CAD I would love to borrow that sometime
02-12-2016 01:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

RE: Music I'm Listening to.
(02-12-2016 01:10 PM)BereaCard Wrote:  
(02-12-2016 12:52 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  In my opinion, vocals are the only reason country is popular, because it doesn't off much musically. I can really appreciate great singers, Adelle as an example, but country in general has never done much for me. I'm mediocre on the drums with no structured lessons, and I could play 80% of the country songs I hear on the radio.

I agree on that if we keep it to strictly country. There were and are some great musicians playing bluegrass and Western Swing.

But, overall, I don't listen to much country. When I was thinking of vocals earlier, I was thinking of folks like Susan Tedeschi, Sharon Jones, Warren Haynes, Ben Harper...

Country music has never been about outstanding vocals. It was about storytelling and emotion. The greatest country "singers" of all-time were pretty mediocre/bad vocalists (Garth Brooks, Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Willie Nelson). Kenny Rogers may be the greatest vocalist of the genre, but he still relied on some great stories in his music (Lucille, The Gambler, Coward of the County, Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town).

The allure of country music for me was always about storytelling. George Jones' "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is sang to sound so uplifting, but the lyrics tell a very different story. You have classics like Jones' "Grand Tour", Marty Robbins' "El Paso" (heard in Breaking Bad), Vince Gill's "Pocket Full of Gold", Dolly Parton's "Jolene", just about everything Johnny Cash ever made ("Folsom County Blues", "Boy Named Sue", "One Piece at a Time").

They haven't aged particularly well, but you can add in other semi-recent items like Reba McEntire's "Fancy", Alan Jackson's "Midnight in Montgomery", or Martina McBride's "Independence Day". Jamey Johnson was the one guy to try to keep the story-telling spirit of country alive with his 2008 song "In Color" and Eric Church seemed to be on that path with songs like "Springsteen" and "Homeboy", but most artists today want to sing nonsense about all the stereotypical hick things (trucks, blonde girls, and beer).
02-12-2016 02:06 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

(02-12-2016 02:06 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  ...most artists today want to sing nonsense about all the stereotypical hick things (trucks, blonde girls, and beer).
That's because the ignorant masses eat it up. Good artists are hard to find, and eventually most of them turn mainstream, following the money. I don't blame them, but it's really dissappointing when a band like Linkin Park goes from revolutionary to a dumpster fire because they hired a publicist who wants them to sound like Coldplay.
02-12-2016 03:09 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

As long as we are throwing out videos and talking about excellent vocals, thought I would would share this. Keep in mind that this is an audience video and they are even better sounding when you are there. Total goosebumps at about 4:06.

02-12-2016 04:10 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Video doesn't do it justice, but it's easy to tell she has a phenominal voice
02-12-2016 05:01 PM
nicklindy Offline
Coach of the Wheats

Taylor Swift, 1989...can't beat it. Her lyrical genius does it for me....LMAO.
02-12-2016 06:56 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I'd let her do me.
02-12-2016 09:26 PM
nicklindy Offline
Coach of the Wheats

(02-12-2016 09:26 PM)Farmdude Wrote:  I'd let her do me.

Pretty sure the hot or not thread from a year ago solidified that we all would.
02-12-2016 10:02 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(02-12-2016 01:22 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  
(02-12-2016 12:55 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  what equipment do you guys use for listening to music? Prefer certain cans/buds? Surround sound? Shove in the trunk?
I recently dove into the bottomless pit of home audio upgrades. A set of high fidelity bookshelf speakers and a reference subwoofer is hard to beat. Quality headphones (no, not Beats) can make a huge difference too. It's amazing how the right equipment can change the way music sounds. But the more I have, the more I realize what I don't have. It's almost like ignorance is preferred, because once I realized what I was missing, it's hard to go back to music on a couple of tiny Polk Satellite speakers.

What sub did you get? Any other sub recs? My 12 year old HSU Research (VTF2 MK2) bit the dust last summer.

I'm using 4 bookshelf (Ascend CBM-170) and a center (Ascend CMT-340) that do well with vocals and mids but really need a sub and a good receiver. The speakers are 11.5 years old and have gone through 3 different receivers, lol. Current receiver, a lower mid-grade Onkyo (NR-609) is outdated and has already been refurbished once on onkyo's dime due to a bad HDMI board. Should prob retire it to the office TV and upgrade it with the new sub to make it worthwhile. Got my parents the lowest end Denon receiver a few Christmases back and it's perfect for their small setup but I've heard Denon has gone downhill recently. Need to do some research but I'll probably wait till after the wedding to buy.

Can you put a sub on a registry? Lol
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2016 11:50 AM by ULismyhothot.)
02-13-2016 11:49 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

(02-12-2016 12:55 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  what equipment do you guys use for listening to music? Prefer certain cans/buds? Surround sound? Shove in the trunk?
I recently dove into the bottomless pit of home audio upgrades. A set of high fidelity bookshelf speakers and a reference subwoofer is hard to beat. Quality headphones (no, not Beats) can make a huge difference too. It's amazing how the right equipment can change the way music sounds. But the more I have, the more I realize what I don't have. It's almost like ignorance is preferred, because once I realized what I was missing, it's hard to go back to music on a couple of tiny Polk Satellite speakers.

I would compare this to a lot of guys who have huge gun collections, golf club obsessions, guitar or other instrument collections, etc. They go buy one. ....and then can't stop buyin.
02-13-2016 12:05 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Floyd is timeless. My dad still talks about their Animals tour at Freedom Hall in '77 where he and his sister were passed a joint while they were sitting next to their hard-ass ex-marine father.
02-13-2016 12:09 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(02-13-2016 11:49 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  

What sub did you get? Any other sub recs? My 12 year old HSU Research (VTF2 MK2) bit the dust last summer.

I'm using 4 bookshelf (Ascend CBM-170) and a center (Ascend CMT-340) that do well with vocals and mids but really need a sub and a good receiver. The speakers are 11.5 years old and have gone through 3 different receivers, lol. Current receiver, a lower mid-grade Onkyo (NR-609) is outdated and has already been refurbished once on onkyo's dime due to a bad HDMI board. Should prob retire it to the office TV and upgrade it with the new sub to make it worthwhile. Got my parents the lowest end Denon receiver a few Christmases back and it's perfect for their small setup but I've heard Denon has gone downhill recently. Need to do some research but I'll probably wait till after the wedding to buy.

Can you put a sub on a registry? Lol
The HSU is a great sub. I just bought the Klipsch R-112sw but haven't had the chance to really test it yet. So far so good. In the $500 price range the Rythmik LV12R can't be beat (from what I've read). The SVS PB-1000 is a close second, but is primarily a home theater sub. I got the Klipsch locally for a great price or I would have went with the Rythmik. Of course every self proclaimed audiophile will tell you to buy 2, but I just haven't made that jump yet.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2016 01:25 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
02-13-2016 01:23 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(02-13-2016 01:23 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  
(02-13-2016 11:49 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  What sub did you get? Any other sub recs? My 12 year old HSU Research (VTF2 MK2) bit the dust last summer.
The HSU is a great sub. I just bought the Klipsch R-112sw but haven't had the chance to really test it yet. So far so good. In the $500 price range the Rythmik LV12R can't be beat (from what I've read). The SVS PB-1000 is a close second, but is primarily a home theater sub. I got the Klipsch locally for a great price or I would have went with the Rythmik. Of course every self proclaimed audiophile will tell you to buy 2, but I just haven't made that jump yet.

Thanks for the recs, I'll check them out. The HSU was a beast for what I paid for it. I've read some threads online that you can buy an amp board/plate and replace the old one in the HSU and it'll last another 5+ years. Might try that first and if it works out, upgrade to a .2 system with a new sub later.

We did some pre-Registry shopping today and stopped at Best Buy to test out some subs, speakers and soundbars. The 10" Klipsch Ref is what I'd go with if I were buying right now. Impressed with the Klipsch soundbar if we decide to go minimalist when/if my bookshelf speakers stop working.

Ladyfriend would prefer to go wireless, so we tested the Sonos system at Best Buy, too. Pretty solid sound, but I don't know anything about them. Y'all have any experience with Sonos?
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2016 07:51 PM by ULismyhothot.)
02-13-2016 07:49 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

I don't. I'm always weary of interference with wireless speakers
02-14-2016 12:02 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

Ive been rocking definitive tehnnology for years. Can't go wrong with them IMO. Always rate well in reviews.

http://www.definitivetech.com/

I bought their procinema 800 system years ago. Not top of the line for them but even then it isnt cheap(in my budget anyway). Can't speak for music but for movies its wonderful. Very high quality.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/p...800-system

All depends on how much you want to spend.

I've always used yamaha recievers but there really isnt one better than the other in that department IMO. I've just stuck with yamaha because thats what I'm most familiar with. If youre in the market for a new receiver then make sure its up to the standards for 4k. Which most new ones are nowadays but just in case make sure. I'm talking HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. All those are required for passing thru 4k. Even if you're not on board with 4k yet thats just the way its going. 1080p is walking dead. Not for cable or broadcast tv but most tv's will be 4k..
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2016 01:39 AM by Red Alert.)
02-14-2016 12:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Lol I've still got a 720p plasma made in 2006. Looked at receivers this weekend & after my awful experience with Onkyo, I'm leaning Denon next whenever the ol plasma dies and I have to upgrade to 4K. Kinda impressed it's lived this long, through 3 big moves. Props to Panasonic.
02-14-2016 11:03 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Definitely worth a listen.
02-14-2016 11:54 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Harmon Kardon is another solid receiver worth considering. They generally list their power lower than other major brands, but I've heard that's because they evaluate it differently. I have an AVR 147 and 347 that I've been happy with for quite a few years.
02-14-2016 12:39 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

The AVR 435 was the first big home audio purchase I made (circa 2005) and it died on me after moving to South Dakota in 2010. That thing weighed almost 50 pounds.

Ended up selling it as-is in a garage sale here in Texas; wish I could find out if that guy was able to get it working again.
02-14-2016 12:58 PM
Red Alert Offline
-

Anybody got some info on a quality pair of headphones to buy? Thats mostly what I listen to when I listen to music. From what I've read this $300 pair of beats studio I paid for 4 years ago really arent doing me justice. They sound fine to me but maybe I just dont understand what good sound reproduction is. Looking to spend the same amount. $300-400
02-17-2016 12:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Sennheiser HD25-1-II is the recommendation I found when I was looking a while back.

For the budget price, Koss Portapros are supposed to be great and carry a lifetime warranty.
02-17-2016 08:30 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

I second the Sennheiser rec. I've been using the HD 598 ($150) for 4.5 years and love them. Lindy's rec is about $250 but they are closed (isolate noise) whereas the 598's are open. If you use these at work or in public very often you probably want closed. Open is just a preference thing for me and I use buds in public anyways, but some folks swear they produce a superior sound to closed.

The bass is not comparable to your Beats, or several other brands but overall the sound is excellent. Comfort is unmatched. Never experienced ear fatigue with the plush 598s, guessing it's similar for all their high end over-ears.
02-17-2016 10:30 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

If you only listen to rap, Beats are probably just fine, but if you like the full range of music they're about $200 overpriced. Now that my stereo is 2 floors away from my kids' bedrooms, I rarely listen through headphones. I have a $50 pair of Sony's and $25 pair of JVC that suit me just fine for the office and mowing the grass.
02-17-2016 11:02 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(02-17-2016 11:02 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  If you only listen to rap, Beats are probably just fine, but if you like the full range of music they're about $200 overpriced. Now that my stereo is 2 floors away from my kids' bedrooms, I rarely listen through headphones. I have a $50 pair of Sony's and $25 pair of JVC that suit me just fine for the office and mowing the grass.

sometimes I prefer watching movies with my over-ears on a smaller screen. It's not necessarily a better experience than via my stereo system + 50" plasma, but just different.
02-17-2016 12:08 PM
Red Alert Offline
-

Thanks for the info. I pretty much listen to everything except country.
02-17-2016 09:12 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Sturgill made the theme for HBO's new series "Vinyl"

https://open.spotify.com/track/1LWW4PgKyEVOdWRl4JKM4Q#
02-18-2016 11:07 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Here's a guy I listen to a lot. Great songwriter pleasant voice.

02-18-2016 11:30 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I meant to post this last week.

Went to see Warren Haynes, he fucking burned the house down. I'm not sure I've seen a better collection of musicians on stage.
03-09-2016 09:44 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

For those of you who enjoy Haggard and the old country legends (I know Junky is a fan), you should check out Chris Stapleton. Won the Grammy this year for Country Album... really great mix of throwback country sound and a strong dose of blues. I recommend Whiskey & You, Tennessee Whiskey, and When the Stars Come Out to get a sampling of his music chops.

03-09-2016 10:08 AM
CardinalJunky Offline
I'm In The Spirit World As*hole

I've been spinning the Replacements "Twin Tone" years LP's lately. Brought on by the new book by Bob Mehr on the band.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Twin-Tone-Year...B00XO2A1LE
03-09-2016 10:11 AM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

+1 on the Chris Stapleton. My daughter introduced me to him.
03-09-2016 11:10 AM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

(03-09-2016 09:44 AM)Farmdude Wrote:  I meant to post this last week.

Went to see Warren Haynes, he fucking burned the house down. I'm not sure I've seen a better collection of musicians on stage.
Warren Haynes brings it every single time. And, a super nice guy to boot.
03-09-2016 11:11 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Damon Moberly is the one who "discovered" Stapleton.
03-09-2016 12:08 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Three recent albums by legends and they are all their best IMO. Loretta, Wynonna and.........wait for it.........Tom Jones.
03-09-2016 03:19 PM
CardinalJunky Offline
I'm In The Spirit World As*hole

(02-14-2016 11:03 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  Lol I've still got a 720p plasma made in 2006. Looked at receivers this weekend & after my awful experience with Onkyo, I'm leaning Denon next whenever the ol plasma dies and I have to upgrade to 4K. Kinda impressed it's lived this long, through 3 big moves. Props to Panasonic.

Hell yeah.....don't run from it, embrace it! I'm the proud owner of a Samsung Plasma 720 P. Hellacious picture. I'm pissed that they are pretty much done with manufacturing them.
03-09-2016 03:37 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(03-09-2016 03:37 PM)CardinalJunky Wrote:  
(02-14-2016 11:03 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  Lol I've still got a 720p plasma made in 2006. Looked at receivers this weekend & after my awful experience with Onkyo, I'm leaning Denon next whenever the ol plasma dies and I have to upgrade to 4K. Kinda impressed it's lived this long, through 3 big moves. Props to Panasonic.

Hell yeah.....don't run from it, embrace it! I'm the proud owner of a Samsung Plasma 720 P. Hellacious picture. I'm pissed that they are pretty much done with manufacturing them.

I know this sounds weird, but when you watch TV at someone's house who has a 4K or even just a new HD LCD screen, does it look too fake to you? Like sometimes I want a movie to look like a movie not like I'm in the room with them. Just feels over-produced or so HD it's like I know it's fake. I don't know how to explain this well, but sometimes high definition can be a little too defined for me. Sports are different; higher def the better I guess.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 10:21 PM by ULismyhothot.)
03-09-2016 10:18 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(03-09-2016 11:10 AM)BereaCard Wrote:  +1 on the Chris Stapleton. My daughter introduced me to him.

+2; looks like someone I would hate, but his stuff is really good.
03-09-2016 10:22 PM
nicklindy Offline
Coach of the Wheats

(03-09-2016 11:11 AM)BereaCard Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 09:44 AM)Farmdude Wrote:  I meant to post this last week.

Warren Haynes brings it every single time. And, a super nice guy to boot.

Listen to cortez the killer with. DaveMatthews Band. Warren haynes kills it there too
03-09-2016 10:26 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(03-09-2016 10:18 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 03:37 PM)CardinalJunky Wrote:  

I know this sounds weird, but when you watch TV at someone's house who has a 4K or even just a new HD LCD screen, does it look too fake to you? Like sometimes I want a movie to look like a movie not like I'm in the room with them. Just feels over-produced or so HD it's like I know it's fake. I don't know how to explain this well, but sometimes high definition can be a little too defined for me. Sports are different; higher def the better I guess.

I know what you mean and I agree. The "soap opera" look. I was watching something a bit low budget or indie or something the other day and it looked way too "real". I was looking this up but apparently there is a filter or something that most movie companies use to avoid this effect. I didn't fact check so I can't verify the validity.
03-09-2016 10:30 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Yes, "soap opera" is a good term for that. That's how I feel when I watch the new LCD screens. This happens mostly with TV shows when I'm at other folks' house come to think of it, so the movie filter thing makes sense.
03-09-2016 10:53 PM