Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where will they come from?
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Where will they come from?
I think this will be something interesting to look back on. There are always a few (or several) picks coming in the last three rounds or undrafted that become stars...or at least viable fantasy starters. For example, let's look at last year. In the Coastal, Demetrius Jackson, XRM, and Blossomgame came from the last three rounds and Gbinije went undrafted. XRM, Blossomgame, and Gbinije came from the last three rounds and Jackson went in the 6th round in the Atlantic. Three of those are on this years first team preseason all-conference team and the other is on the second team.

Maybe there aren't going to be 4 players each year than end up coming from the tail end of the draft to play key roles by the end of the year, let alone return the next year as all-conference players. But, I'd be willing to wager that this will be the case with at least a player or two. I'd like to hear whoever thinks will come from the last three rounds and move into a fantasy starting role and possibly emerge into stardom.

My candidates:
Davon Reed, VJ Beachem, Quentin Snider, Shayok, Jorgensen, Sterling Smith, Maia, Onuaku, Mathiang, Tadric Jackson, Matt Jones.

That's a pretty wide net I'm casting so for fun's sake, I'll knock it down to 5.
1. Davon Reed
2. Marial Shayok
3. VJ Beachem
4. Mangok Mathiang
5. Tadric Jackson

Not saying any of these guys will return as all-conference players but I think those 5 have the potential to move into starting roles with their fantasy team or possibly through trade if it isn't a position of need.
10-13-2015 05:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tarheels15 Offline
The next Mike Rice (Coach of Kitty Cats)

RE: Where will they come from?
Think Davon Reed is going to be the breakout star of the year. Makes me really regret picking McClellan.

1)Reed
2)Shayok
3A)VJ Beachem
3B)Bonzie Colson
4)Quentin Snider
5) AJ Turner
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2015 05:07 PM by tarheels15.)
10-13-2015 05:07 PM
FrozenGlacier Offline
Coach of the Rum Pirates

Kamari Murphy
Doral Moore
Malachi Richardson
Beejay Anya
Maia
Wilbekin
10-13-2015 06:11 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(10-13-2015 06:11 PM)FrozenGlacier Wrote:  Kamari Murphy
Doral Moore
Malachi Richardson
Beejay Anya
Maia
Wilbekin

In addition to Maia, who I said as well...I also like your picks of Wilbekin and Murphy. I really like Murphy and considered him several times. Didn't post him because of Waivers.
10-13-2015 06:22 PM
captainblackbeard13 Offline
Coach of the Marauders

Luke Kennard
Malachi Richardson (especially with the recent news coming out of Syracuse)
Maverick Rowan
Justin Bibbs (based on recent news)
Cornelius Hudson
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2015 06:27 PM by captainblackbeard13.)
10-13-2015 06:25 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

You referring to hill's knee? I like Hudson. Not big on dumbo.
10-13-2015 06:39 PM
Coach of the Marauders

(10-13-2015 06:39 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  You referring to hill's knee? I like Hudson. Not big on dumbo.

Yes I am referring to Hill's knee. I really thought he would come back quick and start over Bibbs, still might. Who of the other 3 is dumbo?
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2015 06:46 PM by captainblackbeard13.)
10-13-2015 06:45 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

No way Hill starts over Bibbs regardless, IMO.

Big eared Rowan. Lol
10-13-2015 06:49 PM
FrozenGlacier Offline
Coach of the Rum Pirates

Not sure where to post this....hope this analysis is right

57. DWAYNE BACON, Florida State

Freshman wing who is probably going to put up at least 13 points per game almost by default. We think he's more talented than his new teammate, Xavier Rathan-Mayes. Bacon was considered a top-15 talent in class of 2015, a McDonald's All-American who has a natural stroke and controls the ball with confidence. -- MN

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-c...or-2015-16
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2015 06:54 PM by FrozenGlacier.)
10-13-2015 06:53 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Bacon is certainly good. But he's gonna have to show me he's better than XRM. Maybe before its all said and done but not now. I'm nervous about Brandon because of him but bacon and Brandon don't have the same game from what I've seen. Definitely nervous.
10-13-2015 07:01 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Upon further inspection, that list is garbage IMO.
10-13-2015 07:12 PM
Coach of the Marauders

(10-13-2015 06:53 PM)FrozenGlacier Wrote:  Not sure where to post this....hope this analysis is right

57. DWAYNE BACON, Florida State

Freshman wing who is probably going to put up at least 13 points per game almost by default. We think he's more talented than his new teammate, Xavier Rathan-Mayes. Bacon was considered a top-15 talent in class of 2015, a McDonald's All-American who has a natural stroke and controls the ball with confidence. -- MN

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-c...or-2015-16

I like that list, I got 3 players in the top 53 and look where they rank the one guy I really wanted but a certain someone took him before me.

85. LUKE KENNARD, Duke
10-13-2015 07:29 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Yeah, I saw CBS and insta-discarded the whole thing. That's the same list that had Fat Wayne in the top 30 or some such a year ago.

If Bacon scores 13, Brandon AND Booker take big hits on their stats. XRM is solid for 15 or so and I don't see the Noles putting up more than 65 a night. They just don't play fast enough.
10-13-2015 07:34 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

CEACC All-Conference First Team:
G- Marcus Paige, UNC *Player of the Year*
G- Demetrius Jackson, Notre Dame
F- Michael Gbinije, Syracuse *Not on the list*
F- Jaron Blossomgame, Clemson *Not on the list*
C- Devin Thomas, Wake Forest *Not on the List*

CEACC All-Conference Second Team:
G- Xavier Rathan-Mayes, FSU
G- Codi Miller-McIntyre, Wake Forest *Not on the List*
F- Brandon Ingram, Duke
F- Brice Johnson, UNC
C- Tonye Jekiri, Miami *Not on the list*

For perspective, half of our first and second team all conference team didn't make the top 100 players. But Bacon and every UK and Duke incoming freshman pretty much makes the list. Of course it's not aimed for fantasy hoops but the list is still garbage. Gbinije and CMM? Nahh. Kennard and Bacon? Yes.
10-13-2015 07:52 PM
FrozenGlacier Offline
Coach of the Rum Pirates

As a whole the list sucks. No way Tyler Ulis is better than Brice Johnson. Just found their take on Bacon to be interesting. It's similar to my opinion on him when I was drafting.
10-13-2015 08:20 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(10-13-2015 08:20 PM)FrozenGlacier Wrote:  As a whole the list sucks. No way Tyler Ulis is better than Brice Johnson. Just found their take on Bacon to be interesting. It's similar to my opinion on him when I was drafting.

I agree with you on that. I followed bacon pretty closely while UofL was recruiting him. I know he's gonna be good but I don't know if they're trying to say more talented than the guy that scored 30 in 4 1/2 minutes is pushing it for me. He probably has a higher ceiling because he's essentially a 6'7 (I think?) shooting guard. Pretty good wingspan too if I recall. He actually would have been very good for Pitino's system. He would have excelled in the matchup zone we run.
10-13-2015 08:25 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

In terms of the guys already listed, here is how I break them down personally:

Davon Reed - Perhaps the most TALENTED guy on this list, but not sure where you put him with Rodriguez and McClellan entrenched at the guard spots and taking all the possessions. He's probably getting the lion's share of the SF minutes, but I don't trust ball stoppers like his PG and SG to get him involved. He's a high risk to suffer from Wayne syndrome.
VJ Beachem - Meh... too far down the depth chart for ND to be impactful (Jackson, Auguste, Vasturia, Colson)
Quentin Snider - I WANT him to make an impact and nearly picked him instead of Devin Wilson for that reason. But then I look at Lewis and Lee, look at his performance in Puerto Rico... he could be the odd man out this season.
Mayor Shayok - Intriguing, but where do you put him on the floor? Defense comes first for Bennett and Evan Nolte likely has a leg up in that department. He's not taking minutes away from Brogdon or Perrantes, so he's gotta prove he can be relied upon over the upper-classmen. Also don't think he's high enough on UVa's offensive progression to warrant fantasy-breakout stats.
Travis Jorgensen - Nothing about this kid excites me. Mediocre PG on a mediocre team. Jackson has far more potential than Jorgensen.
Sterling Smith - another intriguing talent who performed at a lesser level of competition. Can he take Chris Jones' minutes if - as assumed - the front line all gets bumped back a roster spot? Robinson is entrenched as the PG, Artis at SF, Young at PF, and Maia at C. Not sure he gets enough PT splitting the last roster spot with Jones.
Maia - While I picked him, this selection was purely in case he turns out to be an epic rebounder and/or defender. I'm expecting next to nothing in terms of offensive production and he's #1 on my "early waiver" list.
Onuaku - Love the early flashes he showed last year. Hate that Pitino is saying nothing about his maturation as an adult. Hate even more that he was behind Jaylen Johnson, Mangok, and even Anas in the scrimmages and much of the PR trip.
Mathiang - if you forced me at gunpoint to take a UofL big, Mangok is my pick. I think we're in for another year of pupu platter in that area of the team, though.
Tadric Jackson - as I told DHC, this is the late-round guy I wanted most. I put him #1 on my breakout list given his situation at GT, the options Brian Gregory has beyond MGH, and his pedigree as a scorer. He's also the guy getting all the offseason fluff pub about getting into MUCH better shape and focusing hard on his sophomore campaign.
Matt Jones - He very well may start for Duke, but his minutes are numbered because of Ingram. Just don't see anywhere for him to make a mark with Allen and Ingram the two guys most likely to play 30+ mpg this season. Haven't heard anything about Jones being a ball-handler, so I don't see him being the fall-back plan at PG if Thornton winds up a disaster. He's one of a couple of "odd men out" for Duke (possibly joining Kennard and 2 of Plumlee/Obi/Jefferson)
Bonzie Colson - This is my #2 breakout candidate and only his likely status as 4th option on the team and being a severely undersized PF tempers expectations. He was efficient in using the possessions he got last year... just don't see him getting enough of an increase in possessions to truly break out.
AJ Turner - Picked him, but a total flyer based on Boston College having NOTHING after Eli Rogers. No idea what to actually expect other than he was a darkhorse ACC Rookie of the Year candidate in a few articles I read.
Luke Kennard - See Jones, Matt.
Malachi Richardson - See Jones, Matt. Actually, Richardson could get some floor time at SF, but only if Joseph is still terrible and Gbinije has to slide to PG. I don't see him taking any meaningful minutes from Cooney or MPG, so Joseph stinking is his only hope. Even then, I'm not sure he's better than the 4th option on the Orange.
Maverick Rowan - No way in hades... WAY too far down the NS State depth chart. I see one of the twins emerging before Rowan.
Justin Bibbs - Maybe, but what does break-out mean for Bibbs? He's now stuck behind Seth Allen. The guy has shown zero interest in anything other than shooting. He would have to reinvent the game I saw a year ago if he wants to be impactful in the VT rotation.
Cornelius Hudson - Potential, but another situation where there are just too many other options. CMM, Thomas, Mitiglou, Wilbekin... he could be a garbage-guy and stuff a few categories with solid but not standout numbers. A poor man's version of that guy from Providence a few years back (Harv, you had him... what was his name?).
Kamari Murphy - Meh. He was meg at OK State and I don't see playing alongside Jekiri making him a sudden board-crasher. I see the same stats at Miami as he had his sophomore season at OSU)
Doral Moore - Another guy to eat into Cornelius Hudson's stats. If I'm picking, I put my odds on Hudson or even Greg McClinton.
Beejay Anya - he is a VERY sneaky, nice defensive option for the teams that drafted him. But everything you read about his physical conditioning screams a guy who won't consistently get it together. If he can't get himself in playing shape (not talking Pitino playing shape here, either... I mean able to run for more than 5 minutes without being winded), how can he expect to surpass all of NC State's other options on that front line and carve out enough PT for himself?
Mitchell Wilbekin - Definitely potential as a shooter and Manning has shown a willingness to yank CMM and put Wilbekin at the PG spot. If Wake decides to punt on this season and focus on the underclassmen down the stretch, I could see him being an impact guy down in our playoffs.
10-13-2015 08:25 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Couple other guys not yet listed but definitely on my radar for a breakout:

Theo Pinson - Someone has to take Tokoto's job/stats and Pinson was VERY highly regarded, maybe even more than Justin Jackson, before breaking his foot last year. I'd be even higher on him if Williams wasn't still holding him out of practice for that foot recovery.

Dennis Clifford - see thoughts above on AJ Turner. Clifford was a solid-ish center last year when BC had a relative cornucopia of options (Hanlan, Brown, Heckmann). He's right there with Jackson and Colson for me. If he had been around on my 8th-round pick, I definitely would have taken him over Maia. Definitely could see a poor man's Rakeem Christmas season out of Clifford.
10-13-2015 08:34 PM
Coach of the Marauders

Boeheim named silent G the starting point guard for the 2015-2016 season which would mean Malachi Richardson or someone else is gonna start at SF.
10-13-2015 08:40 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

Did he say that in the last 2 days? I havent heard that
10-13-2015 08:49 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Like I said, it's Richardson's one hope. I doubt Boeheim is moving on entirely without Joseph, so whatever minutes he gets at PG are minutes Gbinije takes away from Richardson at SF. He's definitely behind Gbinije and Cooney as offensive options and I would even argue/expect that Roberson will be a bigger point of the offensive focus this season (he started to be a big part of their plans in the last 3 weeks of the season). Heck, if Coleman can stay upright he has a larger role than Richardson IMO.
10-13-2015 08:50 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(10-13-2015 08:49 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  Did he say that in the last 2 days? I havent heard that

Yes. It's true.
10-13-2015 08:51 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(10-13-2015 08:49 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  Did he say that in the last 2 days? I havent heard that

One tweet by some dude at CBS Sports. Came just this evening.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/...8857461760
10-13-2015 08:52 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Me & J about right now...

[Image: giphy.gif]

I didn't say we COULD dance, only that we were.
10-13-2015 08:53 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(10-13-2015 08:52 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  

One tweet by some dude at CBS Sports. Came just this evening.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/...8857461760
that was about the scholarship reduction. I'm cool with Gbinije wherever Boeheim puts him. Dude just fills the box score
10-13-2015 09:54 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Poop. I'm not a twitter man. Tried to get the direct link to his tweet. It's on his time line if you look.
10-13-2015 10:04 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Martin twins and Roper come to mind first for me for guys on waivers in at least one conference. Aside from the guys I drafted late like Onuaku, Malachi and Nick Jacobs, I am intrigued by A.J. Turner and BeeJay Anya. I would love Cruz-Uceda if he were on a different roster irl, but he can definitely play. Same for Deng Adel, maybe one year away, but expecting a few big fantasy games sprinkled across the season. Some longshots: Johncarlos Reyes, Jarred Reuter, Shane Henry, Greg McClinton.
10-14-2015 12:38 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(10-13-2015 10:04 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Poop. I'm not a twitter man. Tried to get the direct link to his tweet. It's on his time line if you look.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonRothstein/...3510062081

It's a mobile link but should work.
10-14-2015 12:42 AM
jdryan03 Offline
Coach of the Premature Shooters

(10-13-2015 08:53 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Me & J about right now...

Can anyone tell me why Gbinijie fell to Lindy 8th!?!?!
10-14-2015 10:36 AM
FrozenGlacier Offline
Coach of the Rum Pirates

(10-14-2015 10:36 AM)jdryan03 Wrote:  
(10-13-2015 08:53 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Me & J about right now...

Can anyone tell me why Gbinijie fell to Lindy 8th!?!?!

Cause Justin Jackson, CMM, and Brogan went before him
10-14-2015 12:15 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(10-14-2015 12:15 PM)FrozenGlacier Wrote:  Cause Justin Jackson, CMM, and Brogan went before him
CMM is up there with him. The other 2, not so much.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 03:07 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
10-14-2015 03:07 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

We'll see, won't we? Big Grin

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
10-14-2015 04:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

I thought Chris Jones and Devin Wilson were late steals. Sterling Smith might end up as an exciting pick.

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
10-14-2015 04:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply