Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2015 All ACC Team
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

2015 All ACC Team
I was looking at the All ACC team from last year and wondering what they were smoking for a couple of those selections. For starters, who votes, and based on what criteria? Is it for the entire season or conference games only? How much does team success factor in? Is it based on your averages or totals (are you penalized for missing games)? On and on. So here's the list...

First Team All-ACC (1st team votes) (total points)
Jahlil Okafor, Fr., Duke (64) 320
Jerian Grant, Sr., Notre Dame (64) 320
Rakeem Christmas, Gr. Syracuse (51) 294
Malcolm Brogdon, Jr., Virginia (53) 293
Olivier Hanlan, Jr., Boston College (29) 246

Second Team All-ACC
Montrezl Harrell, Jr., Louisville (21) 220
Quinn Cook, Sr., Duke (23) 219
Terry Rozier, So., Louisville (2) 154
Trevor Lacey, Jr., NC State (2) 123
Justin Anderson, Jr., Virginia (5) 106

Third Team All-ACC
Marcus Paige, Jr., North Carolina (4) 97
Tyus Jones, Fr., Duke (2) 89
Pat Connaughton, Sr., Notre Dame 45
Anthony Gill, Jr., Virginia 42
Brice Johnson, Jr., North Carolina 40

Honorable Mention
Jamel Artis, So., Pittsburgh 33
Tonye Jekiri, Jr., Miami 32
London Perrantes, So., Virginia 31
Sheldon McClellan, Jr., Miami 31
Justise Winslow, Fr., Duke 29
Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Fr., Florida State 24
Michael Young, So., Pittsburgh 14
Angel Rodriguez, Jr., Miami 13
Codi Miller-McIntyre, Jr., Wake Forest 12
Kennedy Meeks, So.,North Carolina 10

Looks like there's 64 voters. 5 points for 1st team, 3 points for 2nd team, 2 points for 3rd team.

Reasons why that committe should be embarrassed:
1) Michael Gbinije didn't even earn 10 points last year to be worthy of an honorable mention. He played in every ACC game and was 13th in points, 22nd in rebounds, 9th in assists, 1st in steals

2) Justin Anderson was 2nd team - with 5 1st team votes. Anderson only played 10 games in the ACC, and averaged 11/4/2 hitting 37% from the floor. Media was swinging from his nuts last year.

3) Montrezl Harrell was on the 2nd team. Either winning games matters (i.e. Brogdon, Anderson) or it doesn't (Hanlan). If you're telling me Brogdon is up there over Harrell because he won more games, then remove Hanlan and add Harrell. If you're telling me numbers are more important, then remove Brogdon and add Harrell. Either way, Harrell should have been 1st team.

4) Angel Rodriguez isn't even worthy of an honorable mention during ACC play. Dude shot 30% from the floor and single handedly took his team out of some games.

5) Anthony Gill led UVA in pretty much every statistical measure of effectiveness, yet is sitting on the 3rd team while his perimeter oriented teammates are sitting above him.

Anyway, just a preseason rant and discussion starter. Only 1 guy returning from last year's 1st and 2nd team, but I don't fully understand the love affair. He's a GREAT player, but the numbers and eye test don't add up for me.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 03:59 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
10-14-2015 03:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

RE: 2015 All ACC Team
ACC is some good-old-boy shit. I hate that their go-to football announcers sound like they're from Turtle Holler, KY. I think the Cards are going to fight this type of stuff for quite a while unless we just starting winning big every year, in whichever sport.

Living in NC for almost a decade impressed me with how much the state(and culture) reminds me of KY, and Lexington in particular. UNC fans and UK fans are nearly identical. UNC fans are a teensy bit more cultured though, what with the love of NASCAR and all.

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
10-14-2015 04:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

All-ACC definitely reflects some of the "networking" and mutual nut scratching among teams and/or their beat writers. There's almost certainly an element of being lazy ("I've heard a lot about Justin Anderson all year, so he must be pretty good.").
10-14-2015 04:48 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

I bet it's at least 80% laziness. Like everything else, a small % of voters put nuanced effort into it. The rest subscribe to groupthink and name brand/recognition.
10-14-2015 04:59 PM