Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
NBA Playoffs Thread
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

NBA Playoffs Thread
I got Warriors-Spurs and Cavs-Raptors, with Spurs beating the Cavs.

As for the West, Spurs-Clippers, on paper, is one of the best 1st round playoffs matchups ever. As a Spurs fan, I'm happy to see Golden State on the other side of the bracket but this Clips series may go 7 games.

The East seems like a cakewalk for LeBron and the Cavs. Maybe Brad Stevens has some magical tournament dust left? I'd take the Wiz over the Raps if Beal wasn't so injury prone, and the Bulls could get swept or force Game 7 with the Cavs and I wouldn't be surprised.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2015 11:49 AM by ULismyhothot.)
04-18-2015 11:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

RE: NBA Playoffs Thread
Isn't Atlanta supposed to be a contender?

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
04-18-2015 03:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

Not sure about the whole team, but Korver seems to be a contender.
04-18-2015 04:43 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

yeah, they are but I have my doubts in high-leverage games. Raps not making my pick look good, but I'd take the Wiz over the Hawks, too assuming Beal doesn't fall apart.
04-18-2015 09:50 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

I'll save Cavs/Bulls for ECF, Warriors/Rockets for WCF. Warriors over Cavs in the finals. Chalky.
04-19-2015 11:49 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(04-19-2015 11:49 AM)DieHardCards Wrote:  I'll save Cavs/Bulls for ECF, Warriors/Rockets for WCF. Warriors over Cavs in the finals. Chalky.

I'd pick the Bulls too (after Game 1 was already played, haha) but they're on the same side of the Eastern Conference bracket as the Cavs.

[Image: nba-2015-playoff-bracket.jpg]
04-19-2015 02:38 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Celtics up early on the Cavs. Kelly Olynyk killing 'em, hahaha.
04-19-2015 02:43 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

okay, that didn't last long. Kyrie is prettay prettay good.
04-19-2015 03:11 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

I really, really like the NBA playoffs. Say what you want about the regular season, but the playoffs are something every basketball fan can enjoy IMO. Still a bunch of whining to the officials, but wow these guys are good.
04-20-2015 09:16 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Glad to have another NBA apologist, haha. I used to think the NBA sucked, mostly b/c it did suck in the 00s, and started watching the playoffs back when I lived in Vegas in the late 00s. B/c we get every Spurs game on some local fox sports regional channel, I've watched the 1st and 4th quarters of about 60 or so of their games this year and in turn, this is the most I've anticipated the NBA Playoffs since I was a little kid. And back then I only really cared once the conference finals began.

The talent level is so much better than college, alarmingly so when you switch back and forth between them. I used to be a "hurrr but they don't play defense hurrr" guy but have learned to appreciate just how entertaining basketball can be when it's officiated, uh differently. Sure, the defense is a little different from college, but the rules heavily favor the offensive player and it makes for a more enjoyable product compared to the slugfests of NBA past, imo. They should call more traveling violations, but I don't mind the continuation rule (would love to see it in the college game) and occasional star treatment. I guess I'm watching it for the same reasons I watch Game of Thrones--it's entertaining and I'm mildly rooting for one team (Spurs) but really just want to have a good time watching it.
04-20-2015 02:54 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(04-20-2015 09:16 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  Still a bunch of whining to the officials, but wow these guys are good.

Actually tried to watch a little this past weekend. Saw Pau Gasol and James Harden crying about every call that didn't go their way. Changed the channel.

Maybe I try Steph Curry? Is he a world-class whiner like Gasol and Harden?
04-20-2015 03:56 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(04-20-2015 02:54 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  I guess I'm watching it for the same reasons I watch Game of Thrones--it's entertaining and I'm mildly rooting for one team (Spurs) but really just want to have a good time watching it.

Team Daenerys or Team Tyrion? You seem like a Tyrion fan to me. John Snow? Baelish? God damn you, don't say Baelish!
04-20-2015 03:59 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(04-20-2015 03:56 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  
(04-20-2015 09:16 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  Still a bunch of whining to the officials, but wow these guys are good.

Actually tried to watch a little this past weekend. Saw Pau Gasol and James Harden crying about every call that didn't go their way. Changed the channel.

Maybe I try Steph Curry? Is he a world-class whiner like Gasol and Harden?
Dirk was the worst offender I saw. Probably because James Harden dove into his chest and they called the foul on Dirk who was running in a straight line to the basket.

And then I think, how is that any worse than college players who do the same thing with 1/2 the talent?
04-20-2015 04:13 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Yeah, Dirk did a lot of whining too.

Tried to watch the Bulls game tonight. Saw more of the same and turned on Let's Be Cops.

I say all this knowing full well that college basketball is no better. I have an alumni interest in that. But it's for the same reasons I don't watch most hoops outside our team and the league.
04-20-2015 08:33 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(04-20-2015 03:59 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  
(04-20-2015 02:54 PM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  I guess I'm watching it for the same reasons I watch Game of Thrones--it's entertaining and I'm mildly rooting for one team (Spurs) but really just want to have a good time watching it.

Team Daenerys or Team Tyrion? You seem like a Tyrion fan to me. John Snow? Baelish? God damn you, don't say Baelish!

Hah, good question. Tyrion's cool with me. The "guy behind the guy" thing with both Varys and Baelish is interesting, but I'd rather see Arya or Jon Snow in charge. I think the book-readers' theories on Snow's true lineage make me think he's headed for the throne, so in the back of my mind I don't want to waste too much time rooting for someone else if I think he's got a 50/50 chance of being The Guy. The book author told the TV showrunners his final plan so I think they'll try to honor that but they've already gone off-script this season according to book-readers. Anywho, back to your original question, I'm probably just rooting for the people the showrunners want us to root for but bigger picture just want the main characters to engage each other more which seems to be happening now.

Edit: the odds of there not being an "iron throne" at the end are pretty great, right? To bring our other thread about welfare full circle, sorta, I think it's likely the throne is either destroyed or deemed worthless by the time someone like Baelish gains control of it and in the end there's a world council aka congress that rules the entire country.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 10:26 PM by ULismyhothot.)
04-20-2015 10:01 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Dirk whining about missed calls led to 3 fast breaks and I only caught half that game. But college kids absolutely do the same shit with half the talent.
04-20-2015 10:04 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Anthony Davis is a freak. Steph Curry is ridiculous but if you're starting a team from scratch, I think you have to go with Davis.
04-20-2015 10:07 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Whoa, they just (correctly) called traveling on Steph Curry. So much for star treatment, lol.
04-20-2015 10:39 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Wish these Western Conference games started sooner. I didn't even make it through the 1st quarter of GS and NO. Even NO fans have to stay up till midnight to watch it. Doesn't seem like a great way to maximize TV sets
04-21-2015 08:32 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Warriors down 3...

https://vine.co/v/eaVME9i6h3j

and they could've called a foul.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2015 11:22 PM by ULismyhothot.)
04-23-2015 11:21 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

[Image: CDVN--wUkAErMKS.jpg]

[Image: ARHL42R.png]

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CDVZkATVIAEydJm.mp4
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2015 12:48 AM by ULismyhothot.)
04-24-2015 12:04 AM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

That was a hell of a shot!
04-24-2015 05:32 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Ha, New Orleans blew that massive lead? Wow.
04-24-2015 08:35 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Aside from Spurs-Clippers, there's only 1 other non-sweep so far after the #8 Nets took down the #1 Hawks in Brooklyn this afternoon; Hawks up 2-1.

Looking ahead to the 2nd Round, the most intriguing series by far is Bulls-Cavs. Butler guarding LeBron should be fun.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2015 04:36 PM by ULismyhothot.)
04-25-2015 04:35 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Finally found a fun team to watch. Golden State is pretty OK. The number of times they caught New Orleans on the screen-and-slip last night was comical. Just free layup after free layup. And of course you have Curry and Thompson raining threes from the parking lot. The fact that Anthony Davis couldn't seem to every convert those lob dunks that seem to be a staple of his pro highlight reel speaks to the fact that they can play a little D as well.

Would like to see them and San Antonio meet up.
04-26-2015 12:45 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Warriors are the funnest team to me also. I'm pulling for them.
04-26-2015 02:36 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Warriors play such good D, they make Stephen Curry look like a good defender.
04-26-2015 09:03 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

So much for my Cavs-Raptors ECF prediction. Not sure I've ever seen a team tank a playoff series like there were NBA Draft implications.
04-26-2015 09:08 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(04-18-2015 11:11 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  As for the West, Spurs-Clippers, on paper, is one of the best 1st round playoffs matchups ever. As a Spurs fan, I'm happy to see Golden State on the other side of the bracket but this Clips series may go 7 games.
Spurs/Clips lived up to the hype and maybe even surpassed it. Incredible 1st round series. It's a shame one of those 2 teams only got to play 1 series.

Bulls/Cavs is going to be a good one too. Always love seeing Lebron play against the Bull's physical defense.
05-04-2015 03:34 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Weird seeing the Spurs lose so early and yet it wasn't even a letdown. The Clippers might be the second best team with Kevin Love hurt. Chris Paul and DeAndre Jordan are two of the elite at their positions but I didn't think Blake Griffin could play this well. Spurs had no answer for him, Parker and Ginobili were meh and Kawhi only had a couple good "Kawhi" games. I assumed the Spurs would advance because the Clips bench is so awful but am glad CP advanced. I don't like the Clippers--and I'm pretty neutral about most teams not named Spurs--but he deserves to play in a Finals. They've got a gauntlet ahead of them though, the West is unfair.

Hell of a series though, can't say I wasn't entertained.
05-04-2015 05:26 PM
nicklindy Offline
Coach of the Wheats

Only watched the last 4 minutes of game 7 in the Spurs Clippers and the Spurs got robbed...lots of bad calls.
05-04-2015 09:05 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(05-04-2015 09:05 PM)nicklindy Wrote:  Only watched the last 4 minutes of game 7 in the Spurs Clippers and the Spurs got robbed...lots of bad calls.

I watched all but about 4 minutes of the entire series and there were periods where the Clippers got jobbed by bad calls too, fwiw.

The CP flop vs. Duncan in Game 7 was aggravating but Ginobili has been flopping for years so I can't complain too much. The "accidental" clock error on that last inbounds play Saturday was pretty awful though, all you can do is laugh. That the Spurs were able to avenge the stomach-punch 2013 Finals loss to the Heat last season definitely eases the blow of this one.
05-04-2015 10:48 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(And it should be acknowledged the Spurs could've avoided all this by not losing to the Pelicans in the last game of the reg season, but I'm not mad or anything).
05-04-2015 11:10 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Lebron passed up a ton of open shots last night. I get it - he wants to get his teammates involved - but if you want to win in the playoffs, you need to take the wide open 15 foot shot when they give it to you. 5 years ago, I NEVER would have thought Jimmy Butler would be checking Lebron James and making him look human. Butler is just easy to root for.

For anyone insterested to see what Harrell could become at the next level, watch the matchup between Taj Gibson and Tristan Thompson. Harrell ought to model his game after those two.
05-05-2015 08:43 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

So you're saying the playoffs have already started????Tongue
05-05-2015 08:46 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Apparently yesterday was the first time in 84 playoff games that Lebron James' team did not lead at any point in the game. Bulls have lost 4-1 the last 3 times they met James in the playoffs. Might actually win this time with Kevin Love out.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 09:37 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
05-05-2015 09:33 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Trying to figure out who LeBron's historical cousin is in NBA terms. Unquestionably the best player of his generation, but a guy who (at the moment) is 2-3 in the Finals and has just the two rings to show in his 11 (and mostly likely to become) 12 professional seasons.

Is he the Wilt Chamberlain of forwards? Wilt went 2-5 in the Finals as the best player of his generation. But Bill Russell (Tim Duncan?) was the guy with all the rings.
05-05-2015 09:58 AM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

(05-05-2015 09:58 AM)chrislindy Wrote:  Unquestionably the best player of his generation...

He should have been but it's questionable imo. He never really wanted to be the man, he just wants to fade into a team and hope people stop putting so much pressure on him. But when you call yourself the king and act like changing teams is the height of your career then you're gonna get even more scrutiny.

Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan both have a solid argument towards being the best of that generation and that's not even counting the giant title discrepancy.

Like J was talking about, there's no reason in the world for one of the supposed all-time greats to pass up open 15-footers in the playoffs, or any game for that matter. If he's that good, and he is, then he should be scoring at will from that distance and making Jimmy Butler look like Jimmy Butler. Wide open 15-footers are an automatic 2-points for him or any top NBA player. But he doesn't want it.

My guess is that he's just going to fade away into nothing after a few more great statistical seasons. He'll keep getting passed up by younger, much hungrier superstars and when the media is finally able to use the 'old age, lost a step' excuse he'll run with it. "Finally, I can quit for real." What would be grotesquely hilarious is if he does it without winning Cleveland a title.

I was going to say 'don't get me started' on Lebron, but I think I already started.

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 03:03 PM by HarveyGlass.)
05-05-2015 03:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J-Rye_UL Offline

Kobe and Duncan are 6 and 9 years older than Lebron, respectively. Duncan has 5 NBA titles, but hasn't won Finals MVP in a decade. Kobe only won Finals MVP twice with his 5 titles. Lebron spent 4 years with a super team, and won 2 Finals MVP trophies as a result. People hate Kobe because he's a ball hog, then those same people hate Lebron because he isn't a ball hog. Lebron put himself in a lose lose situation by first calling himself "The King" and second making "The Decison". But after that first title, a change was pretty apparent in him and I found myself rooting for him at times. I like to see greatness get humbled - that happened to Lebron in 2010, and I'm REALLY glad that happened. But at this point, I agree that he's unquestionably the best player of his generation, and he still has 7 or 8 years left while Kobe and Duncan are about to hang it up.
05-05-2015 08:24 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Lebron was fucked when he had people scouting him before he could ride a bike.
05-05-2015 08:40 PM