Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Music I'm Listening to.
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

RE: Music I'm Listening to.
(03-09-2016 10:22 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 11:10 AM)BereaCard Wrote:  +1 on the Chris Stapleton. My daughter introduced me to him.

+2; looks like someone I would hate, but his stuff is really good.

I'd basically given up on country because of jackwagons like Florida-Georgia Line and Luke Bryan. Saw everyone losing their shit about Stapleton's CMA duet with Justin Timberlake and took a closer look. He may not save country from the jacked-up truck/beer party/hillbilly frat music that has made it a joke, but I'm at least looking again.
03-09-2016 11:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Glad I'm not the only one who gets uncomfortable seeing the overly realistic HD TV's. It's almost robotic the movements in thos 60fps feeds.
03-09-2016 11:50 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(03-09-2016 11:50 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Glad I'm not the only one who gets uncomfortable seeing the overly realistic HD TV's. It's almost robotic the movements in thos 60fps feeds.

Ok thank god, I thought it was just me. Is it more tolerable for sports?
03-09-2016 11:57 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

Just give me a standard HD TV and I'm good. Even if I really enjoyed the picture, paying "4k" for a tv makes me feel ill
03-10-2016 07:39 AM
CardinalJunky Offline
I'm In The Spirit World As*hole

(03-09-2016 11:50 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Glad I'm not the only one who gets uncomfortable seeing the overly realistic HD TV's. It's almost robotic the movements in thos 60fps feeds.

I agree, the "video" look is terrible. The only time I want the picture to really "pop" is on sports. Some people don't know how to adjust their TV's though. The settings have to be changed after getting them out of the box and hooked up to component. The TV's come out of the box with the contrast and brightness pumped up and usually are set on some DYNAMIC mode. It makes the picture pop and overly pretty, but that's not how 99% of movies are shot.

I put mine on CINEMA or MOVIE mode, take down the contrast/brightness and the sharpness. It takes just a bit to adjust to a darker picture, but generally I want to watch a movie the way a director shot it.
03-10-2016 08:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Red Alert Offline
-

Soap opera effect can be turned off. I don't know about other TV's but on samsungs it called "Auto motion plus". Turn it off. All the way off. It's terrible.
03-10-2016 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I hate a screen that is too big for the room.
03-10-2016 09:26 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

(03-10-2016 08:00 AM)CardinalJunky Wrote:  

I agree, the "video" look is terrible. The only time I want the picture to really "pop" is on sports. Some people don't know how to adjust their TV's though. The settings have to be changed after getting them out of the box and hooked up to component. The TV's come out of the box with the contrast and brightness pumped up and usually are set on some DYNAMIC mode. It makes the picture pop and overly pretty, but that's not how 99% of movies are shot.

I put mine on CINEMA or MOVIE mode, take down the contrast/brightness and the sharpness. It takes just a bit to adjust to a darker picture, but generally I want to watch a movie the way a director shot it.

Yep. Put in movie mode. Set the color tone to warm2 or warm. Those two setitngs usually get the closest to the most accurate reference colors, regardless of manufacturer. Put the sharpness to 0 or close to it(or whatever the value is to where the tv isn't introducing artificial sharpness). And turn off all the video processing functions. I'm talking shit like noise filters, dynamic contrast, black tone, etc.....all that crap usually just degrades the picture even more.
03-10-2016 09:31 AM
Deanfor3! Offline
Coach of the Dragons

I agree. I bought a new Samsung 4K ultra-hd tv around black Friday. The only time I have my TV on dynamic mode is during sports or gaming. Otherwise its on natural or movie mode.
03-10-2016 09:50 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

I'm with Junky and Red on this one. The motion of 240Hz TVs throws me off, but it's nowhere near as offensive as bad picture settings. In addition to jacked up contrast and brightness, most manufacturers go heavy with greens so football fields really pop. A friend of mine bought a $2,500 Samsung 120 Hz LCD a few years ago and has the settings cranked up and he loves it - brightness, contrast, color, sharpness, etc. He comes to my house and says the calibrated projector looks dark. It's all in the eye of the beholder, but I've been semi-calibrating my TV's using a $20 Digital Video Essentials DVD for the last 10 years and that's the look I've gotten used to.

(03-10-2016 09:26 AM)Farmdude Wrote:  I hate a screen that is too big for the room.
It depends on the source. A rule of thumb for projectors is a screen size about 2/3rds of your viewing distance. For my basement, I sit 15' from the wall, so I bought a 10' screen. It made sense according to the guides I'd read. When I put this 120" screen together and hung it on the wall, I about lost my shit. It looked massive and I was REALLY afraid the picture was going to be obnoxious. I was dead wrong. With a projector, it's all reflected light (vs. a normal TV shooting light right at your face), so I have never gotten tired of watching movies even for 4 hours straight. A good projector setup costs the same or less than a nice 60" TV but is completely immersive and easier on the eyes. The only downside is they're very sensitive to light in the viewing room.

Edit: If/When they come out with affordable 4k projectors, I might have to go for broke and upgrade. Despite the huge screen, it's still only 1080/720 resolution, so the clarity isn't on the level of a 60" TV with the same number of pixels. It also can't even sniff the black levels of a plasma or OLED tv. All that said, still 100% worth it.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 10:09 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
03-10-2016 10:02 AM
CardinalJunky Offline

^^^ J-Rye, that's what I have used to "calibrate" my TV. One you get used to the darker, more cinematic look, it's hard to watch a TV that looks overly bright with the colors popping. It's an unnatural look in regards to film and how many TV dramas are shot these days.
03-10-2016 10:39 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Oh man, I can't stand dark TV's. Mine isn't super bright but I don't want to have trying to distinguish what something is and have half of my screen be a shadow.
03-10-2016 10:40 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

What each Tv mfr calls their "Soap opera" effect setting:

03-10-2016 10:54 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-10-2016 10:40 AM)DieHardCards Wrote:  Oh man, I can't stand dark TV's. Mine isn't super bright but I don't want to have trying to distinguish what something is and have half of my screen be a shadow.
Even worse is when all the shadows show up as a single shade of black because brightness isn't set right
03-10-2016 02:10 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Or every movie or show looks like sin city.
03-10-2016 02:15 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

If you're not familiar with the Jayhawks then you should be. They are masters of Americana or roots or whatever you want to call it. Here's a listen to a cut off of an unreleased (I believe) album. They will be at Headliners May 20. Also follow American Songrwriter on FB or sign up for their newsletter. Great stuff if you like this kind of music.

http://americansongwriter.com/2016/03/so...-her-eyes/
04-01-2016 10:05 AM
CardinalJunky Offline

(04-01-2016 10:05 AM)Farmdude Wrote:  If you're not familiar with the Jayhawks then you should be. They are masters of Americana or roots or whatever you want to call it. Here's a listen to a cut off of an unreleased (I believe) album. They will be at Headliners May 20. Also follow American Songrwriter on FB or sign up for their newsletter. Great stuff if you like this kind of music.

http://americansongwriter.com/2016/03/so...-her-eyes/

I'll be there. I've seen them several times and have all of their records (even Short Mans Room with Joe Henry). Gary Louris is a great pop writer and I mean this in all sincerity, their album "Sound of Lies" is one my top 10 favorites EVER.
04-01-2016 06:14 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

LOL every time I think they get too poppy they get grounded. Really delightful (don't use that very often) sound.
04-01-2016 07:45 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/07/473237504/...e-to-earth

New Sturgill
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2016 08:34 AM by ULismyhothot.)
04-07-2016 08:32 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Hey hot, I don't know if you've heard this but it is one intense piece of music. Simpson at the Newport Folk Festival.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/427719252...-folk-2015
04-07-2016 08:42 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(04-07-2016 08:42 AM)Farmdude Wrote:  Hey hot, I don't know if you've heard this but it is one intense piece of music. Simpson at the Newport Folk Festival.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/427719252...-folk-2015

Saw a buddy talking about it on twitter, but haven't listened yet.
04-07-2016 10:06 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

LOL love that he comes out to Skrillex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArLiHxso5u0

People new to his live music must be like "WTF?" before they see him on stage.
04-07-2016 10:10 AM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

FD-My wife was a huge fan of the Jayhawks. I liked them enough to listen when she put them on but I did not seek them out. Way back in 92 or 93 the Jayhawks opened for the Black Crowes. The Jayhawks were good and my wife loved it. Then, the Black Crowes came out, played one or two songs and walked off. Their tour manager got in a fight with some cops and they decided that they would punish us for it. I have tried to forgive them but I just can't. I still turn them off when they come on the radio.

Best line of the night was uttered by my wife- "Well, I had a great time!"
04-07-2016 10:21 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

LOL she sounds like my wife. I really enjoy sharing music with her. Gregg Allman up tonight at the Opera House.
04-07-2016 10:23 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

My wife and I like about 5% of each other's music collection, which sucks.
04-07-2016 10:36 AM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

(04-07-2016 10:23 AM)Farmdude Wrote:  LOL she sounds like my wife. I really enjoy sharing music with her. Gregg Allman up tonight at the Opera House.

Do you have tickets to Gregg Allman? His voice is better than ever these days and he has a great band. I thought about going but there is just too much other shit going on to make time for that. My daughter and I went down to Nashville last month to see the Tedeschi Trucks band at the Ryman (a show there should be on everyone's bucket list) so spending more money on shows at this point was not the correct choice.
04-07-2016 11:16 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(04-07-2016 10:36 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  My wife and I like about 5% of each other's music collection, which sucks.

Same. She hates pretty much everything I like in terms of new music. I admit I changed my preferences about 5 or so years ago. Had enjoyed/tolerated country music for a few years up to and after we met, but Florida-Georgia Line and Jason Aldean pretty much sent me away. I'll still listen to Eric Church, Chris Stapleton, and the like, but she doesn't like those guys and I HATE almost everything else country has become.

She was never a fan of hip-hop, R&B, rock, etc. It's like we split up both time and genre for music.
04-07-2016 11:33 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Yes I do. Had some friends see him in Danville and raved about the show. I saw the original Bros. numerous times.
04-07-2016 11:33 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(04-07-2016 10:36 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  My wife and I like about 5% of each other's music collection, which sucks.

haha, just thinking the same thing. We both like George Strait, Elvis and Sinatra and that's about it.
04-07-2016 11:59 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(Likely) overlooked songs you should listen to today:

Hopsin - Ill Mind of Hopsin 7
An artist who should probably get more time on mainstream waves, but (as he deftly points out in his own track "No Words") won't because he has a bit too much substance. This one details his struggles with faith, which is something that resonates strongly with me.

Chris Stapleton - Whiskey & You
Straight CLASSIC country song. Booze, heartbreak, and soul-searching for redemption in some form. Maybe not overlooked, but despite his Grammy the guy is getting barely any play on country radio stations (and frankly, I think the songs he put on the radio stink compared to this and a couple others on his Traveller album). If you want a specific format, I recommend the rendition he did for NPR 6 months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcHL0kUFPhw

Leon Bridges - Coming Home
Speaking of NPR Tiny Desk Concerts, found this guy after watching Stapleton's YouTube clip. Lot of Sam Cooke in his voice and sound. If you like 60's gospel/soul, he should get a few minutes of your day.
04-07-2016 12:11 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I'm not a Peter Gabriel fan but try this piece of music on, pretty incredible in my book. BTW Joan Osborne could abuse me all she wants.

04-07-2016 01:35 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(04-07-2016 12:11 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Hopsin - Ill Mind of Hopsin 7
An artist who should probably get more time on mainstream waves, but (as he deftly points out in his own track "No Words") won't because he has a bit too much substance. This one details his struggles with faith, which is something that resonates strongly with me.
I was blown away the first time I heard Ill Mind 5. I’ve never heard a rapper touch the things he does, partially because it’s not cool, but mostly because he’s one of the few that seems to have the mental capacity to provoke some real thought. Good call on Hopsin. It’s funny, because I’m as white as it gets, but I love the beat and the message of a few. I’m the guy who bumps Lupe Fiasco in my wife’s orange Ford Edge then turns it down at the stoplights to avoid those awkward looks. I couldn’t tell you why I care, but anyone who doesn’t fit the rap fan stereotype knows what I’m talking about. I do the same thing with metal songs that have a guy screaming over it. I don’t care for the screaming, but it’s just part of the genre. I’m like 60% rock/metal, 35% hip hop, and then 5% country because I have to have something I can listen to with the masses.
04-07-2016 03:13 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Flip rock and hip hop, throw in more pop (I have kids with opinions), and that's me.

Also, I do not turn down my rap at stop lights. I do purse my lips tighter than duck's asshole when the N word is said, however.
04-07-2016 03:47 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Nothing says hip hop like a 30 year old balding white dude wearing a polo and khakis in a Ford Edge

I couldn't even type that with a straight face
04-07-2016 03:54 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

You just described Eminem. Just saying.
04-07-2016 04:09 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

i like blaring Black Superman while slow-rolling through my town, which shows up in every "most churches per capita" conversation.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2016 10:55 PM by ULismyhothot.)
04-07-2016 10:55 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Music/artist you probably haven't heard and should listen to today: Tove Lo

Pop artist from Sweden. Starting to make some noise in Top 40 radio formats. May not be everyone's style, but she has a few songs that are strong examples of GOOD pop music. She is today what I would consider The Weeknd about four years ago. Making REALLY good pop music, but not quite in the mainstream spotlight. She'll be there soon enough.

Recommended listening: "Not on Drugs", "Habits" (this is the one you'll probably know/recognize), "Out of Mind"

PS - I fully disclose that she is a curly-haired brunette with features not unlike Keri Russell, who just so happens to flash audiences during live performances of her song "Talking Body". I have a thing for Keri Russell, so...
04-08-2016 09:51 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

04-18-2016 01:45 PM