Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
THE BIG DANCE
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

RE: THE BIG DANCE
I wonder if he was trying to bluff Pitt into a raise/extension and they said "call"

But yeah, I'd much rather live in Dallas/Ft Worth and I don't even like Dallas/Ft Worth.
03-21-2016 04:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Ya know, I don't get it. I'm pretty well traveled in a sense. Not nearly as well traveled as a lot of you. But a lot of you allude to cities with coaching/recruiting questions. I understand the appeal of a NYC or a LA or Miami to some people. Those I get. What I don't get is how Dallas is so much better than Pitt or St Louis is so much better than Indy or Denver is so much better than Louisville. Don't get me wrong, I love to travel and see new places but I've been all over within reason (to about 30 something states and 3 countries) and I've always thought at the end of the day Louisville is just as good of a place to live (in a city) as any city that I've been to. Now I don't know Pittsburgh. I'd definitely not want to be in chicago, atlanta, detroit or any of those hell holes. But I just don't get it how these middling destinations are so much different. I do fully appreciate the fact that HotHot and RA are much more well traveled and have lived in a lot more places than me, so I respect any other opinions on this. However, I just have serious doubts that Dixon was like damn I'm tired of Pitt....I need some dallas in my life. I just don't buy that motive in 99% of situations.
03-21-2016 05:47 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

(03-21-2016 03:33 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  If he can't win at Pitt with its at least middling prestige, what the Hades can he do at TCU against Kansas, the Texas Shakas, Oklahoma, Baylor, and Iowa State? The ACC is obviously the better league, but Pitt is also about 3 levels above TCU as a basketball program. Quick, name one successful coach or notable basketball alum from TCU.

Ummm ummm ummm ummm. Kurt Thomas? He is the only one I have heard of that I know came out of there......
03-21-2016 05:51 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

Considering Dixon cost me a trip to the title game, I'm glad to see them dump him. Mediocre coach since Blair
03-21-2016 06:40 PM
Red Alert Offline
-

Maybe the only person it has to make sense to is him. Maybe he's just doing it because he thinks he might be happier there? Low bar job, still good money, and don't have to deal with 3 feet of snow. Could just be that simple for him. and maybe Pitt was turning up the heat.
03-21-2016 06:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tarheels15 Offline
The next Mike Rice (Coach of Kitty Cats)

Rumor is Sean Miller may actually consider a Pitt offer. Maybe it's just me but I really hope this doesn't happen.
03-21-2016 06:51 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

Maybe he's tired of the northeast weather?
03-21-2016 06:55 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

I don't know if Pitt is really a step up from Arizona, although as a basketball coach, getting into the ACC would rank up there though.
03-21-2016 06:55 PM
tarheels15 Offline

Arizona is a much better job than Pitt, guess there is appeal in that it is Miller's alma mater, and his wife is from the east coast too. I just can't see him leaving the monopoly he has on west coast recruiting.
03-21-2016 07:00 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

He is supposed to wait and be available just in case Jurich finds it necessary for him to replace P
03-21-2016 07:02 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

(03-21-2016 07:02 PM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  He is supposed to wait and be available just in case Jurich finds it necessary for him to replace P

So are you saying l'il Ricky isn't the coach in waiting? Hahaha

That's why I don't do well in other sites. Two years ago guys were spouting that shit daily, even using the "insider" imprimatur. They didn't like being called fucking morons.
03-21-2016 07:17 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(03-21-2016 07:17 PM)Farmdude Wrote:  
(03-21-2016 07:02 PM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  He is supposed to wait and be available just in case Jurich finds it necessary for him to replace P

That's why I don't do well in other sites. Two years ago guys were spouting that shit daily, even using the "insider" imprimatur. They didn't like being called fucking morons.

Spouting what? That Richard is the heir apparent? At this point in his short career, I haven't seen anything that says he is anywhere near ready for this job.
03-21-2016 07:21 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Imprimatur? Well you're a festizio! I can make up words too, sister.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2016 07:24 PM by chrislindy.)
03-21-2016 07:24 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

(03-21-2016 07:21 PM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  
(03-21-2016 07:17 PM)Farmdude Wrote:  

Spouting what? That Richard is the heir apparent? At this point in his short career, I haven't seen anything that says he is anywhere near ready for this job.

You may have ended up calling them fucking morons also. Or you may have ignored them.
03-21-2016 08:18 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Google it. Fits perfectly.
03-21-2016 08:19 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Here's my fave: eschew obfuscation.
03-21-2016 08:41 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Festizio relates to one of the many perverted sex acts that accompany Festivus. If you need pics we will have to go to the CEBE basement.
03-21-2016 08:58 PM
tarheels15 Offline

Watching Georgia Tech-South Carolina in the little dance. Holy cow South Carolina is terrible
03-21-2016 09:22 PM
Red Alert Offline
-

(03-21-2016 09:22 PM)tarheels15 Wrote:  Watching Georgia Tech-South Carolina in the little dance. Holy cow South Carolina is terrible

Sweet 16 easy with the matchups the ACC got.Dodgy
03-21-2016 10:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

The Arizona job is overrated but all Pitt has going for it is home court advantage and ACC affiliation. You'd think merely being an alumnus won't be enough to woo a star like Miller, but sometimes change for change's sake is enough (see: Buzz).
03-22-2016 01:04 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(03-21-2016 05:47 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  Ya know, I don't get it. I'm pretty well traveled in a sense. Not nearly as well traveled as a lot of you. But a lot of you allude to cities with coaching/recruiting questions. I understand the appeal of a NYC or a LA or Miami to some people. Those I get. What I don't get is how Dallas is so much better than Pitt or St Louis is so much better than Indy or Denver is so much better than Louisville.

However, I just have serious doubts that Dixon was like damn I'm tired of Pitt....I need some dallas in my life. I just don't buy that motive in 99% of situations.

Pitt the city is actually pretty cool, great area near the baseball stadium at least from my one visit there (lol, full disclosure: I'm not a Pitt expert), not too big/busy compared to the big city options it offers from what I experienced. On paper, Pitt the city is a shoo-in over Dallas for me. But we all have our deal-breakers and living in the northeast and dealing with cold weather half the year is one of mine.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2016 10:50 PM by ULismyhothot.)
03-22-2016 01:57 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

Why is Arizona overrated? Arizona has some pretty good tradition compared to Pitt.

Arizona was very relevant back in the 90's They had some great teams. They beat UK in 97 to win it all. Runner up in 2001. They are that program right now like Denny had in his later years. Kinda like had that low flame but could never rekindle it. Made some runs but just couldnt finish. Theyve gone a hell of a lot farther than Pitt in the tournament the last decade. I wouldnt call them overrated as far as Pac 12 jobs at all.

Edit: Just researching Millers time at Arizona more. In the past 7 seasons.......3 elite eights and a sweet 16. Nuts to go to Pitt. No way. Stay out west dude.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2016 02:27 AM by Red Alert.)
03-22-2016 02:01 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

It's funny because people say we can't pull Miller but even he would be a huge step down from Rick. With all of the talent he's had and apparently never even been to a final four? I'll pass.
03-22-2016 10:39 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Agreed, if I had to have a Miller I would rather take a chance with Archie.
03-22-2016 10:43 AM
tarheels15 Offline

It's funny I keep thinking how much I want Sean Miller or Shaka Smart at UNC but with each passing season the luster seems to wear off with those two.
03-22-2016 10:51 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(03-22-2016 10:51 AM)tarheels15 Wrote:  It's funny I keep thinking how much I want Sean Miller or Shaka Smart at UNC but with each passing season the luster seems to wear off with those two.

This. Is why it's scary currently thinking about even trying to replace Pitino...
03-22-2016 10:57 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(03-22-2016 10:57 AM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  
(03-22-2016 10:51 AM)tarheels15 Wrote:  It's funny I keep thinking how much I want Sean Miller or Shaka Smart at UNC but with each passing season the luster seems to wear off with those two.

This. Is why it's scary currently thinking about even trying to replace Pitino...

+1

The next crop of college coaches is in no way guaranteed star status.
03-22-2016 11:37 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

I'd still love to have Miller or Smart as Pitinos heir. Hell, I'd even take the guy that just lost to 15 seed middle Tennessee in the first round
03-22-2016 01:51 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(03-22-2016 02:01 AM)Red Alert Wrote:  Why is Arizona overrated? Arizona has some pretty good tradition compared to Pitt.

That's all they have on Pitt. Sean Miller recruits really well, wins a lot of games out west and yet it still seems like he's been a tier or so below the top line of coaches in terms of overall coaching performance. Pitt is not a better job, but add in the other angles for Miller and it at least makes sense if he's just ready for a change.
03-22-2016 08:36 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

By the way, early today Miller basically released a statement saying that he wasn't going to Pitt. May have been a money thing. I believe him.

Also, yes it is going to be damn near impossible to replace rick. What's the odds that we go through at least one coach that lasts under 5 years before we get another long term hire? I'd say pretty high. The coaching landscape feels really weird to me right now. We'd have to pull a big name for me to feel completely confident that wasn't going to happen. I'm talking the type of guys that HotHot tells me aren't an option.
03-22-2016 09:56 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Saw that statement from Miller tonight; think he made the right call from a career standpoint. If he wants the ACC, surely there will be better jobs in the future. Maybe he doesn't care about his alma mater conference at all. Who knows, these guys are human, they have their own unique reasons.

I don't see any college coaching hire out there as a slam dunk but I think Archie is the guy who makes the most sense. Even if he only lasts 3 or 4 years, at least the next hire replaces Archie Miller instead of replacing HOF legend, 2x National Champion Rick Pitino. My fear in hiring Established Coach is him being just above average for 4 years and we feel more obligated to give him 4 more years and a huge buyout to never get past the Sweet 16 because he's established, seems competent on paper and future coaches might be less likely to take a job that suffered a sordid self-imposed ban (and maybe scholarship cuts) and even Established Coach couldn't win there (or the narrative is "they didn't give Established Coach enough time" should we fire him after 3 or 4 years). That flimsy logic might be null if we give Archie a huge contract and buyout, which might be necessary to get him depending on what other open jobs at the time are offering.

As for Miller, I think Arizona, even with their tradition, is not as good a job as say, Texas, our favorite coaching job talking point, lol. It's close but I'd put Texas slightly above AZ because their conference is better and the pressure is much lower. (Note: when I say this, I mean more than 50% of coaches would pick Texas over Arizona, but I'm not saying Texas as a basketball program has more tradition because they don't, or that the job is outright better than Arizona; more like 55/45 if you polled a bunch of current coaches.)

IMO, the odds of Sean Miller coming to Louisville are better than Shaka, especially considering Shaka's long term deal with Texas combined with the fact he's been there less than a year. If Pitino left this summer, what coach would leave that kind of a job at Texas with that longterm deal that early in the contract for a slight step up? Just don't see Shaka happening any time soon unless he sucks at Texas or something happens off-the-court there.

The elephant in the room with Louisville is the NCAA fallout that we're still in the dark about. Will whatever happens taint the job short term if we lose scholarships for multiple years? Or will it help lower the bar of expectations for fans, creating an easier situation for an up-and-comer to step in? Fans are fickle, the media will do what they do and I have no idea how this thing will turn out if Pitino steps down this summer and we're hit with something substantial.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2016 11:27 PM by ULismyhothot.)
03-22-2016 11:21 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Agree with most you said, hothot. I do think Louisville is a bigger step up than you give us credit for but probably not quite as much as I think. I'd be interested to see your thoughts about what I posted in tidbits recently and my new thread in the sports forum about the carousel. Because I read that Archie was contacted by Pitt too and wasn't interested. Wont go too deep on that, we'll leave that over in that thread.
03-22-2016 11:39 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(03-22-2016 11:39 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  Agree with most you said, hothot. I do think Louisville is a bigger step up than you give us credit for but probably not quite as much as I think. I'd be interested to see your thoughts about what I posted in tidbits recently and my new thread in the sports forum about the carousel. Because I read that Archie was contacted by Pitt too and wasn't interested. Wont go too deep on that, we'll leave that over in that thread.

ok cool, going to bed early (for me) but I'm interested to read what you said. I'll try to reply tonight.
03-22-2016 11:54 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-22-2016 11:21 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  My fear in hiring Established Coach is him being just above average for 4 years and we feel more obligated to give him 4 more years and a huge buyout to never get past the Sweet 16 because he's established
Were you intentionally describing the first 6 years of Pitino's UofL career? Wink Luckily Pitino escaped UL-Lafayette in the first round of 2005 or we might have canned him. I'll take the established coach over an up-and-comer. It's why I'd rather have Billy Donovan over a guy like Archie or Sean Miller. I'd be happy with any of the above though.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2016 09:46 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
03-23-2016 09:45 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(03-23-2016 09:45 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  
(03-22-2016 11:21 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  My fear in hiring Established Coach is him being just above average for 4 years and we feel more obligated to give him 4 more years and a huge buyout to never get past the Sweet 16 because he's established
Were you intentionally describing the first 6 years of Pitino's UofL career? Wink Luckily Pitino escaped UL-Lafayette in the first round of 2005 or we might have canned him. I'll take the established coach over an up-and-comer. It's why I'd rather have Billy Donovan over a guy like Archie or Sean Miller. I'd be happy with any of the above though.

Maybe he's worried about a Kragthorpe (shudders) type hire...
03-23-2016 09:54 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-23-2016 09:54 AM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  Maybe he's worried about a Kragthorpe (shudders) type hire...
That's exactly why I'm afraid of going after an up-and-comer who's never coached in a power conference. Archie has had some success in the big dance, but he doesn't know what it's like to play 15 games a season against that level of competition.
03-23-2016 09:56 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(03-23-2016 09:45 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  

Hah, true it's funny how things work out.

Even with pending NCAA infractions, the 2016 program seems different than 2001--we hadn't been to a Final Four in 15 years when Rick took over, fans were starting to become apathetic, aging facilities, etc. but obviously, Rick did have a pretty rocky start.

Pitino had 4 Final Four appearances on his resume when he took the job--and 3 within the previous decade (1991-2001). The only remotely realistic guys who have that kind of resume are Jim Calhoun (4) & Billy Donovan (4). I think these guys are a tier above Established Coach, fwiw, since they are already HOFers or will be in Billy's case.

Ben Howland has 3 FF appearances and would likely be a HOFer if he got back there again with another team and won.

Even guys like Bill Self, Thad Matta, Brad Stevens and Bob Huggins only have 2 FF appearances, but how do we strat them--Established Coach or Future HOF coach?
03-23-2016 10:50 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

It's too bad we don't have the old CE board to go back and read all those old posts about us bitching about Pitino. There was definitely some frustrations. The thing that always pissed me off was the transferring. We'd get in 4 new guys and two years later 2 of them are gone. That went on ALOT there for awhile.
03-23-2016 10:54 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(03-23-2016 10:54 AM)Red Alert Wrote:  It's too bad we don't have the old CE board to go back and read all those old posts about us bitching about Pitino. There was definitely some frustrations. The thing that always pissed me off was the transferring. We'd get in 4 new guys and two years later 2 of them are gone. That went on ALOT there for awhile.

We're STILL going through that. Have you forgotten Angel Nunez, Zach Price, Shaq Aaron... winning cures a lot of ails. The transfers still bug the crap out of me.
03-23-2016 11:42 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

(03-23-2016 11:42 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  
(03-23-2016 10:54 AM)Red Alert Wrote:  It's too bad we don't have the old CE board to go back and read all those old posts about us bitching about Pitino. There was definitely some frustrations. The thing that always pissed me off was the transferring. We'd get in 4 new guys and two years later 2 of them are gone. That went on ALOT there for awhile.

We're STILL going through that. Have you forgotten Angel Nunez, Zach Price, Shaq Aaron... winning cures a lot of ails. The transfers still bug the crap out of me.

True. Seems like it was a lot worse back in the earlier days though.
03-23-2016 11:51 AM