Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Coaching Carousel--NCAA Hoops edition
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Coaching Carousel--NCAA Hoops edition
So we have the Sean Miller thing going on. He's released a statement that it wont be happening not that it should be written in stone but I buy it.

Johnny Dawkins to Central Florida apparently.

This is a good article-- http://sports.yahoo.com/news/college-bas...44885.html

To summarize:
-Apparently Mick Cronin is talking to UNLV. Contract issues. Lateral move but I'd rather be in Vegas. Thats one of the places I'd say would be a good place to move to. Frank Martin from South Carolina may be UNLV's second pick. You know coaches on par with their other candidate Rick Pitino. Rolleyes

-Brian Gregory on the hot seat at Georgia tech. Hasn't been to the NCAA tourney yet in 5 years. He does have 21 wins this season? I guess I'm not old enough to remember GT being any better than this. AD looking for big name replacement...?

-Pitt was interested in Sean and Archie. Neither are said to reciprocate. Not sure what Archie is holding out for. A short contract could be good for his stock, right? A lot of internal support for an assistant, Brandin Knight, who played there.

-Lots of people interested in the St. Louis job? Why? AD looking for an established HC. Names include Joe Dooley of FGCU, Kevin Stallings of Vandy, Ex OK St. Travis ford, UA-LR Chris Beard and Michigan assistant Lavall Jordan. Seems lateral for Stallings but goes with the discussion we've been having about the WHY for coaches.

-Gonna quote this directly...worth reading, "Milwaukee somewhat surprisingly fired 11-year coach Rob Jeter after a 20-win season – his fifth 20-win year, but he’s only led the Panthers to the NCAA tournament twice. That led to some backlash directed at athletic director Amanda Braun – particularly from Wisconsin Sen. Lena Taylor, who verbally challenged Braun during a news conference to discuss Jeter’s dismissal. One candidate for the job is Milwaukee native T.J. Otzelberger, an Iowa State assistant, but sources said the school intends to cast a wide net in its search."

-Wright State fired their coach after 3rd 20 win season in 4 years. Wright state. Looking at Evansville's coach, and an assistant from Ohio State and one from Xavier.

Moves of Note--WKU, Pitt, UNLV, St Louis, Stanford still looking, Oklahoma State snagged SFAU coach Brad Underwood, TCU snagged pitt coach Jamie Dixon, Pacific took Damon Stoudamaire.

What can we look for going forward? Who do you think takes those 5 (probably) biggest jobs? Any major shuffling going to happen?
03-22-2016 11:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

RE: Coaching Carousel--NCAA Hoops edition
GT was decent in the late '80s and had that one freak year under Paul Hewitt (BJ Elder, Will Bynum, Jarrett Jack & Luke Schenscher) where they made it to the Championship game after being just 1 or 2 games above .500 in the ACC. You probably remember our '05 Final Four team smoked basically the same core group of Tech players in the 2nd round the next year after they lost to UConn in the championship. Seems crazy now, but that win clinched our first Sweet 16 trip since 1997. Ugh, those were some lean times back then.

But yeah, their basketball program maybe should've stayed in the SEC.
03-23-2016 12:15 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Don't blame Cronin for getting out of the AAC and just taking a job that is primed to be the best program in its own conference. UNLV isn't perfect, but it makes sense if Cronin wants a change. He's probably not gonna do any better than UNLV, but he's also got a decent gig at Cincy, too. Just way more pressure to win at UC, I'd imagine? I don't know a lot of UC fans actually.
03-23-2016 12:17 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

I know a few folks here in town who knew Underwood well as a college player and young coach. Seems like a pretty good dude, but time will tell if he can handle the bigger shoes. Ok State probably should've fired Ford a couple years ago, right?
03-23-2016 12:18 AM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

Thanks for the summary.
03-23-2016 05:32 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Like hothot said, GT had some good teams in the 80's and continued star power in the 90's with players like Dennis Scott, Stephon Marbury, the Barry brothers, and Travis Best (was an important reserve for the Pacers back when I was an NBA fan). Chris Bosh was probably the last great Tech player, but despite his impressive freshman campaign the team still only went 16-15. Hewitt did have a handful of 20-win seasons, but too many sub-.500 years in ACC play doomed his tenure. With all the basketball power that has flooded the ACC since Tech's last notable run, they're likely relegated to bottom-feeder status barring a significant, surprising coaching hire. You're right about GT in general, though, DHC. Even Bobby Cremins, who is their Denny, only finished above .500 in conference in 6 of the 15 seasons he coached there.

As far as the coaching carousel, Tom Crean getting to the Sweet 16 stopped this year from being a MAJOR churn of big-name guys. Had IU become available, there would have been some ripple effect. But I don't see a program worth jumping to that can get a major spin going of coaching fires and hires.
03-23-2016 08:25 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

It's really hard to believe Geogia Tech has had a lot better pros than UofL in the last 15 years. I don't put much stock into that as far as national relevance, but it's amazing that Louisville hasn't had better pros.

GT: Chris Bosh, Jarrett Jack, Thaddeus Young, Will Bynum, Anthony Morrow, Iman Shumpert, and Derrick Favors.

Louisville only has 2 guys who've had a career on par with any of those guys, Fracisco Garcia and Gorgui Dieng. Strange.
03-23-2016 08:48 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

(03-23-2016 08:48 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  It's really hard to believe Geogia Tech has had a lot better pros than UofL in the last 15 years. I don't put much stock into that as far as national relevance, but it's amazing that Louisville hasn't had better pros.

GT: Chris Bosh, Jarrett Jack, Thaddeus Young, Will Bynum, Anthony Morrow, Iman Shumpert, and Derrick Favors.

Louisville only has 2 guys who've had a career on par with any of those guys, Fracisco Garcia and Gorgui Dieng. Strange.

I think you can probably add samaki walker and Earl Clark. Well I guess they at least made rosters.
03-23-2016 08:57 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

Earl nor Walker had careers on par with GT's 7th best pro
03-23-2016 09:36 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

(03-23-2016 09:36 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  Earl nor Walker had careers on par with GT's 7th best pro

Yeah. Pretty much have to go back to the 80's to find Louisville's last real star in the NBA.
03-23-2016 09:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

The only small edge Cincy gets over UNLV is that I believe they would be taken by the B12 if/when they expand. I can't see the Pac12 EVER taking UNLV.
03-23-2016 09:43 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(03-23-2016 09:36 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  Earl nor Walker had careers on par with GT's 7th best pro

Yea I guess my point it that that made rosters which hilights still the differences in the production of pro players in the recent period.
03-23-2016 09:44 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

Even still if you look back at the 80s we weren't really an nba factory of studs. Maybe more so than today, but we weren't lighting it up back then either. If I can remember, maybe 50 ish players all time played in either the nba or aba. Outside of unseld (60s/70s), Spencer (90s), Ellison (80/90s), Griffith, and maybe Rodney McCray, not a whole lot of big name nba players that I can remember.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2016 09:52 AM by CardsAllDay13.)
03-23-2016 09:51 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(03-23-2016 09:43 AM)Farmdude Wrote:  The only small edge Cincy gets over UNLV is that I believe they would be taken by the B12 if/when they expand. I can't see the Pac12 EVER taking UNLV.

good point
03-23-2016 10:55 AM