the constant circle jerk at ESPN. A minor league system wouldn't generate anywhere close to the same level of marketing that college basketball does. Considering going to college and playing in the Final Four doesn't actually require going to class (i.e. Syracuse and UNC), why skip college? They already made a mockery of the word "SCHOLARship", so what are guys like Jennings and Mudiay afraid of? They have nowhere near the popularity of guys like John Wall or Bradley Beal because of the decision to play overseas.

^That^ is the biggest difference between the MLB and NBA farm systems. NCAA baseball is nowhere near as popular as NCAA basketball, so there’s no marketing advantage to playing in the NCAA prior to going straight to the league. I’m also not convinced baseball requires anywhere near the level of coaching that basketball does. There’s very little difference in style and strategy between your local little league and the New York Yankees. Whereas in basketball, you might really want your kid to go play for a Coach K / Izzo / Pitino / Boeheim instead of chasing the first available playcheck. Those with more MLB background can chime in if I’m off base.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2016 12:57 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
03-28-2016 12:45 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

It's true they don't get the free marketing, but are we entirely sure the NBA wants that? Free marketing is not a guarantee NBA success, but can certainly (just as easily?) make for a hard-to-handle prima donna in the locker room and negotiating table.

Further, are we sure that the NCAA success is an immediate translation to NBA dollars? The top-selling jerseys of last year had seemingly no NCAA-driven element and were instead based on NBA success. Most of these guys weren't even in the NCAA or played for schools where barely any spotlight shines.

1.Stephen Curry, PG, Golden State Warriors
2.LeBron James, SF, Cleveland Cavaliers
3.Kobe Bryant, SG, Los Angeles Lakers
4.Kristaps Porzingis, PF, New York Knicks
5.Kevin Durant, SF, Oklahoma City Thunder
6.Derrick Rose, PG, Chicago Bulls
7.Russell Westbrook, PG, Oklahoma City Thunder
8.Kyrie Irving, PG, Cleveland Cavaliers
9.James Harden, SG, Houston Rockets
10.Jimmy Butler, SG, Chicago Bulls

The biggest star in the league right now got essentially no spotlight from his THREE YEARS in the NCAA. Other stars (James, Durant, Westbrook, Paul George) got little or nothing in the way of advertisements from being in the NCAA. This board collectively talks at length about how very little pro interest is spurred by the relationships we have with the college alums who eventually make it to the next level. Do UK fans purchase Karl Anthony-Towns TWolves jerseys and NBA League Pass? Are Duke fans suddenly on the 76ers bandwagon?
03-28-2016 01:03 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

(03-28-2016 01:03 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Are Duke fans suddenly on the 76ers bandwagon?

False. There is no 76ers bandwagon.
03-28-2016 01:40 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-28-2016 01:03 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  The biggest star in the league right now got essentially no spotlight from his THREE YEARS in the NCAA. Other stars (James, Durant, Westbrook, Paul George) got little or nothing in the way of advertisements from being in the NCAA. This board collectively talks at length about how very little pro interest is spurred by the relationships we have with the college alums who eventually make it to the next level. Do UK fans purchase Karl Anthony-Towns TWolves jerseys and NBA League Pass? Are Duke fans suddenly on the 76ers bandwagon?
Great players don't need marketing. I'm not talking about the top 10 guys, but the average Joe's of the NBA. The apples to apples comparison would be 1st year jersey sales of Wall/Irving/Beal/Wiggins to guys like Brandon Jennings / Dante Exum / Emanuel Mudiay / etc. The former come into the league with an established "brand" based on their performance and publicity in college, and even get drafted higher because they have a full season of scouting against the guys they're getting drafted against. Does Joel Embiid sell even one NBA jersey in the last 2 years if he didn't get all that pub at Kansas? We, including all college and NBA fans, would know next to nothing about this guy if he went to play for the Sioux Falls Skyforce (yes, that's an actual team) before getting drafted top 5 in 2015 and warming the bench for 2 seasons in a walking boot. His days at KU are all he has at this point. I feel bad for Embiid, but the man is still getting paid.
03-28-2016 03:06 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

(03-28-2016 03:06 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  Sioux Falls Skyforce (yes, that's an actual team)

If we get the death penalty, I am switching to these guys.
03-28-2016 03:48 PM
Red Alert Offline
-

Guys are shitting all over South Dakota today. The fuck? Obviously jealous of the no state income tax and the foot of snow we're going to get Wednesday.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2016 03:59 PM by Red Alert.)
03-28-2016 03:58 PM
Red Alert Offline
-

(03-28-2016 03:06 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  the Sioux Falls Skyforce (yes, that's an actual team)

2 Continental Basketball Association Championships

#RESPECT
03-28-2016 04:07 PM