(10-06-2015 07:27 PM)FrozenGlacier Wrote:  bite sized ego
i'm pretty sure that's a compliment

Did I need to write "sarcasm"
10-06-2015 07:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

RE: Draft Comment Thread
(10-01-2015 10:42 AM)Deanfor3! Wrote:  An idea for next year, make both draft threads from the previous year available to both divisions. I was Coastal last year and while I am able to look at the draft board from the Atlantic division last year, I can't see the draft I participated in last year. Just a thought, obviously only affects a few people each year. But its another research tool that could be valuable.

Thought the same thing midway through the draft. I second the motion.
10-06-2015 08:53 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(10-04-2015 12:00 PM)FrozenGlacier Wrote:  Might be a little exaggerated, but MikeF, Tarheel, and needabuzz had great to good drafts, the others are all C level quality IMO. Was it lindy that drafted 8th, if so his team looks interesting but could backfire. Still a few rounds to go, but I think I would have loved drafting over there instead of the Atlantic. I think we all have pretty good teams.

This from the guy who drafted Trevor Cooney and is wagering his entire season on a center who no one is sure will even start for his team.

BTW, your bench is complete garbage. You better hope your starters all pan out. Will even one of those guys get 20 minutes a game this season?
10-07-2015 10:28 AM
jhmoss1812 Offline
Coach of the Hebrew Hammer

I noticed on your excel file that Dragons had two picks in the 5th round. I think it should be Nnoko (5) and Reed (6). It doesn't mean much but it might come in handy when picking your preseason teams and the utility player (6th round or higher)
10-07-2015 10:32 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(10-07-2015 10:32 AM)jhmoss1812 Wrote:  I noticed on your excel file that Dragons had two picks in the 5th round. I think it should be Nnoko (5) and Reed (6). It doesn't mean much but it might come in handy when picking your preseason teams and the utility player (6th round or higher)

As suggested in the past, there should be a draft rule in place that each pick requires a separate post.
10-07-2015 10:35 AM
FrozenGlacier Offline
Coach of the Rum Pirates

(10-07-2015 10:28 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 12:00 PM)FrozenGlacier Wrote:  Might be a little exaggerated, but MikeF, Tarheel, and needabuzz had great to good drafts, the others are all C level quality IMO. Was it lindy that drafted 8th, if so his team looks interesting but could backfire. Still a few rounds to go, but I think I would have loved drafting over there instead of the Atlantic. I think we all have pretty good teams.

This from the guy who drafted Trevor Cooney and is wagering his entire season on a center who no one is sure will even start for his team.

BTW, your bench is complete garbage. You better hope your starters all pan out. Will even one of those guys get 20 minutes a game this season?

This coming from a guy who drafted meeks who will barely get 20 minutes and a freshman pg who isn't as good as the Duke hype he is getting.
10-07-2015 11:01 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Thornton doesn't have to be Tyus Jones... he just has to distribute the ball to the shooters and lob to Ingram for dunks. If I get 8 points and 4 assists from him with decent FT shooting, I'm satisfied. The scoring and rebounding is coming from my bigs this season along with Gbinije.

And if Meeks or Thornton don't pan out, I still have a chance in Hades of one of my reserves stepping in. I mean seriously... what led you to think Grayson Allen's back-up, Damion Lee's back-up, and Devin Thomas' back-up were going to play anything approaching worthwhile minutes?
10-07-2015 11:11 AM
captainblackbeard13 Offline
Coach of the Marauders

(10-07-2015 11:11 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  Thornton doesn't have to be Tyus Jones... he just has to distribute the ball to the shooters and lob to Ingram for dunks. If I get 8 points and 4 assists from him with decent FT shooting, I'm satisfied. The scoring and rebounding is coming from my bigs this season along with Gbinije.

And if Meeks or Thornton don't pan out, I still have a chance in Hades of one of my reserves stepping in. I mean seriously... what led you to think Grayson Allen's back-up, Damion Lee's back-up, and Devin Thomas' back-up were going to play anything approaching worthwhile minutes?

Just so you know, Luke Kennard will be the 3rd leading scorer on duke and probably play 20 minutes a game. Unless something drastic changes or K bails on his preseason plans Luke Kennard will be the steal of the draft. There even has been some talk that Thornton will lose a lot of minutes to him at the start of the year.
10-07-2015 11:16 AM
FrozenGlacier Offline
Coach of the Rum Pirates

(10-07-2015 11:11 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  Thornton doesn't have to be Tyus Jones... he just has to distribute the ball to the shooters and lob to Ingram for dunks. If I get 8 points and 4 assists from him with decent FT shooting, I'm satisfied. The scoring and rebounding is coming from my bigs this season along with Gbinije.

Again, we are talking the bench. Allen will not play but 30 min a game and Kannard is essentially the backup at both guard spots. Moore imo will start with Thomas or get a bunch of minutes either way (worth the shot). Lee's back up went 3 rounds earlier in your draft, so I'll take my chances. Also, in PR the best lineup was Deng playing sf with the transfers as the 2 guards.
10-07-2015 11:45 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

So Coach K is going to toss two shooting guards on the floor to handle the ball? Instead of the point guard he convinced to skip his senior year of HS to enroll early and provide him with a ball-handler? I'm pretty sure K is a smarter guy than that.
10-07-2015 11:48 AM
tarheels15 Offline
The next Mike Rice (Coach of Kitty Cats)

Maybe I'm missing something but I think Chris has the best team in the league at this point of preseason.
10-07-2015 12:28 PM
Coach of the Marauders

I think you might be. He has a pretty good team but from what I see he is in the lower third of the league in points and FT shooting and in the upper third of the league in rebounds and defense and I have him projected as probably the top team I'm assists. Overall he definitely would be top 5 if I were ranking teams, but I have not looked at the other teams in the coastal.
10-07-2015 12:55 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Lower 3rd in points? Young and Gbinije are potential 15-20ppg scorers. Meeks is pretty solid for 12 with the potential for more. Give me even 8ppg from Thornton/Perrantes/Roberson and I'm posting 132-152 a week which is smack in the middle of the league last year. I think my numbers are more than reasonable if not conservative.

My efforts were focused on rebounds, assists, and defense, I acknowledge. I think I can hold my own in scoring. And if Gbinje shows the improvement in his shooting that was on display in the last month last year, we'll be fine at the FT line. I got the league's best FT shooting F/C (Young), a great FT shooter in Perrantes, and (again, assuming the improvement) a solid high-volume shooter in Gbinije. As long as Roberson and Meeks aren't going to the line in bulk, I'm happy to get into a charity stripe contest.
10-07-2015 01:08 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

I’ve been reading through this thread and can’t keep up, so I’m going to post a bunch of random thoughts that may or may not make sense

FrozenGlacier was not be sarcastic
Trevor Cooney will be a solid player, should duplicate last year’s numbers if not improve
Yup, Davon Reed was picked in the 6th round of the Atlantic
Meeks is a great pick at 24th. He’ll get 25 minutes a night for a team that runs. Joel James is barely even a basketball player.
Derryck Thornton will get 35 minutes a night at Duke. That will lead to very good 5th/6th round numbers.
Luke Kennard will not be the 3rd leading scorer for Duke. I’ll wager something on that.
There has been no talk about Kennard stealing minutes from Thornton at the PG position. Kennard will be the backup to give Thornton an occasional breather.
Allen likely will play close to 30 minutes, and Kennard still has to compete with Matt Jones for minutes.
I like Deng Adel. Pitino is going to have to find a way to get him on the floor. Solid 10th pick imo.
Chris will likely be my preseason #1 … again.
10-07-2015 01:12 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(10-07-2015 11:11 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  I got the league's best FT shooting F/C (Young)
Not to pat myself on the back [pat pat] but that title might go to Boris Bojanovsky. Dude hit 40 free throws @ 82% in his last 13 games. By comparison, Young hit 42 at a 68% clip. I'm not sure what happened to Young's free throw % last year, but he ought to get it back without banging at the center spot all night. Ole' Boris is one of the best defensive centers per minute in the league too. How am I the only guy out of 16 owners who thought about drafting him?
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 01:22 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
10-07-2015 01:17 PM
tarheels15 Offline

I'll be pissed if I don't make the tourney. Feel like at worst I should finish 5th or 6th overall.
10-07-2015 01:20 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

My preseason rankings like the Tarheels. Both literally and in fantasy land.
10-07-2015 01:23 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(10-07-2015 01:17 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  
(10-07-2015 11:11 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  I got the league's best FT shooting F/C (Young)
Not to pat myself on the back [pat pat] but that title might go to Boris Bojanovsky. Dude hit 40 free throws @ 82% in his last 13 games. By comparison, Young hit 42 at a 68% clip. I'm not sure what happened to Young's free throw % last year, but he ought to get it back without banging at the center spot all night. Ole' Boris is one of the best defensive centers per minute in the league too. How am I the only guy out of 16 owners who thought about drafting him?

Yeah, I think it was a reflection of trying to battle with Okafor, Meeks, and Auguste every night. He'll be less body-weary when his battles are with Brice Johnson, Tyler Roberson, et al. Guy is a solid 75% shooter IMO.

Bojanovsky probably is THE best FT shooting big in the league... I guess I just don't know how much he's going to play.
10-07-2015 01:37 PM
Coach of the Marauders

Here is a composite on how myslef and my fellow dukies project the scoring this year for Duke.

Ingram 17 ppg
Allen 15 ppg
Kennard 10 ppg
Thornton 10 ppg
Jones 8 ppg
AJ 8 ppg
Jeter 6 ppg
Plumlee 5 ppg
Obi 3 ppg

Kennard will be huge for Duke, maybe if you were a Duke fan you would realize that most if not all of the scoring will come from the guards this year and K has already said that he will be playing small a lot until Jeter is ready and even then Jeter will probably just replace AJ or Plumlee at the C position. Probably the only way Kennard does not AVG between 8 and 10 points a game this year would be to miss time from injury or if Allen and Ingram both AVG 20 ppg (which is entirely possible).
10-07-2015 01:44 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Reading the Duke boards... I haven't seen a single word about Kennard being this 6th man wonder. In short, link?
10-07-2015 01:45 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

I HAVE, however, read Duke open practice reports stating that Thornton will play a LOT of minutes and break plenty of ankles.
10-07-2015 01:46 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

I suspect Kennard will be very similar in production to Grayson Allen last year. He'll have the occasional night where he blows up for 20 points on 9 shots, but he's not going to be a consistent double digit scorer. Sig bet? Anybody? Those 35 points a game he scored in high school were against worse competition than I've seen in a 30+ year old men's C league at the local church.

edit: He looks like a great player, but is hard to judge when he's the tallest player on the court in his "mixtapes". The defense of Allen, Jones, and Ingram is going to get them the lion's share of minutes in the backcourt/wing. If Kennard can't defend at a high level, he's good for 10-15 minutes a night.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 01:58 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
10-07-2015 01:50 PM
tarheels15 Offline

I may have to trade one of these guards if they all are as good as advertised lol. Get the feeling Paige, McClellan, Reed and Allen are all in for pretty big years.
10-07-2015 02:53 PM