Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Tidbits
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Tidbits
Might try to keep this updated if you guys are interested...

FOOTBALL

-Todd Grantham's name has popped up for the opening for defensive coordinator at LSU and I had someone today tell me to "watch it closely." But chatted tonight with someone who knows the ins and outs of the LSU football program and he told me than Grantham was "down the list a bit."
-I don't think it's anything to worry about. But they did pay the DC $1.3 million last year, so you never know.
-James Sample turning pro is a little surprising. He sounded like he was all set to return before the bowl game and then said it was up to his dad to help him make the decision. He could raise up in the eyes of the NFL scouts (rounds 4-5 now) with a good showing at workouts and a pro day.
-I'm not surprised by Holliman and certainly can see Sample giving it a try after the season he had. I don't think Gaines should go, but there's no talking him back I am told. In fact, a former staff member told me they would have been stunned if he played a senior year here - and that was months ago.
- Recruiting is going very well.....25 commitments right now for the Cardinals.
- I do expect commitment 26 and perhaps even 27 to come in the next few days (week?) and I would imagine they could both be standout wide receivers! wink
-Keep an eye out on some new names that could pop up - guys who might be looking for a place to visit this month and the staff checking them out to see if they can get some better players.
-Will try to do an update on potential prospects later this week - I think the staff will track about 12-15 guys the rest of the way. Never know what could happen in recruiting folks.
-FYI, U of L has a real shot at Dexter Williams...the former RB commit from Miami. A top 150 player...
-Expect all 8 JUCO (or early H.S. enroll) guys in town by the weekend....

BASKETBALL

-The minutes for Shaqquan Aaron - even with defensive lapses - are expected to go up in the coming games. He will be a major factor by mid-January - if not earlier. Staff loves his progression.
-Chris Jones not only had the best game of his career but two of the best practices he's ever had leading up to that game at Wake Forest. I'm telling you when he listens he can be ridiculous....it's all about focus and concentration with Jones, who is easily distracted.
-Have always been a Wayne Blackshear fan and backer....but he's getting the staff and me kind of antsy. I just want to see more urgency in his game, not sure what has happened in recent weeks.
-Anas Mahmoud will likely continue to start as coach P and the staff try to get something going from the 5 spot - even if it's a 5-by-committee deal with the three guys.
-Anton Gill wasn't great but did some good things against Wake Forest in the second half.
-Again with the '15 class and that one spot in recruiting, don't expect the staff to react too soon on any guys. Kobe Eubanks is a guy they are watching like several others.
-I'd still be willing to bet the fourth guy in the class will be a fifth-year transfer.
-More Maverick Rowan love coming from Louisville? Likely another trip to see the top '16 target in the coming weeks for the U of L staff.
-Remember the name David Sloan...Taylor County's PG from the 2017 class. U of L is now recruiting him and will keep a close eye on the dynamic guard.
01-07-2015 02:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

RE: Tidbits
So many entries telling me to keep an eye on a time when I'm nearly 40.

I don't want to be a man! I'm 35!
01-07-2015 09:30 AM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Nice tidbits.

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
01-07-2015 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

(01-07-2015 11:07 AM)HarveyGlass Wrote:  Nice tidbits.

You think they're real?
01-07-2015 12:01 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

They're real. And they're FABULOUS!
01-07-2015 12:23 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Real or fake, I love tidbits.

I hope we can hang onto Grantham. I like his style. I didn't think I would be satisfied with a defense for a while with Vance gone but Todd was a nice rebound IMO.
01-07-2015 03:49 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Yeah, can't have a constantly revolving door at the head coach or DC positions. I'd like the LB's and this talented group of defensive backs to have some consistency while we get our QB situation in order.
01-07-2015 04:28 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

Fake tidbits are fine for looking at but when you want to get up close and personal, only real tidbits are worth it.
01-07-2015 08:55 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

I was happy with our defense , too. The only problem was the lack of depth, which he can't do much about in his first year. I hope Grantham sticks around long enough to build a deep defense.
01-07-2015 08:56 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(01-07-2015 08:56 PM)BereaCard Wrote:  I was happy with our defense , too. The only problem was the lack of depth, which he can't do much about in his first year. I hope Grantham sticks around long enough to build a deep defense.

Yeah, like Lindy said we don't need a revolving door. I was very happy with our defense. I think that's the general consensus of cardnation as a whole. And the fact that LSU would want to lure him away tells me that we aren't the only ones that thought we performed pretty well. Georgia fans had an itchy trigger for no reason, IMO.
01-07-2015 09:02 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Okay maybe I didn't post about this but I thought I did...

Garrick McGee was offered the OC job at Oklahoma. He turned it down. Oklahoma is his alma mater. He said some good stuff. CBP said he was glad that he was committed to UL and to helping us win a title like the rest of the staff. I like where things are headed.
01-08-2015 08:55 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I'm fucking shocked.
01-08-2015 10:24 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Make that two of us. If he won't give us up for his alma mater, we're in pretty good shape.
01-08-2015 11:53 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Hearing PITINO wants to take 2 fifth year transfers. Yogi Ferrel is a name I'm hearing. Who knows if that's a possibility but having a Kenny Johnson can't hurt.
01-09-2015 09:11 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Why would Yogi jump ship? And why would Pitino want another Chris Jones?
01-09-2015 09:39 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Don't know. Yogi isn't even a senior. Don't know where the rumor came from.
01-09-2015 09:43 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

except Yogi is actually good at offense
01-09-2015 09:50 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(01-09-2015 09:50 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  except Yogi is actually good at offense

Ehhhh...
01-09-2015 10:48 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Russ being traded to Memphis per sources.
01-09-2015 11:33 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(01-09-2015 11:33 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  Russ being traded to Memphis per sources.
This isn't looking good for him. Memphis loves to slow it down and beat teams in the halfcourt. Doesn't seem like a good fit for Russ.
01-10-2015 01:42 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

BASKETBALL
The game is still on as of now but coach Pitino said on his radio show it was 50-50 if they would play because of the snow storm. I've been told Boston College has told the league they want to play it and the league will make the call at some point late Tuesday afternoon or early evening.
The Cards are planning on flying into Boston on Wednesday - had been planned before the storm - and are not flying into Logan. They are flying into a small airport North of Boston.
Keep a close eye on the schedule if the game is not played on Wednesday. It's pretty certain the game wouldn't be played at all this week, which could make for a tough stretch in late February for the Cardinals. There's already three of four on the road and could be four of five before the final two at home.
Coach Pitino also mentioned a summer trip on his radio show. There's no firm travel plans set yet but the idea is there and it should happen that the Cards play a couple of games in the Canary Islands and a couple in Barcelona. It would be a MAJOR trip for a young and inexperienced team. Would likely be against all professional-type teams and should be set sometime in the next month or so.
A step in the right direction on Sunday and the team is expected to take another one this week. Practices have been awesome and the improvement is easy to see.
The staff has made some changes to the offensive sets. I'm not technical enough with the offense to see what the changes are but I am told they "make it a lot easier for the guards." And the guards did have a sensational game on Sunday at Pittsburgh.
Tough environment on Sunday at Pittsburgh. Even Fr. Bradley was the center of a negative cheer! The students are insane there and really get into it. You have to love it - when you win! biggrin
Expect Quentin Snider to get more minutes in the next few games. He had six on Sunday and I was told he should have been in there a bit more - but Chris and Terry were going pretty good.
Mangok Mathiang has really worked hard in recent weeks and it's starting to show, especially on the free-throw line. He's always active and just needed some focus on the little things. Working hard.
Expect 4-5 recruits in for the UNC game on Saturday, including Huntington Prep's Miles Bridges and Curtis Jones and Indiana '15 standout Caleb Swanigan.
Also I would think Taylor County's Quentin Goodin will return. Not confirmed....but wouldn't surprised.

FOOTBALL
Tough time for the Todd Grantham word to get out. A few key recruits wondering what is going to happen with him and the staff hoping for good news.
I'd say the news - one way or another - will come very, very soon. Have no way to really know what he will do because it's all about the Raiders and will they make him an offer.
Devonte Fields - the former Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year from TCU - will visit Louisville this weekend and he will be in my new mock class as one on the 'in' with the Cardinals. I do think that any Grantham decision would be a major factor in the decision of Fields.
FYI, Louisville will do its do diligence in the case of Fields. There won't be any stone left unturned by the staff and all kinds of background has been - and will be - collected. If he's not a good fit they won't take him.
Still like the Cards landing JUCO offensive lineman Kiola Mahoni in the class. Will answer more recruiting questions in the other thread, but the class still looking very, very strong.
I've said and will continue to say the Cards are in great with QB commit Lamar Jackson.
Several reports this weekend that Dee Smith might be wavering, but I was told he's firm and should be signing with the Cardinals next week. Not too worried about him.
Sleeper could be this Oklahoma kid Darreyl Patterson, who is a kid who could have committed to Oklahoma a few weeks ago but waited too long and they took another commitment. Love his tape and looks like he could be a major, major late sleeper for the staff.
Expect 10 or 11 visitors this weekend, including commits Dee Smith and Amonte Caban. James Allen is the only other commitment who hasn't visited, if he does this week then I would say his academic issues were cleared up. If not, I'm not so sure of his status.
01-27-2015 09:59 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Don't think Grantham will get the job but not the end of the world if he does. A couple of interviews with recruits didn't sound like they were too worried and said that they had only talked to him a couple of times. They talk to their recruited often. If Grantham does leave, look to Randy Shannon. He's a recent hire by UF but reportedly his salary is "only" $400K.

I am concerned about Fields.

Expecting a strong finish by the Cards on the recruiting trail. We will see some decommits but also pick up some flips.
01-27-2015 10:20 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

You think Fields is a bad egg?

Yeah Grantham is making 875k plus a 500k bonus if we go to a bowl. If he does leave, we won't have a problem replacing him with a top notch coach. We have plenty of money to throw.
01-27-2015 10:22 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I don't know but he was dismissed from TCU.
01-27-2015 10:30 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Yeah he had some failed drug tests I believe. Don't know the full story.
01-27-2015 10:35 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(01-27-2015 10:35 AM)DieHardCards Wrote:  Yeah he had some failed drug tests I believe. Don't know the full story.

Not just drug tests. He assaulted (allegedly) his girlfriend.

It would be nothing new for our program to let a guy like him in (Nate Harris, Michael Dyer, etc), but I don't really like the idea of going Miami Light to pick up W's.
01-27-2015 11:01 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Didn't know that. Don't know much about the guy. I agree with you.
01-27-2015 11:07 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

He was never charged but allegedly beat up his girlfriend.
01-27-2015 11:24 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

If you're not alleged for beating up women and children, then you're doing football wrong

wtf is wrong with people?
01-27-2015 12:00 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Red wine decommits and it looks like GG Robinson will also.
01-27-2015 08:43 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Not looking good.
01-27-2015 08:48 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Petrino has a stigma and it's going to take some years to overcome. I didn't realize the animus toward him around the country.
01-27-2015 09:18 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

He hired his mistress at a public university and then lied about it. That's some shameful shit, man. The stigma is what U of L knowingly attached to itself when it hired him so soon after his indiscretions at Arkansas. When people like Dan Wolken shit on Louisville b/c of it, that's exactly what Louisville brought upon themselves. All in the game, yo.

I'm buddies with a few college football coaches/grad assistants here in Texas and when I told them I was a Louisville fan they shook their heads and starting ranting about how awful Petrino is, how he's not well liked amongst the coaching fraternity, etc. I don't see that changing any time soon and it probably shouldn't. He did some dirt and crossed some lines that most people aren't comfortable with.
01-28-2015 01:50 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(01-28-2015 01:50 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  I'm buddies with a few college football coaches/grad assistants here in Texas and when I told them I was a Louisville fan they shook their heads and starting ranting about how awful Petrino is, how he's not well liked amongst the coaching fraternity, etc. I don't see that changing any time soon and it probably shouldn't. He did some dirt and crossed some lines that most people aren't comfortable with.
I'm sure that has nothing to do with the Texas/Arkansas football rivalry?
01-28-2015 10:27 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Redwine tweeted that he never decommitted. That's a little good news.
01-28-2015 11:28 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Now you're just trolling and intentionally posting in a different thread than I did. Lol
01-28-2015 11:31 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I just did it on ITV also. I'm getting too old for this shit. Just call me Katie

01-28-2015 11:34 AM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

I wonder if any other head coaches out there throughout time have ever hired a friend or "acquaintance" for a position? Of course they have. And I wonder how many have had an affair. People act like the boss fucking their pretty secretary is something new. The only thing new is a popular moral righteousness having more and more power.

This stuff pales in comparison to competitive cheating in my mind. These are games, and when the games themselves lose their integrity and fairness, it's all pointless. Coaches cheating on their spouses and then lying about it when they get caught is so far down the list I give a shit about as a sports fan.

I can see the coaching fraternity not liking Petrino because he's just an asshole, or because he wins a lot, or maybe he lies to recruits or something, but because he had an affair? Nah.

But with that being said, I totally agree that this is what UofL signed on for when they hired him. It's part of what they bought into. Nevermind that bigtime success here will have the Texas's, Oklahomas, Alabamas, and Michigans of the world all knocking down his door if they have 4 or 5 losing seasons in a row.

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 11:37 AM by HarveyGlass.)
01-28-2015 11:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Hahaha
01-28-2015 11:35 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(01-28-2015 11:35 AM)HarveyGlass Wrote:  I wonder if any other head coaches out there throughout time have ever hired a friend or "acquaintance" for a position? Of course they have. And I wonder how many have had an affair. People act like the boss fucking their pretty secretary is something new. The only thing new is a popular moral righteousness having more and more power.

I work on the presumption that everything in House of Cards is completely accurate and normal. You don't get to these levels of power without having influence and wielding (for good and bad). You're also probably a mild sociopath at best and down with even more twisted shit than usually makes the tabloids.
01-28-2015 12:44 PM