Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The leaving early crew
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

RE: The leaving early crew
Or implode under the the pressure of all the egos. The two biggest ball-hogs in the McD AA game were future Dookies. Not sure they're going to be OK watching Kennard and Allen jack up 20 FGA a game.
04-06-2016 12:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Red Alert Offline
-

He scared of the NBA. Most bitches are.
04-06-2016 12:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

Chris, Maybe he's trying to beef up so he can trip Draymon Green without getting destroyed
04-06-2016 12:56 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Just waiting for CBB before I really begin trolling.
04-06-2016 01:55 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

(04-06-2016 11:17 AM)tarheels15 Wrote:  Grayson Allen returning to school. Duke is going to be nasty next year smh...
Yeah they will. I wonder if the incoming players are happy about Allen's decison. Frank Jackson just went from guaranteed starters to 15 minutes a night.
04-06-2016 02:34 PM
FrozenGlacier Offline
Coach of the Rum Pirates

(04-06-2016 02:34 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 11:17 AM)tarheels15 Wrote:  Grayson Allen returning to school. Duke is going to be nasty next year smh...
Yeah they will. I wonder if the incoming players are happy about Allen's decison. Frank Jackson just went from guaranteed starters to 15 minutes a night.
I think they will have 2 transfers
04-06-2016 05:36 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

They had 6 guys play any minutes that mattered. Transferring Sean Obi doesn't matter.
04-06-2016 06:19 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

I'm not sure Chase Jeter even plays next year
04-06-2016 07:09 PM
tarheels15 Offline
The next Mike Rice (Coach of Kitty Cats)

Joel Berry returning to school. Hoping Justin Jackson and Isiah Hicks follow suit.
04-08-2016 08:14 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Where the hell would Berry have gone? Or Jackson/Hicks for that matter?
04-08-2016 09:09 AM
tarheels15 Offline

There is talk of Jackson and Hicks possibly declaring. I think they would go undrafted but there's talk to it. It's gonna really suck when the NCAA hits this team with a postseason ban in December.
04-08-2016 09:58 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(04-08-2016 09:58 AM)tarheels15 Wrote:  There is talk of Jackson and Hicks possibly declaring. I think they would go undrafted but there's talk to it. It's gonna really suck when the NCAA hits this team with a postseason ban in December.

Roy begs to differ.
04-08-2016 09:59 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

UNC will do like Syracuse and wait until they're 12-8 before self imposing a NIT postseason ban

yeah ... I'm salty
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 10:13 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
04-08-2016 10:12 AM
tarheels15 Offline

Roy is the best at keeping talent in school much longer than they should be there and killing most of their draft stock

5* Tyler Hansbrough 4 years
5* Ty Lawson 3 years
5* Wayne Ellington 3 years
5* Reggie Bullock 3 years
5* James Michael Mcadoo 3 years
5* John Henson 3 years
5* Tyler Zeller 4 years.
5* PJ Hairston 3 years
5* Isiah Hicks 3 years(could be 4)
5* Theo Pinson going into 3rd year
5* Justin Jackson could be 3

It's no wonder OAD quality players don't want to play for him.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 10:24 AM by tarheels15.)
04-08-2016 10:22 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Roy had the best roster in college ball this year. I think his model is working pretty well. I definitely wouldn't trade it for a one and done factory.
04-08-2016 10:40 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Curious how many of UNC's guys were top-tier 5-star players vs. the guys ranked in the 20's. Outside of the top 5 recruits each year, there aren't usually OAD players littering HS rosters.

tarheels, how many of Roy's burger boys do you just think were overrated vs. being screwed up by Roy's coaching? I admittedly don't even remember some of those guys at the top of the list (Reggie Bullock?), but Hansbrough and Zeller were never going to have the raw physical tools to be OAD. Lawson was an undersized PG (a Carolina version of Peyton Siva) that no NBA GM would take early in a college career. The current roster guys show a bit of athleticism (particularly Hicks), but I haven't seen Pinson or Jackson as unquestioned NBA talents.
04-08-2016 11:02 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Am I the only one that would love to talk about players next year, but don't want to give away any value picks? The fantasy side of things kinda takes away from the offseason talk for me
04-08-2016 11:50 AM
tarheels15 Offline

Pinson and Hicks were rated top 10 in their classes, I don't think many of them were overrated. I think it's more a product of its extremely difficult to grasp Roy's system as a freshman. He has the reputation among NBA scouts as holding players back. Now I don't think it's completely accurate but there is some truth to it. James Michael Mcadoo's ordeal of being a top 3 pick after freshman year than proceeding to go undrafted after junior year really hurt on the recruiting trail.

I don't want to give away value picks either but I'm assuming everyone does their due diligence and looks at recruiting ranks. Dukes roster is unbelievable. I see a bunch of players across the league who are primed for huge seasons next year.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 12:55 PM by tarheels15.)
04-08-2016 12:54 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(04-08-2016 12:54 PM)tarheels15 Wrote:  I don't want to give away value picks either but I'm assuming everyone does their due diligence and looks at recruiting ranks. Dukes roster is unbelievable. I see a bunch of players across the league who are primed for huge seasons next year.
I don't put too much stock in recruiting ranks. I'm talking more about the Bonzie Colsons of the ACC (who would have had a lot better year if Brey wasn't insistent on a power forward that shoots five 3's a game). Colson was top 5 in PER and Brey just couldn't wait to get him off the floor.
04-08-2016 01:33 PM
tarheels15 Offline

Derryck Thornton's uncle not too happy and going off on a Twitter Rampage that Coach K is forcing Derryck out at Duke to make way for this years recruits
04-11-2016 07:17 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

Whoa. I figured there was butthurt about pt.
04-11-2016 07:31 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(04-11-2016 07:17 AM)tarheels15 Wrote:  Derryck Thornton's uncle
"uncle" LOL

I have a feeling this "uncle" is a self serving prick trying to take advantage of Derryck
04-11-2016 09:14 AM
tarheels15 Offline

Yeah, you never know with crazy family. Could be that the Thornton family sees Derryck as a star of the team. Next year he would be Duke's sixth or seventh option at best.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2016 09:33 AM by tarheels15.)
04-11-2016 09:33 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

Well if his attitude mirrors the uncle, i'm ok if he doesn't come here.
04-11-2016 11:47 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Am I alone feeling for the kid? He was pursued HARD by both us and Coach K to re-declare and run point from the word go at both schools. He gets there and - whether due to his own preparedness or the coaching decisions of Duke - gets left on the bench almost from game 1. It was painfully obvious Duke needed a floor general, but they kept pushing Allen, Matt Jones, and even Luke freaking Kennard on the floor instead.

Either Thornton stinks or he got a raw deal.
04-11-2016 12:41 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

maybe he had an attitude issue and that kept him on the bench? practice maybe? IDK it does seem a bit weird since he was recruited so hard...
04-11-2016 12:44 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(04-11-2016 12:41 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Am I alone feeling for the kid? He was pursued HARD by both us and Coach K to re-declare and run point from the word go at both schools. He gets there and - whether due to his own preparedness or the coaching decisions of Duke - gets left on the bench almost from game 1. It was painfully obvious Duke needed a floor general, but they kept pushing Allen, Matt Jones, and even Luke freaking Kennard on the floor instead.

Either Thornton stinks or he got a raw deal.
You're definitely not alone on that. I hate to see "uncles" getting involved that could push Derryck towards a bad decision. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a player like Derryck waiting for his time to shine at Duke. 3 and 4 year players have great college careers and get drafted all the time. I doubt it is his own impatience driving this decision. Next year, Duke will still be hurting for a PG, but they have enough "playmakers" that it may not be necessary to have a floor general like Thornton with the ball in his hands.

While I do feel for Thornton, I don't blame Coach K at all. I was calling Thornton when Matt Jones was the secondary ball handler early in the year, but once Kennard came on, I never saw a reason for Thornton to be on the floor. He shot horribly from the field and rarely setup an easy basket for his teammates - poor defense to boot. He could be a good player with time, but I don't think K owed him any favors just because he reclassified.
04-11-2016 01:10 PM
tarheels15 Offline

Thornton's supposed uncle is not his biological uncle, he's very close to the family, and runs some hoops factory for prospects. He's claiming K lied about how DT would be used. Claims the major selling point on Duke was K's sales pitch to use Derryck in a PNR roll offense, and that they only ran that maybe 20 times on the year. If I was Coach K, I wouldn't have used him in a PNR offense either. His decision making was horrible.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2016 01:11 PM by tarheels15.)
04-11-2016 01:10 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(04-11-2016 01:10 PM)tarheels15 Wrote:  Thornton's supposed uncle is not his biological uncle, he's very close to the family, and runs some hoops factory for prospects. He's claiming K lied about how DT would be used. Claims the major selling point on Duke was K's sales pitch to use Derryck in a PNR roll offense, and that they only ran that maybe 20 times on the year.
Sadly that crap is expected. If Thornton isn't effective running the pick'n'roll, a hall of fame coach isn't going to stick with it. Coaches like Johnny Jones and Scott Drew might keep those promises, and look where it gets them. This "family friend" needs to gtfo. I wonder what percentage of Derryck's future paycheck he's already signed himself up for.
04-11-2016 01:14 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(04-11-2016 01:14 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  
(04-11-2016 01:10 PM)tarheels15 Wrote:  Thornton's supposed uncle is not his biological uncle, he's very close to the family, and runs some hoops factory for prospects. He's claiming K lied about how DT would be used. Claims the major selling point on Duke was K's sales pitch to use Derryck in a PNR roll offense, and that they only ran that maybe 20 times on the year.
Sadly that crap is expected. If Thornton isn't effective running the pick'n'roll, a hall of fame coach isn't going to stick with it. Coaches like Johnny Jones and Scott Drew might keep those promises, and look where it gets them. This "family friend" needs to gtfo. I wonder what percentage of Derryck's future paycheck he's already signed himself up for.

If that's really the case, he failed to do his homework. If he had watched film, he would see that the pnr and the 3 man weave are the only two plays that uofl runs.
04-11-2016 01:19 PM
tarheels15 Offline

In worse Duke news, they are looking likely to land 5* Marques Bolden. I don't even want to watch next year...
04-11-2016 01:23 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(04-11-2016 01:10 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  He could be a good player with time, but I don't think K owed him any favors just because he reclassified.

Totally agree with you there. He doesn't owe him anything, but I'm guessing Thornton listened to these very aggressive sales tactics and (correctly or not) got the idea that he would have an opportunity to grow at said school and be in the mix. I can understand benching him for the stretch run of ACC play and the NCAA Tourney, but I don't understand why you wouldn't run him out there against Utah State and Boston College.

He got major run in Duke's last two non-conference tune-ups, scoring 15ppg and dishing out 4apg (to go with 2 blocks and 3 steals), then basically disappears from that point forward. Not saying he was the next Tyus Jones, but he did put up double figures scoring 6 times in the OOC and passed out at least 4 assists in 6 OOC games.

I guess what I find abhorrent is the emerging philosophy in Durham that if you aren't ready-made for stardom, you aren't worth the time to be coached up. K is selling out to the same devil that Cal did, but he's actually a very good coach. Kids should get to benefit from that, but it appears he'll just become another 6-month stop for a slew of NBA lotto picks. Guys like Thornton, Amile Jefferson, and the Plumlee family tree don't have a home in this new Duke system.
04-11-2016 01:23 PM
Mike F Offline
Coach - Guardians of the Cassell

Came across this table at TechSideline.com for returning points (total & percentage) for each ACC team. As a percentage, the Hokies are #1. GT is in trouble and UNC still looks great.

[Image: ACC%20Pts.png]
04-11-2016 05:25 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

VT is in great shape with 2 legit stars, depth, experience, and a very underrated coach in Buzz Williams.
04-11-2016 09:52 PM
tarheels15 Offline

Dwayne Bacon returning to FSU. Some pretty good talent is still going to be around next year.
04-15-2016 10:15 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

There's going to be talent, but it's going to be more of a guessing game than past years. 16 guards leaving who played more than 30 minutes a night
Cat Barber
Michael Gbinije
Demetrius Jackson
Damion Lee
Trevor Cooney
Jordan Roper
Marcus Georges-Hunt
Malcolm Brogdon
James Robinson
Eli Carter
Sheldon McClellan
Adam Smith
Marcus Paige
Angel Rodriguez
Codi Miller-McIntyre
Malik Beasley
04-15-2016 01:28 PM
tarheels15 Offline

Yeah a lot of seniors are leaving but I like the uncertainty. Makes it more important to find info from early practices, and tidbits.
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2016 01:40 PM by tarheels15.)
04-15-2016 01:40 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Quite late, but realized no one added Malachi Richardson to the early declarations. Said he isn't hiring an agent, but the news reports also made it sound like he's going through the whole draft. Essentially pulling a Randolph Morris where if he isn't drafted in either round he can come back.

Is this an insanely weak NBA class or did everyone lose their collective mind this spring?
04-21-2016 08:29 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

It's a culture problem in college basketball right now. Richardson is a future NBA shooting guard, but he's not ready. All these 18 year olds who think they're ready to compete with grown ass men has me thinking they need a good whipping with a yard stick by the school nun. Get their asses in line. They're all basically saying, "Your college education is worthless to me. I'd rather make $25,000 a year in the D-league than get $50,000 in college benefits - including a degree."

-----------------------------------------------
As of Monday night, Richardson was the 89th non-senior to declare for the draft, according to DraftExpress.com.
-----------------------------------------------

89 non-seniors - LOL. So at least 50 of the declared players will be in the scrub league or learning a new language. How many college studs have to be relegated to the D-League and slapped in the face by bankrupcy before the next geneation realizes staying in college is the best option?
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2016 09:17 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
04-21-2016 09:12 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Justin Jackson and V.J. Beachem have also declared, but not signed an agent. I'm thinking about declaring too. I'm looking forward to May 25th - the only day where these decisions actually matter.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2016 09:25 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
04-21-2016 09:19 AM