Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
(S7)DHC Draft Rankings
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(S7)DHC Draft Rankings
Doing a little preseason ranking projections based on your starting 6, this is what I've came up with based on who you have and where they rank in MY player rankings. Not necessarily an indicator at this time as how I feel the teams will finish out, we'll look into that and probably vote for a preseason coaches poll as soon as the draft finishes up. I haven't really looked at how the needs were filled and how the teams shape up. Just something to pass the time. I'm not the authority and I welcome you to post your draft rankings as well. These are not scientific and are certainly up for debate. That's the point actually.

1. DHC's Dominators- No surprise here. But to be honest, my first 6 picks were all in my pre-draft top 25 rankings and that's the truth. How they gel together and form a winning unit is unseen. A little too much balance, IMO. Best Pickup-Angel Rodriguez in the 4th. I think he's a top notch guard and I have high hopes that he will be better than a top 30 contributor where my team needs him. Worst Pickup-Amile Jefferson in the 6th. Returning from an injury. My team has been blasted by injuries in the past. Hope it wasn't a mistake.

2. Premature Shooters-Solid well balanced team with a terrific backcourt and an explosive frontcourt. Will be a formidable challenge to anyone, anywhere. Best Pickup-Chris Jones was an absolute steal in the fifth round. His assists and points are likely to increase and defense will remain the same or improve with his conditioning. Worst Pickup- Rakeem Christmas is poised to have a good year but he would have probably made it at least 1 more round. The F/C eligibility and scarcity makes it acceptable but there were equal or better selections on the board that were taken in the next round that confirm this.

3. Freeballers- The reigning back-to-back champions are perched at the top again. I really like this team. McClellan is an impact transfer playing alongside my point guard and Kennedy Meeks could #Turnup this year and be the best center in the league. Best Pickup- James Robinson in the 6th is an excellent choice. Easily a top 25-30 guard. I think he'll eventually start for the Ballers. Which bring me to my.. Worst Pickup- It was the 5th round but Kaleb Joseph is a big gamble. Not completely sold on him. He said it best himself-- "I'm not Tyler Ennis."

4. True Brewin'-Best team drafted by a newcomer that I've seen. Lots of workhorses here. Nice pair of forwards that rival the Ballers. Both of those forwards were high on my list. Should be a good team. Best Pickup- Durand Johnson, if he's in-fact healthy will be an excellent pick in the 4th because of the shallow forward eligible talent pool. Worst Pickup- Joey Van Zegeren in the 2nd round. This only makes sense if you are a Virginia Tech fan. He was not the best available and probably could have made it another round or two.

5. Dragon's- Nice essentially 3 guard lineup up top with Paige, Thomas and Blackshear. Paige and Thomas make up the best backcourt in the conference. They also have 4 players that can play multiple positions. Definitely an advantage if you're short handed or there is an injury. Best Pickup- Even though it was still a 2nd round pick, I have no idea how Thomas made it to 15. One of the best guards in the conference. Worst pickup- Nothing really stands out. Not sure that Michael Young was the best available center remaining and with only 1 team without a center when he was picked, he would have probably made it another round or two.

6. Peaks- I don't like this team, to be honest. But there isn't a whole lot to go on with a team that is starting 3 players that have never played a collegiate game. I gave all incoming freshman generic ratings because I don't think that I could put an accurate number on their value (and I don't know how anyone else could either). Nice experienced back court and plenty of youth and talent. We'll see how they turn out. Best Pickup- Sulaimon is a solid choice in the 5th round. He's a top 30ish guy that could produce nicely if he doesn't get buried under freshman. Worst Pickup-This is tough with freshman as your first two picks. Okafor may live up to his hype so I'll give him a pass especially in a center position that can be a shallow pool. Following up with Jackson in the 2nd pick is going to have to be the worst pickup. He's probably the worst projected starter on albeit a very good UNC team.

7. Medium Maintenance- Another terrific backcourt with the best player in the league, IMO. Frontcourt leaves something to be desired but we'll see how that shakes out. If Winslow and Tobey step it up, the team could be nice. Best Pickup- Grant as the 3rd overall pick. I thought the guy was a clear cut number 1 pick. He's a stat stuffer. Experienced and will put points on the board in every category. He could basically single handedly win you assists and defense with solid performances. Worst pickup- This is tough because I don't like the Boris the blade pick too much but he could potentially be the starter at center when it's all said and done. I'll have to go with Winslow with the worst however. I think there were a couple better proven options on the table and I don't subscribe to freshman hype too often as you may have noticed.

8. Needabuzz- I actually really like this team. This could easily be a top half of the league type of team. And especially with buzz running the show. He always seems to take what I (and most others) consider to be a lackluster strategy and pick selection and turn it into a good team. Jones (Tyus) and Rozier have the potential to be an excellent backcourt and despite being the last person to pick a center he got the third best one by my calculations. That's winning. Brandon and Gill are both guys that were on my "Forward Radar" as well. The negative that drives this team down in the draft rankings is that the backcourt is based purely on potential. It is a potential that I do see fulfilling itself however. Best Pickup-As I said earlier, Nnoko being available after every other team selecting their center is a God-sent. I think this guy will be very good in the middle. Worst Pickup- Terry Rozier is a homer pick. I love the kid and I think that he will be a very good basketball player this year but I wouldn't have taken him with my first round selection. First and Second round selections are interchangeable here since Buzz is at the turn and Tyus Jones would be my other "bad" pickup. So all in all, I think the worst pickup is taking two guards that are loaded with potential but are relatively unproven as your first two selections.

What say you?
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2015 06:17 PM by HarveyGlass.)
10-10-2014 11:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

RE: DHC Draft Rankings
Nice writeup DHC. I really like the Doms this year too. So now I'm gonna make some bold predictions that go against your grain Wink

Rakeem Christmas will end up a better fantasy option than Devin Thomas:
Devin is a double double machine, but once Christmas is getting 30 minutes per game in Cuse's frontcourt, his defense and free throws will put him over the top.

Kaleb Joseph will be the best guard on the Freeballers roster:
IF ... his numbers are anywhere close to young Cuse PG's of the past. When he said "I'm not Tyler Ennis," that was meant to be a good thing. Look for Cuse to get back to their up and down tempo with Joseph running the show. Boeheim likes this newcomer.

Terry Rozier was well worth the 8th/9th pick:
In a league filled with UofL fans, you know he wasn't going to last. Buzz took the guy we all had our eye on. Rozier never would have made it back to Buzz at the end of the 3rd round. He's like the Michael Carter-Williams pick from 2013.
10-11-2014 12:33 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(10-11-2014 12:33 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  When he said "I'm not Tyler Ennis," that was meant to be a good thing.

Don't challenge my context, I'm a doctor of journalism! Haha
10-11-2014 01:20 PM
needabuzz Offline
Enormous Member

Guys I appreciate your write ups. I personally can't do that because I will be honest I really don't know crap about these players. I simply analyze the stats over and over and combine that with the players that I like. I am impressed with your knowledge of these players.
10-12-2014 10:00 AM
needabuzz Offline
Enormous Member

I will also admit if I had realized that these teams were so loaded with guards I may have gone forward or center with my first two picks instead of guard. I need my first two picks to do well.
10-12-2014 10:11 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

I think it's a big chance but I think your two guards will be just fine. They'll live up to the hype, imo.
10-12-2014 12:35 PM
Mike F Offline
Coach - Guardians of the Cassell

Would love to see a similar article on the Atlantic division. Good read.
10-15-2014 09:26 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Update...

1. Angel is playing as good or better than any guard in the conference. Very versatile. Valuable defender. A category that one good player can sway. Amile has been healthy and been a pretty solid player. Completely satisfied with his production as a 6th pick. Marcus Georges-Hunt has been quite unspectacular thus far. Hopefully he steps up his production or he will certainly be the worst selection for the Dominators. Brogdon hasn't really been a solid first rounder early either.

2. I still say that Chris Jones might be the steal of the draft. Dude is a stat stuffer. He's going to put numbers up in every category. The only thing that could inhibit him is sharing the backcourt with another terrific guard. Jekiri was also a hell of a steal. Couldn't be more wrong about the worst pickup. Christmas has been excellent thus far. Like all-conference type of player. He might have made it another round but he's playing like a first rounder. Darius Leonard has been very unimpressive early.

3. I'll stick with my assessments for the ballers. James Robinson is the best guard on the team. I think that Joseph turned out to be the worst draft pick for them as well. There is a lot of basketball to be played and the ballers are always ready come tournament time but Joseph's potential hasn't come to fruition yet.

4. Durand Johnson was a good pick up....until he got suspended. So maybe that wasn't the best pick but only because of unforeseen circumstances. As I suspected, Tokoto has been an excellent pick in the early season. Not enough of a sample size to determine if Van Zegeren was the worst pick. With only having two games, he has looked like a solid puzzle piece and a bench warmer. Time will tell.

5. Not a whole lot to say about the Dragons. Thomas has proven himself the best player on a very average FSU team. Still a great pick up at 15. Definitely worthy of a first round pick. Anderson and Auguste have also been much better than I had anticipated. Young has been serviceable so far. A larger sample size will tell us more. Perrantes has probably been the biggest shocker at this point. Kinda glad I didn't get this guy now.

6. Sulaimon hasn't been very good. I was really torn on this guy. He has plenty of talent but he's buried right now playing 18 minutes or less per game. Okafor has been better than I thought. Jackson has not been worthy of a second round pick as I suspected. No way he's on the level of Devin Thomas, Aaron Thomas, Rakeem Christmas or a host of others. Maybe been better than I originally thought but definitely not on the level of his second round peers.

7. Grant has been a worthy versatile first rounder that is going to be all over the board for the whole year. However, I'd defer to Mitchell as the best pick up at this point. He has been a pleasant surprise for MM. If he can float around a double-double the entire year, that would certainly help things. Boris the blade is definitely the worst pickup. He's terrible. Probably the worst of the 6th round. Definitely bad when you look at the last two picks of the 6th round that were taken immediately after him--Robinson and Auguste were both guys that could have went a lot earlier.

8. Nnoko has been very good early for Buzz. The best clemson player. I had a feeling it would be a very good pick up and it has been so far. Heckmann was also one of the better late round pick ups. Grayson Allen was another good late pick up. Jones and Rozier have both lived up to the hype. I thought they would. I still think they would have made it a little bit further in the draft but it's hard to argue with them. Damn good backcourt. No real bad picks by the buzz to be honest.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 11:50 PM by DieHardCards.)
11-20-2014 11:49 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(10-10-2014 11:01 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  Worst Pickup- Terry Rozier is a homer pick. I love the kid and I think that he will be a very good basketball player this year but I wouldn't have taken him with my first round selection. First and Second round selections are interchangeable here since Buzz is at the turn and Tyus Jones would be my other "bad" pickup.

(11-20-2014 11:49 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  Jones and Rozier have both lived up to the hype. I thought they would.
Actually, you thought Rozier was a homer pick and the "worst" pick among a slew of questionable picks. You also thought Jones was a bad pickup. That's the thing with message boards ... it's in writing Wink

#ballbuster
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2014 09:21 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
11-21-2014 09:21 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

For DHC...

[Image: 100_burn_cream_packets__64348.1405359724...80.jpg?c=2]
11-21-2014 11:00 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(10-12-2014 12:35 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  I think it's a big chance but I think your two guards will be just fine. They'll live up to the hype, imo.

(11-21-2014 09:21 AM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 11:01 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  Worst Pickup- Terry Rozier is a homer pick. I love the kid and I think that he will be a very good basketball player this year but I wouldn't have taken him with my first round selection. First and Second round selections are interchangeable here since Buzz is at the turn and Tyus Jones would be my other "bad" pickup.

(11-20-2014 11:49 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  Jones and Rozier have both lived up to the hype. I thought they would.
Actually, you thought Rozier was a homer pick and the "worst" pick among a slew of questionable picks. You also thought Jones was a bad pickup. That's the thing with message boards ... it's in writing Wink

#ballbuster

Can you not read 3 posts above, you fucking troll? Here I'll quote it for you.
11-21-2014 02:02 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(11-21-2014 02:02 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  
(10-12-2014 12:35 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  I think it's a big chance but I think your two guards will be just fine. They'll live up to the hype, imo.

#ballbuster

If you make 2 opposing predictions, one of them is bound to be right
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2014 03:41 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
11-21-2014 03:41 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Haha, a veritable Lou Holtz of prognostication.
11-21-2014 03:49 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(11-21-2014 03:41 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  

#ballbuster

You're a fucking idiot. This evaluation was based on the draft and not how players are going to turn out. Rozier is a homer pick. Buzz can always be counted on for that. And if you'll notice, "bad" is in quotations. Fuck off troll.

You too dick rider.
11-21-2014 04:14 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

J, put the full-court press on. I think we've got DHC on the edge of a Red Alert melt-down!
11-21-2014 04:32 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Nah, just tired of getting trolled and getting my words twisted.
11-21-2014 05:10 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

What words have been twisted? I've used exact quotes. This trolling stuff is in your imagination
11-21-2014 06:49 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Two opposing predictions? Show me where I said they were going to be bad picks. You can choose to ignore my statement on 10/12 that says exactly what my post last night says if you'd like. That's the only thing that is important. Rozier was a homer pick. Jones was a "bad" pick as in I think he would have made it back. Which is the context of this thread. I even used bad in quotations to emphasize that I didn't mean it was BAD. Bottom line is that my post on 10/12 says I think both of them will live up to the hype. My post last night said that both of them have lived up to the hype. No discrepancy.

Don't worry I'll wait until you show me where I said they were going to flop. The whole context of this thread is about getting players when they are the best available player. Not about how good the player is or is going to be. I thought Rozier and Jones were risky 8th and 9th picks. And I still say they were. The risks have paid dividends. There were much better proven options still on the board. If you want to try and twist that and say that I said they weren't going to be good, be my guest. I made it clear that I thought they were risks that would pay off when they lived up to their preseason hype.
11-21-2014 07:11 PM
needabuzz Offline
Enormous Member

(11-21-2014 04:14 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  
(11-21-2014 03:41 PM)J-Rye_UL Wrote:  

#ballbuster

You're a fucking idiot. This evaluation was based on the draft and not how players are going to turn out. Rozier is a homer pick. Buzz can always be counted on for that. And if you'll notice, "bad" is in quotations. Fuck off troll.

You too dick rider.
Wow

Not sure I agree with an evaluation based on a draft being different from how they turn out. To me an evaluation based on a draft being way off just simply means that the evaluation was way off.

I picked those two guys because I wanted them. I bought into the hype of both players. If that was a homer pick so be it.

As far as my team. I am not sure how it will end up but so far ok.
11-24-2014 09:21 PM