Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

RE: Tidbits
Loss, win, win.

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
02-10-2015 03:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

We will have 11 players at the NFL combine tomorrow. Tied for most players with Alabama and Florida State.
02-19-2015 03:01 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

that's pretty impressive, especially during a coaching turnover
02-19-2015 04:50 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Will Stein joining Strong's staff at Texas.
02-23-2015 08:49 AM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Good luck to him in his coaching career.

02-23-2015 03:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Devildog Offline
Big Member

The Detroit News is reporting that Desmond Fitzpatrick is considering de-committing from Louisville in favor of Michigan.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/.../23945819/
02-24-2015 03:48 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Not a good sign that he cried when Michigan offered him. lol

02-24-2015 04:05 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Wayne Blackshear - Academic All-American!
02-27-2015 05:06 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Hamburglar All-American.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 05:10 PM by HarveyGlass.)
02-27-2015 05:10 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Longshot of Braxton Miller coming in as a graduate transfer. Would be nice..
02-27-2015 05:10 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

TIL I, too, could be an Academic All-American at the DI level. Just get good grades... no on-court production necessary.
02-27-2015 05:11 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Congratulations. Especially with all the hours of practice you put in.
02-27-2015 06:58 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Chris who?
03-01-2015 12:01 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Check out this potential transfer. http://louisvillesportslive.net/a-potent...-go-after/
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 07:21 PM by Farmdude.)
03-02-2015 07:21 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(03-02-2015 07:21 PM)Farmdude Wrote:  Check out this potential transfer. http://louisvillesportslive.net/a-potent...-go-after/

One of the recruiting websites was pimping this on twitter the other day. What's the probability of Louisville making an offer?
03-02-2015 08:18 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Teyvon Myers is visiting.
Pitino has been to visit JUCO Mychal Mulder 43% from 3.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 08:44 PM by Farmdude.)
03-02-2015 08:44 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Based only on stats, I'd welcome any of these guys to the program next year. Still, how did we wind up in a position to so critically NEED these guys? Really disappointed that the title didn't lead to a bump in recruiting.
03-02-2015 08:56 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I'm just regurgitating stuff that I read. I don't follow BB recruiting at all but I found Tyler Harvey an interesting fit if he can defend. If you aren't a top defender for Rick your playing time will be limited.
03-02-2015 08:58 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Capt. Obvious here.
03-02-2015 09:00 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-02-2015 08:56 PM)chrislindy Wrote:  Based only on stats, I'd welcome any of these guys to the program next year. Still, how did we wind up in a position to so critically NEED these guys? Really disappointed that the title didn't lead to a bump in recruiting.
Rozier leaving after his sophomore year may be the biggest reason.

We still have Snider, Gill, and Aaron. We add Mitchell and Adel. That's 5 "servicable bodies" to man the 1-3 spots with some versatility - all of them considered top 50 recruits. Recruiting hasn't been the problem as much as player development in my opinion. I would expect to feel more confident about guys like Gill, Mathiang, Aaron, and Johnson at this point in the year, but they've shown zero improvement when the clock is ticking. Blackshear has been a 4 year "what if" story. Mathiang has digressed. Pitino has back to back to back top 10 recruiting classes. Getting players hasn't been the problem. Getting them to produce once they get here is a different story.

I expect Snider, Onuaku, Mahmoud, and Aaron to be nice contributors next year, but I don't see 3rd Team ACC potential for anyone on the roster next year, despite 3 straight top 10 classes.
03-03-2015 10:19 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Fair enough. I think recruiting may be OK, but none of the guys you mentioned came with a can't-miss label. And player development is oddly lacking in the past two years.
03-03-2015 10:25 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Snider has certainly developed.
03-03-2015 10:44 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

This got me wondering, is Shaquan Aaron the highest rated Pitino recruit to completely fall on his face freshman year? Carlos Hurt and Derrick Caracter come to mind, but their problems came between the ears vs. actual ability. Blackshear's problems were injury related. I still have no idea how Aaron was considered a top 30 prospect. What has he done to take himself from top 30, to borderline top 100? I've barely seen glimpses of a top 30 prospect on the court.
03-03-2015 10:49 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-03-2015 10:44 AM)Farmdude Wrote:  Snider has certainly developed.
I think Snider has had the typical freshman learning curve. Nothing more or less. Onuaku is finally back to playing how he did at the beginning of the season, but I haven't seen any improvement. The other 4 haven't gotten enough PT to gauge improvement. I could see Mitchell, Adel, and Spalding immediately competing for the starting spots at the 2-4 next year. Not because they're can't miss prospects, but because I've seen nothing from Gill, Aaron, or Johson to suggest they're going to put up much of a fight.
03-03-2015 10:54 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Pitino said in his last conference that he planned on two freshmen starting immediately. Take it for what it's worth (speaking to the players through the media), but he would seem to think he's going to have PT for the newcomers.

My bet is on these 5th-year transfers starting. If not, why are we bothering to bring them in for 6 months?
03-03-2015 11:47 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Regarding 5th year transfers, a guard would be coming here to start, center maybe not start but be a 15-20 minute backup.

I don't want to judge Q on just his last 3 games, but he was not up to the level of Siva or Smith at the beginning of their frosh season. His last 3 games are better than they were at the end of their frosh season.
03-03-2015 02:07 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

I don't want any 5th years.

03-03-2015 03:49 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

BASKETBALL
Coach Pitino gave the team the day off on Sunday and coach P spent time with his family in Florida before coming back home. I think they all needed a little break after last week.
Have been told that Chris Jones is "doing great" and staying positive through all of the dealings that are going on. He's gone from the team but those guys won't turn their backs on him. He's still a close friend of them all and no matter what anyone believes they wish he was back.
And that comment was because a lot of people saying they "looked like they were having more fun." I just think there was times when Chris was in there that everyone watched him do his thing. He's a really good player but at times he did try and take over the game a little too much.
OK, now he's gone and the Cards move on.
The Anton Gill game was a shock to most of us but not to the team. He had been staying late with Rozier in the gym and was really working on trying to get his confidence up. I wish he hadn't picked up so many cheap fouls because he was really rolling on Saturday. Gill could be that X factor if he can just stay confident.
Still no confidence from Shaqquan Aaron, who is practicing a lot better in the past week but it's not translating onto the floor when he gets hit shot. Kid is too talented not to get it and no I don't think he goes anywhere.
Montrezl Harrell has become more of a positive leader with these guys. He's still tough on them, but I think he's finally realized he has to play it cool with some of these young guys. Just watch Harrell this week, he's in huddles and being positive with a few guys that need it.
Quentin Snider is playing like he's practiced. He wasn't going to get the minutes with Jones on the floor but now that he has to play he's going to be just fine. A star in the making folks!
The Cardinals will take a trip this summer but don't be shocked if it's not the Spain deal they had previously talked about. Sounds like it will be too expensive so looking elsewhere. I'd think we will hear something in the next few weeks, it will be a VERY important trip because of the roster and young guys.
I'd expect Wayne Blackshear and Montrezl Harrell to go through Senior Day festivities.
Terry Rozier - in my opinion - is still certainly leaving at the end of the season. Am told he has a line of folks when the end of the season is here and he makes up his mind that want to get him on their team.
It appears Mychal Mulder is a little ahead of Teyvon Myers at this point as far as the junior-college kids the staff is recruiting at this point. Mulder is a better shooter and a good scorer , while Myers is more Russ Smith-like and that he can score and is more of a do-it-all guy on offense.
Still not sure they will take a JUCO guy, but it's looking like that could be the option. One JUCO guy and one fifth-year senior - still no names. You guys have any suggestions?
Maverick Rowan, wow. Love the kids all-around game and yes he's a Luke Hancock-type player. Would be a major, major addition and he will be the top target in recruiting this spring along with Tyus Battle. Those are the two main guys for the staff.
An intriguing name to watch in '16 is Mario Kegler. Could end up being a major, major target.
Am interested to see in the next month what '17 and now even a couple of '18 names emerge for the Cardinals. The '17 ones will be a big focus soon.

Lots of chatter about Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller and could he end up at Louisville. I have been told by two or three folks that it's not happening. Even had someone from the Buckeye side of things say Miller might not even make a move, perhaps opting to stay and compete in spring ball.
Workouts are going great and hearing really good things from some folks on Jaire Alexander. Might be the sleeper of that class and he's already enrolled. Am looking forward to watching him in the spring. Remember, he was committed to South Carolina until right before he signed.
Lots of football coming up. Junior Day will be held this Saturday with upwards of 60-ish prospects expected to attend the Junior Day. And then there's Pro Day next Wednesday where the Cardinals' NFL prospects are expected to work out for nearly all the teams in the NFL. Will be a great crowd.
Heard Jamon Brown was injured a bit at the NFL Combine and here's hoping he's good for pro day. He had been getting some solid reviews from folks. John Miller's stock is still going up.
Michael Dyer's interview at the NFL Combine was the first that he had done with any media folks since he arrived at Louisville. We asked over and over again, but Dyer wanted nothing to do with talking to the media once he transferred to Louisville. Seriously, I never heard his voice in two years!
Expect one or two commitments from football prospects in the 2016 class in the next week or so. I would imagine they'll be able to get a couple coming out of Junior Day.
The recruiting class for 2016 will be small folks. The staff has offered a ton of guys and are narrowing it down some, but in the end the number will be much smaller than it was this year.
Expect some changes to come out soon on recruiting. The staff will change up the philosophy a bit heading into the second full year of recruiting a class.
03-03-2015 07:57 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-03-2015 07:57 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  The recruiting class for 2016 will be small folks. The staff has offered a ton of guys and are narrowing it down some, but in the end the number will be much smaller than it was this year.
Expect some changes to come out soon on recruiting. The staff will change up the philosophy a bit heading into the second full year of recruiting a class.
Thanks DHC. The bit I quoted above doesn't sound like good news. Did your source elaborate?
03-04-2015 08:47 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Not sure why it's bad news to you. It is the cycle of football recruiting. You can sign 25 a year but only have 85 on scholarships. I believe that our next class will show that Petrino can recruit at a high level. Not Bama OSU level but have classes around the 20 ranking. Looking at what we lose this season I can't see where we will have a glaring hole. Should be good with QBs and WRs, RBs will be needed. Other than that just recruit the best kids you can without having to be position specific. C Strong left us in a deficit at several positions but those are now pretty well shored up with transfers and JUCOs.

BTW we won't be ranked any higher than this year because # of players counts for a lot in these rankings.
03-04-2015 08:56 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(03-04-2015 08:47 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  
(03-03-2015 07:57 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  The recruiting class for 2016 will be small folks. The staff has offered a ton of guys and are narrowing it down some, but in the end the number will be much smaller than it was this year.
Thanks DHC. The bit I quoted above doesn't sound like good news. Did your source elaborate?

Nope not yet. Which was really vague. But maybe at the first of next week, I'll know what the encrypted philosophy changes means. I'll keep you guys updated.
03-04-2015 02:08 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(03-04-2015 08:56 AM)Farmdude Wrote:  Not sure why it's bad news to you. It is the cycle of football recruiting. You can sign 25 a year but only have 85 on scholarships. I believe that our next class will show that Petrino can recruit at a high level. Not Bama OSU level but have classes around the 20 ranking. Looking at what we lose this season I can't see where we will have a glaring hole. Should be good with QBs and WRs, RBs will be needed. Other than that just recruit the best kids you can without having to be position specific. C Strong left us in a deficit at several positions but those are now pretty well shored up with transfers and JUCOs.

BTW we won't be ranked any higher than this year because # of players counts for a lot in these rankings.
Hearing that they "offered a ton" but "the class will be small" leads me to believe they're expecting a bunch of whiffs or greyshirt offers
03-04-2015 03:44 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Not sure that's the take, we are now fishing in the big pond. Definitely will have more misses, but if you don't have a great need then take the shotgun approach. Just my take. I'm really not concerned about this staff and recruiting. I do think we start losing staff next year.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2015 03:51 PM by Farmdude.)
03-04-2015 03:50 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

I'm not worried because I've seen what Petrino can do with 2 and 3 stars. This year was his best class ever at UofL.

03-04-2015 03:53 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Just got a commit from a monster nose tackle. TJ London. Listed as big as 350 lbs. Hope we can keep him in the fold. Gets in a great stance for a big'un and very quick first step. Normally wouldn't mention this at this time of year but if he can handle conditioning and stay sound he could be a game changer.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1942379/high...7103375/v2
03-04-2015 05:01 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Jesus can you believe we're talking football in early March?
03-04-2015 05:02 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

I love it.

03-04-2015 06:12 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Yeah I was coming to post this. Dude is huge. And he's teammates with Jawon Pass. We're really getting an inside track with him.
03-04-2015 06:29 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Needs to lose weight. He's not gonna be bowling over college kids like that.

03-04-2015 06:59 PM