Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Music I'm Listening to.
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

Music I'm Listening to.
For anyone who is into any of the classic rock genre and looking for something good to checkout, I would recommend a couple live albums here below (if you haven't already heard them) :

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - The Live Anthology
Billy Joel - Live at Shea Stadium
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 09:54 PM by CardsAllDay13.)
01-07-2016 11:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

RE: Music
I may have put this up before, but if you are fan of classic rock, blues or soul, you owe it to yourself to check out the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Incredible band and still young enough to tour all the time.
01-07-2016 12:22 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

RE: Music I'm Listening to.
moving on to the modern rock genre, I have really enjoyed these albums lately. Granted i know some of these artists you either love them or hate them. Once again, I generally like listening to entire albums to find the hidden (non-hit) songs that end up enjoying as much or more the the released singles. If you are into modern rock, and you haven't heard these, take a listen.

Seether - Isolate and Medicate
Halestorm - Into the wildlife.
Shinedown - Somewhere in the Stratosphere (live)
Muse - The Second Law
Skillet - Awake and Alive
Skillet - Hero

What are you listening to?
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 10:01 PM by CardsAllDay13.)
02-10-2016 10:00 PM
Red Alert Offline
-

(02-10-2016 10:00 PM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  moving on to the modern rock genre, I have really enjoyed these albums lately. Granted i know some of these artists you either love them or hate them. Once again, I generally like listening to entire albums to find the hidden (non-hit) songs that end up enjoying as much or more the the released singles. If you are into modern rock, and you haven't heard these, take a listen.

Muse - The Second Law
Skillet - Hero

02-10-2016 10:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(02-10-2016 10:06 PM)Red Alert Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 10:00 PM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  moving on to the modern rock genre, I have really enjoyed these albums lately. Granted i know some of these artists you either love them or hate them. Once again, I generally like listening to entire albums to find the hidden (non-hit) songs that end up enjoying as much or more the the released singles. If you are into modern rock, and you haven't heard these, take a listen.

Muse - The Second Law
Skillet - Hero

All I see is a picture of Jon Lovitz handing the DJ a record.....
02-10-2016 10:13 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

What I'm listening to

(Heavy) Angel Vivaldi - Away with words/Winter/Summer/Autumn
(Masterpiece) David Maxim Micic - Bilo 1.0/3.0
(Laid back) Plini - Sweet Nothings/The End of Everything
(Heavy) Sithu Aye - Cassini/Invent the Universe

Yeah, it's what .00001% of the population listens to. But give it a chance and you will find yourself in a musical nirvana. Those guys/bands are the Mozart of what I consider progressive rock/metal. Just make sure you have a great set of speakers or headphones to get the full effect.
02-10-2016 11:17 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

I've been listening to less and less music since my 20s; I guess I had a longer commute and traveled long distances by car more frequently back then. I have some nice cans and an aging bandpass box in the car, but sadly I almost exclusively listen to podcasts now when I'm driving or traveling. 27 year old me would call 34 year old me weird.

Most weeks, the only time I listen to music is when I study (classical/natural sounds) and when i work out and, as one would imagine, I prefer something a little upbeat when working out, so mostly hip hop or metallica. Sometimes I listen to friggin' EDM when I go for a run when I tire of rap lyrics. My guilty pleasure, when I'm doing some yoga/pilates shit, I really enjoy something like Sia. No shame at all. If it gets me through the workout, I'm down.
02-11-2016 01:43 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

http://www.npr.org/event/music/427719252...-folk-2015
02-11-2016 10:15 AM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

(02-11-2016 10:15 AM)Farmdude Wrote:  http://www.npr.org/event/music/427719252...-folk-2015
I raised my daughter right in terms of music and she brought Sturgill and Chris Stapleton to my attention.
02-11-2016 10:18 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Both Ky boys.

That is where the good music is nowadays. Jason Isbell, Jamie Johnson, James McMurtry, Joe Ely...........

Check out Mary Gauthier sometime.
02-11-2016 10:23 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Love Sturgill.
02-11-2016 10:27 AM
Red Alert Offline
-

Between the food thread, the beer thread and this thread I'm quickly realizing just how un-eclectic I am.Confused
02-11-2016 10:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(02-11-2016 10:45 AM)Red Alert Wrote:  Between the food thread, the beer thread and this thread I'm quickly realizing just how un-eclectic I am.Confused

*Washes his pizza rolls down with bud light and turns up the nickelback*
02-11-2016 02:55 PM
Red Alert Offline
-

(02-11-2016 02:55 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  
(02-11-2016 10:45 AM)Red Alert Wrote:  Between the food thread, the beer thread and this thread I'm quickly realizing just how un-eclectic I am.Confused

2 out of 3 correct.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2016 03:04 PM by Red Alert.)
02-11-2016 03:03 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(02-11-2016 03:03 PM)Red Alert Wrote:  
(02-11-2016 02:55 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  

2 out of 3 correct.

I didn't have you pegged for an ICP guy. Lol
02-11-2016 03:05 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

New Missy Elliott anyone?

Is it sad that - when I even listen to music - chances are its pop music if it's new? Rap is terrible, country music has become a total joke, and I'm not hipster enough to go around looking for something "I probably don't know".

In my continuing evolution towards Eastwood status, I'm getting painfully close to tapping out on the new music world.
02-11-2016 03:41 PM
Red Alert Offline
-

I have Sirius and if listening to rap 99% of the time its on Backspin(classic rap). Rap today is beyond terrible. For rock it's usually on lithium(grunge) or classic rewind or classic vinyl(both classic rock).
02-11-2016 03:50 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

(02-11-2016 03:41 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  country music has become a total joke

You should give a listen to Sturgill Simpson and Chris Stapleton. They both have a vintage country sound to their vocals (think a little Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings) with a bit of a rock and roll edge. And, quality musicians in their bands. I am really surprised to be listening to modern country and liking it.
02-11-2016 04:28 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

(02-11-2016 01:43 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  I've been listening to less and less music since my 20s; I guess I had a longer commute and traveled long distances by car more frequently back then. I have some nice cans and an aging bandpass box in the car, but sadly I almost exclusively listen to podcasts now when I'm driving or traveling. 27 year old me would call 34 year old me weird.

I went through that in my 30's, too. I was listening to NPR and news way more than music. I just was not interested, to be honest. But, the last few years I have found myself getting back into what I liked before and adding a few new bands to list to add a little variety. It helps to have a lot of music on my phone. I can throw it on shuffle in the car and jam while I travel.
02-11-2016 04:32 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(02-11-2016 04:32 PM)BereaCard Wrote:  
(02-11-2016 01:43 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  I've been listening to less and less music since my 20s; I guess I had a longer commute and traveled long distances by car more frequently back then. I have some nice cans and an aging bandpass box in the car, but sadly I almost exclusively listen to podcasts now when I'm driving or traveling. 27 year old me would call 34 year old me weird.

I went through that in my 30's, too. I was listening to NPR and news way more than music. I just was not interested, to be honest. But, the last few years I have found myself getting back into what I liked before and adding a few new bands to list to add a little variety. It helps to have a lot of music on my phone. I can throw it on shuffle in the car and jam while I travel.

I got a discounted version of Spotify premium when I started running again last summer and I find myself annoyed when I have to listen to commercials on the radio in someone else's car now. Completely replaced the XM Radio subscription I had throughout my 20s, especially now that podcasts are so easily accessible on phones.
02-11-2016 11:45 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

Yea I am a spotify person too. For me it's definitely worth the cost for a huge on demand library and the ability of offline caching for times when I don't have cell service.
02-12-2016 07:31 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

For anyone who even remotely likes Metallica (or heavy rock in general), you owe it to yourselft to listen to these instrumental bands. Seriously. I'm trying to do you a favor here.

Animals as Leaders - On Impulse
Angel Vivaldi - Winter/Summer/Autumn
Sithu Aye - Cassini

I will sit in the man cave after the kids go to sleep and listen to bands like this a couple nights a week. And those aren't even the best of what I could recommend. They're more of an entry level instrumental rock. Vivaldi is PERFECT workout music.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 09:52 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
02-12-2016 09:52 AM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

Sign me up for some metallica-like music.
02-12-2016 11:09 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

These bands go way beyond the musical capability and creativity of Metallica, but it's the closest parallel I could draw for 30 something's like myself. For starters, it's all instrumental, but that's why I love it.
02-12-2016 11:31 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

I wonder how far away we are from returning to all-instrumental music? With the music successes of the last 20 years (??) basically being tied to producers more than singers, I feel like the only reason we NEED vocals is because of long-standing habit. Singers are largely auto-tuned today anyway and a breakout artist is often just the lucky guy/girl who got chosen to be on the latest David Guetta, Skrillex, or Diplo album. Looking at you, Sia and Ellie Goulding.

In short, chances are the pop (and even R&B/rap) song you are hearing on perma-loop right now was produced by Pharrell, Timbaland, or one of the guys I listed above. Additionally, you don't actually enjoy it for the vocals/lyrics... it just has a sick, catchy beat that would still get you moving even if the lyrics were Baa Baa Black Sheep or a 3 minute ode to scat play.
02-12-2016 12:02 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

I'll have to check them out. In all honestly I'm more of a GNR/van halen (not van hagar) type a guy. But still like the Metallica sound.
02-12-2016 12:03 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(02-12-2016 12:02 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  I wonder how far away we are from returning to all-instrumental music? With the music successes of the last 20 years (??) basically being tied to producers more than singers, I feel like the only reason we NEED vocals is because of long-standing habit. Singers are largely auto-tuned today anyway and a breakout artist is often just the lucky guy/girl who got chosen to be on the latest David Guetta, Skrillex, or Diplo album. Looking at you, Sia and Ellie Goulding.

In short, chances are the pop (and even R&B/rap) song you are hearing on perma-loop right now was produced by Pharrell, Timbaland, or one of the guys I listed above. Additionally, you don't actually enjoy it for the vocals/lyrics... it just has a sick, catchy beat that would still get you moving even if the lyrics were Baa Baa Black Sheep or a 3 minute ode to scat play.

Prime example - daft punk - get lucky.
02-12-2016 12:05 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

(02-12-2016 12:02 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  I wonder how far away we are from returning to all-instrumental music? With the music successes of the last 20 years (??) basically being tied to producers more than singers, I feel like the only reason we NEED vocals is because of long-standing habit. Singers are largely auto-tuned today anyway and a breakout artist is often just the lucky guy/girl who got chosen to be on the latest David Guetta, Skrillex, or Diplo album. Looking at you, Sia and Ellie Goulding.

Maybe vocals will go away in pop, but in my music land, the quality of the vocals is pretty important. There are plenty of great singers who fall outside the boundaries of pop.
02-12-2016 12:22 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

I appreciate metal but nostalgia is the only reason I use Metallica every now and then as a break from rap/pop during a run/workout. After 2 songs, I'm ready to move on to something else. Loved that stuff in my teenage and early 20s angst whatever period but just doesn't do it for me now. Instrumentals are something I could see myself getting into more; sometimes I break up my study/focus classical music with stuff like J was describing (I think).

Metallica appeared on the not-worth-watching new Showtime series "Billions" last week, btw. Prob the highlight of the series.
02-12-2016 12:52 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(02-12-2016 12:22 PM)BereaCard Wrote:  

Maybe vocals will go away in pop, but in my music land, the quality of the vocals is pretty important. There are plenty of great singers who fall outside the boundaries of pop.
In my opinion, vocals are the only reason country is popular, because it doesn't off much musically. I can really appreciate great singers, Adelle as an example, but country in general has never done much for me. I'm mediocre on the drums with no structured lessons, and I could play 80% of the country songs I hear on the radio.
02-12-2016 12:52 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

what equipment do you guys use for listening to music? Prefer certain cans/buds? Surround sound? Shove in the trunk?
02-12-2016 12:55 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Re: vocals

Thinking about the times when I've been "moved" or affected the most by music, the list would be dominated by elite vocalists, half of whom were only accompanied by one instrument or none at all. The one request I told my ladyfriend I want at our wedding ceremony is a tenor who can bust something out sans accompaniment. No clue what he will sing yet but it's gonna make people cry, god dammit. She thinks it's a little odd.

So, any of you guys a classically trained tenor? lol
02-12-2016 01:08 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

(02-12-2016 12:52 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  In my opinion, vocals are the only reason country is popular, because it doesn't off much musically. I can really appreciate great singers, Adelle as an example, but country in general has never done much for me. I'm mediocre on the drums with no structured lessons, and I could play 80% of the country songs I hear on the radio.

I agree on that if we keep it to strictly country. There were and are some great musicians playing bluegrass and Western Swing.

But, overall, I don't listen to much country. When I was thinking of vocals earlier, I was thinking of folks like Susan Tedeschi, Sharon Jones, Warren Haynes, Ben Harper...
02-12-2016 01:10 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(02-12-2016 01:08 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  So, any of you guys a classically trained tenor? lol

I'm a tenor (well, I was... not sure anymore). Not classically trained, but I did medal in the Indiana State Solo Competition all 4 years of high school.

I could sing Let's Get Drunk and Screw if you think that would get the water works going for your reception.
02-12-2016 01:15 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(02-12-2016 12:55 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  what equipment do you guys use for listening to music? Prefer certain cans/buds? Surround sound? Shove in the trunk?
I recently dove into the bottomless pit of home audio upgrades. A set of high fidelity bookshelf speakers and a reference subwoofer is hard to beat. Quality headphones (no, not Beats) can make a huge difference too. It's amazing how the right equipment can change the way music sounds. But the more I have, the more I realize what I don't have. It's almost like ignorance is preferred, because once I realized what I was missing, it's hard to go back to music on a couple of tiny Polk Satellite speakers.
02-12-2016 01:22 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(02-12-2016 01:08 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  Re: vocals

Thinking about the times when I've been "moved" or affected the most by music, the list would be dominated by elite vocalists, half of whom were only accompanied by one instrument or none at all. The one request I told my ladyfriend I want at our wedding ceremony is a tenor who can bust something out sans accompaniment. No clue what he will sing yet but it's gonna make people cry, god dammit. She thinks it's a little odd.

When I think of vocals that moved me, "The Great Gig in the Sky" by Pink Floyd immediately comes to mind. She says absolutely nothing, but the emotion is incredible. Floyd is completely timeless. Time, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, The Machine, etc. Those songs on the right speakers will make anyone forget about their problems and just soak it in. The guitar solo at the end of Comfortably Numb is the single most moving piece of music I've ever heard. It very tough to find music today with that kind of passion that goes into it.
02-12-2016 01:28 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(02-12-2016 01:28 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  
(02-12-2016 01:08 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  Re: vocals

When I think of vocals that moved me, "The Great Gig in the Sky" by Pink Floyd immediately comes to mind. She says absolutely nothing, but the emotion is incredible. Floyd is completely timeless. Time, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, The Machine, etc. Those songs on the right speakers will make anyone forget about their problems and just soak it in. The guitar solo at the end of Comfortably Numb is the single most moving piece of music I've ever heard. It very tough to find music today with that kind of passion that goes into it.

Quite possibly the greatest solo that David Gilmore has ever written. Think the recorded version is great? You should listen/watch the live version. The album is called Pulse live. I have the DVD concert somewhere with the CD set if you want to borrow it sometime.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 01:35 PM by CardsAllDay13.)
02-12-2016 01:34 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

I would pay A LOT of money if pink Floyd were to ever do a reunion tour with both David Gilmore and Roger Waters together again. It's a shame that will probably never happen.
02-12-2016 01:36 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

Here is just this song via youtube clip. I'll see if I can dig up the cd/dvd. somewhere. Btw this is by far my favorite live concert dvd.
02-12-2016 01:42 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

If there was ever a way to blend classical music with heavy metal, this guy was the one to do it. David Maxim Micic - Bilo 3.0 Album. If you have 15 minutes to burn, I'd highly recommend giving him a listen on YouTube.
02-12-2016 01:42 PM