Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
IF this were a keeper league, who would be your top 5 players?
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

IF this were a keeper league, who would be your top 5 players?
Title says it all. If we started a keeper league, who would you be taking?

Also, why isn't this a thing yet?
10-14-2015 08:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

RE: IF this were a keeper league, who would be your top 5 players?
XRM is the unquestioned top pick, right?
10-14-2015 08:16 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

I don't know how this works
10-14-2015 08:17 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

You get to keep two players for the duration of their career in the ACC. I'd go as crazy as saying any commit is even eligible for draft/waiver if we were getting way out there. But the player pool is the same outside of having the option to pick a couple players each year who will remain with your program for their college career. So over the course of a 3-year cycle, you could potentially go into the 4th season's draft with 6 players already on your roster.

This is so intriguing for me because it allows owners to BUILD their programs just like the ACC coaches do it. If you don't think you have the talent to win now, maybe you load up on promising freshman, sacrifice a season, and see what falls out for the next year. Could also change some of these late-season trade dynamics... does Brewin' give you Blossomgame last year for Bibbs and Jefferson?
10-14-2015 08:39 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Oh that's really interesting. I really like the way that we are set up now but j wouldn't fight you all if we changed it to that. That would be a really interesting thing I think. So you can keep two from your team but you don't have to keep any. Now if I keep two, I'll still start drafting the same place as everyone else and just finish earlier, right?
10-14-2015 08:59 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Well, most keeper leagues require you to forfeit the draft pick in the following season that you took your keeper player(s) in the prior draft.

Ex. You took Marcus Georges-Hunt with your 3rd round pick and picked up Gbinije off waivers last year. If you wanted to retain both guys for this season, you'd lose a 3rd round pick and your final pick (since Gbinije was a waiver pick-up and undrafted).

I've said this before and will repeat it here. From a fantasy perspective, my favorite player ever in the history of CEBE was Dominique Jones from South Florida. I was VERY fortunate to get him in Season 2 after Buzz and one other owner passed on him. It would have been oddly devastating to me if I hadn't enjoyed his services in each of the first two years of the league. Other top Empire alums were fortunately short-lived (thinking of Marshon Brooks, Wesley Johnson). I'm surprised others haven't thought the same about some of their great underclassman picks.
10-14-2015 09:14 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

I would have kept Gbinije and probably Blossomgame from last year. But it would have been tough to pick. I would have held over 5/6 of my players given the option. With my first pick this year I still would have taken CMM.

G Codi Miller-McIntyre
G Malcolm Brogdon
F Michael Gbinije
F Jaron Blossomgame
C Devin Thomas
U Marcus Georges-Hunt
10-14-2015 09:16 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

What about my pick of Blossomgame? Got him in a trade.
10-14-2015 09:19 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Yeah, but in all likelihood CMM would have been retained by that team's owner.

Now the one challenge you'd run into with a keeper league... you'd have to avoid changing the divisions each season. If both the Shooters and I had ended up in the same division this year, there would be the possibility that both of us would take CMM and either create 3 versions of him in the CEBE or force the other division to go without him as a PG option.
10-14-2015 09:21 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(10-14-2015 09:19 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  What about my pick of Blossomgame? Got him in a trade.

Haven't fleshed out all the scenarios, but I suppose he could be counted in the draft position that the original owner took him. But again, does the Blossomgame trade even go through if Brewin' has the option to keep him this season for a 7th round pick (or whatever he used to pick him)?
10-14-2015 09:22 PM
captainblackbeard13 Offline
Coach of the Marauders

It's really difficult for keepers in college basketball bc of all of the players leaving early. Some leagues require you to keep 2 players some don't. From my team last year, my entire starting lineup left (3 went pro early and 2 graduated) except 1 and I drafted him again. Having keepers would certainly make things more difficult and interesting. It's tough with college players bc so many of the good ones leave early. In this year's player pool I would have to say Grayson Allen or Luke Kennard would be great keepers. XRM would probably not be bc he most likely will go pro after this year.
10-14-2015 09:33 PM
captainblackbeard13 Offline
Coach of the Marauders

(10-14-2015 09:22 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  
(10-14-2015 09:19 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  What about my pick of Blossomgame? Got him in a trade.

Haven't fleshed out all the scenarios, but I suppose he could be counted in the draft position that the original owner took him. But again, does the Blossomgame trade even go through if Brewin' has the option to keep him this season for a 7th round pick (or whatever he used to pick him)?

That's how most leagues do it, whatever position the player was drafted in regardless of whose team he ends on.
10-14-2015 09:34 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

It would be cool if you could keep up to 2 players but you would have to forfeit your first 2 picks in the draft in order to keep them. You'd have to decide whether to keep them prior to the draft lottery. Would be impossible with 2 divisions though
10-14-2015 09:56 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(10-14-2015 09:56 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  It would be cool if you could keep up to 2 players but you would have to forfeit your first 2 picks in the draft in order to keep them. You'd have to decide whether to keep them prior to the draft lottery. Would be impossible with 2 divisions though

I think this would be bad because I'm not deciding whether I keep My two until I see who's available in the draft. Same for you, EL and whoever else. I think that it would be a stalemate to see who declared.
10-15-2015 12:45 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(10-15-2015 12:45 AM)DieHardCards Wrote:  
(10-14-2015 09:56 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  It would be cool if you could keep up to 2 players but you would have to forfeit your first 2 picks in the draft in order to keep them. You'd have to decide whether to keep them prior to the draft lottery. Would be impossible with 2 divisions though

I think this would be bad because I'm not deciding whether I keep My two until I see who's available in the draft. Same for you, EL and whoever else. I think that it would be a stalemate to see who declared.
Not true for me. In 2013, I had 5 of my players the previous year taken with the first 14 picks. I would have given up my Round 1 and Round 2 picks to keep both of them. The point is, there has to be some drawbacks for stashing players. If you don't have 2 guys that are damn good, you're likely not going to risk giving up your first two picks to keep them. Maybe someone just wanted to make sure they kept Marcus Paige on their roster this season. They have to forfiet their first round pick, but they effectively keep the #1 player in the conference without having that #1 draft slot.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2015 07:25 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
10-15-2015 07:25 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Exactly. And after a few years, you better be good at tracking the underclassmen and freshmen because those are the guys you'll be drafting. Most of the first 4 round players should be keepers after a couple of seasons.
10-15-2015 08:06 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(10-15-2015 08:06 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  Exactly. And after a few years, you better be good at tracking the underclassmen and freshmen because those are the guys you'll be drafting. Most of the first 4 round players should be keepers after a couple of seasons.
I won't be drafting freshmen in hopes that they'll be worth giving up my 1st/2nd round picks the following year. If I had Blossomgame or Michael Young - those are the guys worth giving up my picks for next year. The thing is, I didn't draft this season with the intention of being able to keep any of my players for next year. So if we ever go to any type of optional keeper league, it would have to start prior to that seasons draft.
10-15-2015 09:28 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Yeah, totally agree. You can't announce mid-year that your starting a keeper league. Folks need to know that when deciding between a senior star and a sophomore star at the outset.
10-15-2015 09:34 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Something else that just popped into my head. It would be impossible for me to know if I should hold or drop players unless I knew what everyone else in the league was going to do. Only way I'm holding onto Blossomgame and Young as an example, is if Paige, Gbinije, Jekiri, etc are off the board because they're being held by their current owners.

On second thought, keep everything exactly how it is [expect the trade rule Wink]
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2015 09:59 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
10-15-2015 09:58 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

But that is the beautiful wrinkle to keeper. You may not know who is actually going to be kept vs. who is going to be released. What if someone had Paige, Jekiri, and Gbinije a year ago? You know one of them is going to be available? Are you willing to risk losing BOTH Young AND one of those guys by gambling on A) getting an early draft pick and B) enough of the other owners not being eligible to draft in Round 1 and/or 2?

So many more interesting scenarios when you toss this into the fold.
10-15-2015 10:05 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Late season trades would cause riots
10-15-2015 12:26 PM
jdryan03 Offline
Coach of the Premature Shooters

Jekiri and Gbinijie would have been the best keepers from last year, both being picked up on waivers. Also XRM being picked up 7th
10-15-2015 06:57 PM