Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which picks were a coin flip for you?
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

Which picks were a coin flip for you?
My 2nd round choice was between Marcus Georges-Hunt and Jamel Artis. I went with MGH because of Artis moving to SF where he struggled last season.

My 3rd round choice was between Eli Carter and Angel Rodriguez. I didn't like how A.Rod played to end the year, but the true tiebreaker was when a coworker right next to me randomly brough up Rutgers. It was a sign.

Those were the only 2 that I was really torn on, so I'll be keeping an eye on Artis and Rodriguez.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 03:51 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
10-14-2015 03:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

RE: Which picks were a coin flip for you?
I had a lot of coin flips. Just about every round.

1. CMM or Gbinije? Tough one. May regret it.
2. Artis or Devin Thomas? If I had went with Gbinije, I would have taken Thomas. Didn't want 2 WF players missing title game.
3. Jekiri or Meeks? Reading lots of good things about meeks and his development and conditioning and he's versatile.
4. Brandon is who I wanted unapologetically.
5. Vasturia is a pick that I knew I was taking 5th before I picked Brandon. Him VS Lewis was tough though. Never know with CRP.
6. Bibbs or Adam Smith? That's what it really came down to. I think Bibbs playing so many freshman minutes won it for me.
7. Chris Jones or Davon Reed? What if Angel is back on his grizzy? Jones was versatile.
8. Mangok or Reed? What if Angel is back on his grizzy? Mangok had a killer summer. Plus he took my phone while I was in the stands and took a selfie of us at the football game a couple weeks ago. That's worth something. lol.
9. Jackson or Onuaku? This was a gamble. I wanted Jackson. Also wanted to hedge my mangok bet with onuaku. Not an impressive start to the year but I think has a super high ceiling. This one I spent maybe the most time on. Hothot and EL both had 3 center eligibles and I thought Onuaku would make it back to me. This could be a big deal. I might appreciate Jackson if Bibbs or Vasturia aren't what I think they'll be and he turns out like he's expected by some. I might hurt from this if Mangok brings the same stats as last year and Onuaku is getting 10/8/1/3 and Jackson is so-so.
10. Hicks or Cornelius Hudson? Read some good things about hicks that swayed me.
10-14-2015 04:36 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Picking between Jekiri and Michael Young with my 2nd rounder. Young's performance down the stretch and (maybe more importantly) his flexibility as a F/C won the day. I wanted to be able to fill in my other front line spot(s) with the best remaining player in round 3/4 and didn't want any risk of the center-only players being all that was left if I took Jekiri.

Choosing between Montay Brandon and Tyler Roberson with my 4th round pick. Chose Roberson because of his performance in the final 3 weeks of the season and Brandon's potential crowded spot in the FSU wing.

Jackson vs. Devin Wilson in the 9th... I think Jackson may be an impact scorer, but I'm hoping that Gbinije and Young have that mostly covered with the expanded games of Roberson and Meeks filling in. To that end, I wanted to be doubly covered in the assists department in case Thornton and/or Holmes don't pan out.
10-14-2015 04:37 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

I'll need to think about it and reminisce, meditate even, about my selections. In the meantime I'll be contemplating what a grizzy is.

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 04:55 PM by HarveyGlass.)
10-14-2015 04:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

I'll also have to contemplate harder to recall coin flips. I probably mentioned it in the draft comment section actually.

The biggest miss for me was Jekiri going one spot before me in the 3rd round. In retrospect, it threw off my primary draft strategy and due to lack of preparation, I kinda just winged it the rest of the draft. I had Jekiri, Blossomgame, and Devin Thomas last season and circled Jekiri as the C-eligible I HAD to have and Blossomgame as a late 2nd round early 3rd round target.

Thinking back, this was kind of a coin flip for me strategy-wise when I drafted a second consecutive Guard with the #2 pick. Had I nabbed Jekiri at #2, my plan was to reach for Eli Carter in the 5th or 6th round, depending on what I thought Lindy would do at that point. And then for G depth, I would throw darts late in the draft at the Hendersons, AJ Turners, Malachi Richardsons, Deng Adels and Caleb Martins of the league and try to stack up on F- and C-eligibles earlier. Somehow that got flipped when I saw Lee there and got blinded by his summer of hype and mistakenly thought Jekiri would last another 13 picks.

Even after I whiffed on Jekiri, I still thought Carter could be a great value pick if I got him in a later round after stocking up on non-Gs. I'd already drafted too many Guards by that point, but as the draft reached the 5th or 6th round, it felt like Carter would slip further because everyone would try to stock up on F- and C-eligibles at that point. So, I went with Terry Henderson, who I thought had a higher chance of getting drafted than Eli Carter before my 7th round pick and immediately regretted that decision when Critch got Carter 3 picks later.

Just checked the draft comments thread and yup, I nearly went with Jekiri with my #2 pick:

(09-30-2015 12:43 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  so now I have to decide between drafting the same position with my first two picks or reaching a few picks too soon at a thinner position.
10-14-2015 05:31 PM
nicklindy Offline
Coach of the Wheats

(10-14-2015 04:37 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Picking between Jekiri and Michael You

I would have to agree with my brother...oh wait, I didn't have to pick between. Like I told J last week, I got all but one pick I was targeting.
10-14-2015 05:49 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

lol

10-14-2015 05:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tarheels15 Offline
The next Mike Rice (Coach of Kitty Cats)

Sheldon McClellan vs Jekiri was my biggest. Sorta wish I went with Jekiri
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 05:56 PM by tarheels15.)
10-14-2015 05:55 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(10-14-2015 04:55 PM)HarveyGlass Wrote:  I'll need to think about it and reminisce, meditate even, about my selections. In the meantime I'll be contemplating what a grizzy is.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Grizzy
10-14-2015 07:00 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

There are wayyyy too few votes for that to be acceptable on The CEBE.

10-14-2015 07:04 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline
Coach of Anyone But Kentucky

i debated on whether to take jeter with a higher round pick instead of the mitglou or later rounds. in the end went with a more known (statistically speaking) than the unkown with Duke's possible options at the 5. could have taken him later, but had to go with more team needs.
10-14-2015 08:35 PM
tarheels15 Offline

I don't know why people are so down on Mitglou. I think he is going to be very good this year.
10-14-2015 08:48 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

i dont think they are necesarliy down on him. i was just trying to decide whether to take him or take a big chance on a freshman in an early round. thats all i was saying
10-14-2015 08:54 PM
tarheels15 Offline

(10-14-2015 08:54 PM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  i dont think they are necesarliy down on him. i was just trying to decide whether to take him or take a big chance on a freshman in an early round. thats all i was saying
Oh no, wasn't mean towards you, sorry that it came off that way. Saw in a previous thread 2 other posters mention they weren't a fan of him.
10-14-2015 08:55 PM
needabuzz Offline
Enormous Member

All of them
10-14-2015 08:57 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

What do you call very good? I think he will be serviceable but in the bottom half of Center eligibles.
10-14-2015 09:04 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

I'm a fan of his skillset, but not of the stats he's going to put up at his position. He's a Euro big who wants to hang out on the perimeter more than he wants to bang for rebounds or be a rim protector. That and his status as no better than the #3 for his team just isn't worth the spot where both leagues took him. If someone plays him at center, it's effectively forfeiting the rebounding category. Even if you put him at one of your forward spots, you're starting yourself behind most other owners in at least one category where your bigs should be making the largest contributions.

In short, if you are playing Mitiglou you better have very good rebounding guards.
10-14-2015 09:05 PM
captainblackbeard13 Offline
Coach of the Marauders

My biggest coin flip was whether to XRM with my 1st pick or Ingram. I ultimately went with XRM bc with the experience in the Atlantic I figured the coaches would not take the risk of taking a freshman that early.
10-14-2015 09:41 PM
tarheels15 Offline

(10-14-2015 09:05 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  I'm a fan of his skillset, but not of the stats he's going to put up at his position. He's a Euro big who wants to hang out on the perimeter more than he wants to bang for rebounds or be a rim protector. That and his status as no better than the #3 for his team just isn't worth the spot where both leagues took him. If someone plays him at center, it's effectively forfeiting the rebounding category. Even if you put him at one of your forward spots, you're starting yourself behind most other owners in at least one category where your bigs should be making the largest contributions.

In short, if you are playing Mitiglou you better have very good rebounding guards.
Yeah true, hoping DaJuan Coleman turns into Rakeem Christmas V2 so I'm not playing him at center the whole year
10-14-2015 09:53 PM
tarheels15 Offline

Can't wait until the preseason waiver. Some on BC aren't sure if Idy Diallo is still on the team..
10-14-2015 09:59 PM
captainblackbeard13 Offline
Coach of the Marauders

(10-14-2015 09:59 PM)tarheels15 Wrote:  Can't wait until the preseason waiver. Some on BC aren't sure if Idy Diallo is still on the team..

Yeah I'm looking forward to it as well. I seriously was about to take diallo. The problem with BC is that there is absolutely no info coming from there fans or their media. That's the same with some of the other lower tier teams also.
10-14-2015 10:04 PM
jdryan03 Offline
Coach of the Premature Shooters

Tonye Jekiri or Devin Thomas
Angel Rodrigues/James Robinson or Trey Lewis
Avry Holmes or Terry Henderson
Chinanu Onuaku or Rafael Maia
Justin Bibbs/Malachi Richardson or Theo Pinson
Jordan Roper or Caleb Martin

Lets see how many of these bite me in the ass!
10-15-2015 06:52 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

This will be another interesting thread to look back on. Looks like JD was in the same boat as I was as far as having it narrowed down to a few guys and taking a coin flip to fill several roster spots.
10-15-2015 06:58 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

I took Chinanu Onuaku over BeeJay Anya ... and I can't remember why I did that. Maybe I'm buying into the draft boards too much, but seeing Anya at ACC media day makes me think he's going to get a lot of minutes for NC State. Pitino has had nothing positive to say about Onuaku, but maybe that's a good thing?
10-29-2015 10:08 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

SOMEONE has to be the big man for both of those teams if they want to outperform their middle-of-the-pack ACC ranking. I don't believe in either one enough to take them, but the fortune will favor the person who was bold enough to take that risk and wind up right. Anya's situation seems to have improved the most with teammate transfers and a lack of newcomers for the Wolfpack on the front line. It's basically Anya and Lennard Freeman fighting for minutes and whatever rest that Abu needs at the 4 spot (unless Gottfried goes smallish with the Martin twins or Maverick Rowan at the 4/5).

For Louisville, there is a major traffic jam with Mangok, Onuaku, Mahmoud, Johnson, Adel, and even Stockman. Even Spalding is part of the equation in some form if his upside is what people are saying. Onuaku is going to have to be REALLY solid/good if he's going to keep all the competitors on the bench. I could be surprised, but I don't see any of our bigs getting more than 25 minutes a night (MAYBE Adel, but I think we're going to see the usual "freshman in the Pitino system" problems at some point).
10-29-2015 10:26 AM
tarheels15 Offline

Hindsight is 50-50 but with the guards I have, I really should have taken Jekiri instead of McClellan
10-29-2015 10:36 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(10-14-2015 04:36 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  I had a lot of coin flips. Just about every round.

1. CMM or Gbinije? Tough one. May regret it.
-Regret it obviously. Gbinije has been good and who knows if CMM will ever be right.
2. Artis or Devin Thomas? If I had went with Gbinije, I would have taken Thomas. Didn't want 2 WF players missing title game.
-Kind of regret. The only reason I took Artis won't change but he's been a disappointment.
3. Jekiri or Meeks? Reading lots of good things about meeks and his development and conditioning and he's versatile.
-Regret it. Meeks is flat out playing better in just about every facet.
4. Brandon is who I wanted unapologetically.
-Disappointing. I wanted him and there are a ton of better players taken later.
5. Vasturia is a pick that I knew I was taking 5th before I picked Brandon. Him VS Lewis was tough though. Never know with CRP.
-Jury is still out. Very similar stats. Rather have a Card. I think Vasturia could end up better down the road.
6. Bibbs or Adam Smith? That's what it really came down to. I think Bibbs playing so many freshman minutes won it for me.
-Wrong again. Smith is playing better at this juncture.
7. Chris Jones or Davon Reed? What if Angel is back on his grizzy? Jones was versatile.
-Dumb. Should have taken Reed. I had contemplated him for tw rounds at this point and still passed.
8. Mangok or Reed? What if Angel is back on his grizzy? Mangok had a killer summer. Plus he took my phone while I was in the stands and took a selfie of us at the football game a couple weeks ago. That's worth something. lol.
-Passed again. Idiot. I'm fine with Mangok (a little disappointed, but still convinced he gets better numbers as the season goes on) but should have taken Reed before this.
9. Jackson or Onuaku? This was a gamble. I wanted Jackson. Also wanted to hedge my mangok bet with onuaku. Not an impressive start to the year but I think has a super high ceiling. This one I spent maybe the most time on. Hothot and EL both had 3 center eligibles and I thought Onuaku would make it back to me. This could be a big deal. I might appreciate Jackson if Bibbs or Vasturia aren't what I think they'll be and he turns out like he's expected by some. I might hurt from this if Mangok brings the same stats as last year and Onuaku is getting 10/8/1/3 and Jackson is so-so.
-Definitely should have taken Onuaku. Jackson lasted 1 week as a Dominator.
10. Hicks or Cornelius Hudson? Read some good things about hicks that swayed me.
-Got one right on my 10th pick. Hicks still isn't an impact player.

I did an awful job. Just awful.
11-22-2015 09:14 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(10-14-2015 04:37 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Picking between Jekiri and Michael Young with my 2nd rounder. Young's performance down the stretch and (maybe more importantly) his flexibility as a F/C won the day. I wanted to be able to fill in my other front line spot(s) with the best remaining player in round 3/4 and didn't want any risk of the center-only players being all that was left if I took Jekiri.

Choosing between Montay Brandon and Tyler Roberson with my 4th round pick. Chose Roberson because of his performance in the final 3 weeks of the season and Brandon's potential crowded spot in the FSU wing.

Jackson vs. Devin Wilson in the 9th... I think Jackson may be an impact scorer, but I'm hoping that Gbinije and Young have that mostly covered with the expanded games of Roberson and Meeks filling in. To that end, I wanted to be doubly covered in the assists department in case Thornton and/or Holmes don't pan out.

So far, so good.
11-22-2015 09:22 PM
tarheels15 Offline

Going so guard orientated screwed me. Lesson learned in my second year that good bigs are a lot harder to find in the league than quality guards.
11-22-2015 09:26 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Bump time. In terms of my true coin flips, still happy with the way things are panning out there. To add to it, though (hindsight 20/20):

* Maybe Cat Barber before Gbinije... not an obvious miss there, but Barber is doing basically what I thought Gbinije would for Cuse.
* Derryck Thornton in the 5th over just about anyone. What a disaster pick and thank GOD the guard pool was deep this year.
* Roberson over Charles Mitchell; what in the actual fuck was I thinking with that one?
12-08-2015 12:07 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

(10-14-2015 03:50 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  My 2nd round choice was between Marcus Georges-Hunt and Jamel Artis. I went with MGH because of Artis moving to SF where he struggled last season.

My 3rd round choice was between Eli Carter and Angel Rodriguez. I didn't like how A.Rod played to end the year, but the true tiebreaker was when a coworker right next to me randomly brough up Rutgers. It was a sign.

Those were the only 2 that I was really torn on, so I'll be keeping an eye on Artis and Rodriguez.

Re-reading this....reading who you were talking about regarding Rutgers.
12-08-2015 12:10 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

I remember trying to decide whether to use my 4th pick on angel Rodriguez or another big. So far angel has ben in preseason form and I don't recall seeing a great big to take. Ended up with the Greek in round 5
12-08-2015 12:24 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(12-08-2015 12:10 PM)CardsAllDay13 Wrote:  
(10-14-2015 03:50 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  My 2nd round choice was between Marcus Georges-Hunt and Jamel Artis. I went with MGH because of Artis moving to SF where he struggled last season.

Re-reading this....reading who you were talking about regarding Rutgers.
Fehn. He's always bagging on Rutgers and their athletic department. If it weren't for the shedules in the tourney, I would have went with Blossomgame then Roberson in the 3rd round. I actually voted Blossomgame as 1st CEBE despite passing on him in the 3rd round. Stupid for me to draft based on tourney schedule. Then again, if Carter gets anywhere near his career free throw average of 80%, he'll be well worth that 3rd round pick.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 01:01 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
12-08-2015 01:01 PM
CardsAllDay13 Offline

Well that would have messed me up if you had gone the other way.
12-08-2015 01:03 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Bumpity bump. Still astonishing how far the wheels came off of my team. I'd probably trade every pick in now if I could.

Round 1 - Barber over Gbinije
Round 2 - Brice Johnson over Michael Young
Round 3 - a folding chair over Kennedy Meeks
Round 4 - Charles Mitchell over Roberson (even with Mitchell struggling through most of ACC play)
Round 5 - a sack of magic beans over Derryck Thornton
Round 6 - Actually, I'd probably stick with Perrantes
Round 7-10 - Don't matter, waived them all
02-11-2016 03:00 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(02-11-2016 03:00 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Bumpity bump. Still astonishing how far the wheels came off of my team. I'd probably trade every pick in now if I could.

Round 1 - Barber over Gbinije
Round 2 - Brice Johnson over Michael Young
Round 3 - a folding chair over Kennedy Meeks
Round 4 - Charles Mitchell over Roberson (even with Mitchell struggling through most of ACC play)
Round 5 - a sack of magic beans over Derryck Thornton
Round 6 - Actually, I'd probably stick with Perrantes
Round 7-10 - Don't matter, waived them all
Was anyone seriously considering taking Cat Barber over G/F Mike Gbinije at the start of the draft? I would have considered that a horrible decision.

Looking back on it, I think I played the first 5 rounds pretty well (Gbinije, Georges-Hunt, Carter, Gill, Colson). Thornton in the 6th round seemed like a STEAL at the time, but just goes to show even K can't always get the most out of top 20 players. I think the biggest mistake I've made this season was dropping Jordan Roper instead of Derryck Thornton. Roper has been a top 20 player since the start of conference play.
02-11-2016 04:29 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

I liked Barber's potential as NC State's only established option, but obviously shied away from picking him when the time came. I'm definitely not SURPRISED he busted out like this... just wasn't willing to fantasy wager on that break-out. More reasons why I shouldn't gamble.
02-11-2016 04:56 PM
needabuzz Offline
Enormous Member

Chase Jeter ruined me. Stupid pick. Last year I remember thinking that I need to get a big man early. I didn't think he would be like Okafor last year but pretty good based on what I read. Oh well. Good luck to the top 8.
02-11-2016 07:01 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(02-11-2016 04:56 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  I liked Barber's potential as NC State's only established option, but obviously shied away from picking him when the time came. I'm definitely not SURPRISED he busted out like this... just wasn't willing to fantasy wager on that break-out. More reasons why I shouldn't gamble.

I think I told Buzz during the draft how much I liked his Cat pick. Had him mid-to-late 2nd round on my board behind Brogdon and Lee. Didn't think he'd get this many assists with more of the scoring load on his shoulders, plus Terry Henderson in the mix. I even drafted Hendo to hedge on NCSU assists and he promptly injured himself.

In a different draft order or if using a different strategy, I would've tried to get him late 2nd or early 3rd round relative to options left.
02-11-2016 11:33 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(09-30-2015 10:11 AM)tarheels15 Wrote:  Barber is a high risk pick Imo but I Could definitely see him blowing up this year, and I think the upside is great on him.

(09-30-2015 10:15 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  Yeah, I would have considered him strongly on my next pick... feels a touch early at 11.

(09-30-2015 10:24 AM)needabuzz Wrote:  
(09-30-2015 10:15 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  Yeah, I would have considered him strongly on my next pick... feels a touch early at 11.

See every single one of my picks.

Man I analyze these players and hope that when I pick them I don't hear that was too early or a bad pick from you guys.

I feel my first pick was good but I planned on Brogdon. My dumbass thought he was a senior last year. Oh well. Hopefully I luck into another title.

(09-30-2015 10:30 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  Not knocking the pick... just a touch early for me with some other options on the board. He certainly has an opportunity to put up #1 PG numbers... he and Demetrius Jackson are the most dynamic scorers among PG's and - if they can balance that scoring versus distribution load - could easily be Top 10 players.

(09-30-2015 10:41 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  I like the pick buzz. Most would say Cat has a lower floor than some of the options still available but this is the kind of pick that you've thrived on before. Prob would've been available on your next turn but I wouldn't mind having him on my team.

(09-30-2015 10:55 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  
(09-30-2015 10:41 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  Prob would've been available on your next turn

This is the key for me. He can and probably will be a very good starter. But you probably could have had him AND one of the other studs who will definitely be gone by the time pick 22 comes around.

(09-30-2015 01:53 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  
(09-30-2015 08:34 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  Solid picks by hothot and DHC. Lee is absolutely going to score... question is whether he supplies anything else to his box score. Artis was among my possible selections on the turn, but I opted for my guys due to the upside and lineup flexibility they give me. While I only have two players, I've already covered every possible spot in my starting 6.

I really love the Gbinije and Young base. Hell of a start. Their versatility is just an added bonus really. And a good one. I was hoping I could snag at least one of them.

JHMoss actually gave me his number. Just sent him a text and let him know his pick was up, so I'm sure he'll be here whenever he's available.

Barber and Auguste are both decent picks and will be good starters but as it has been said, they would have both been there at your next turn IMO.

Also buzz, you said you thought Brogdon graduated? This is an internet fantasy hoops league. You are free to use the internet for research purposes for your picks. It's really astonishing how well you do and I don't mean that as a back handed compliment. You'd probably have 4-5 titles if you used the internet as well as me, Chris, J or whoever. Do you literally just think of names off of the top of your head? lol. I have to know how this works for you.
02-11-2016 11:35 PM