Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
(S7)Scouting your team - weigh in here!
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(S7)Scouting your team - weigh in here!
OK, we're getting pretty close to the end of the festivities. A few mroe picks and this thing is in the books. If you are honestly scouting your team, where are opponents going to attack you?

For the Empire, FT shooting is going to be the weak link. I do worry that i don't have a first scoring option anywhere in my current roster, but a lot of second bananas. Thrilled with my assist projections, particularly if Rozier becomes the playmaker I hope. Defense also projects very well with Brice Johnson's ability to be an all-conference defender and no one being a slouch in amassing steals and blocks. If I can get Johnson to just project his rebounding for the additional minutes and Tobey to become UVA's indisputed 5, we'll be OK there.

Like I expect many in the league this season feel, there is much up in the air as the 2014-2015 season kicks off.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2015 06:18 PM by HarveyGlass.)
10-09-2014 04:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

RE: Scouting your team - weigh in here!
After seven picks Coach Glass projects the Fuglys thusly...

Points - Average to below average. Depends on if Paige keeps filling it up and if Wayne can do his part. Weakest link.
Rebounds - Very good. Paige, Robinson, and Blackshear are all very good rebounders at +3rpg last year. Then you've got the frontcourt.
Assists - Good to very good. Paige and Robinson will pace us here, but Jackson is good too. Again, Wayne is an x-factor.
Defense - Excellent. Christmas and Nnoko are brick walls and all the guards are very good on D. Could be CEBE's best.
Free Throws - Excellent. Even taking in Nnoko's 58%, our starting six averages a .751 percentage. FT shooting a Fugly staple.

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
10-09-2014 04:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(10-09-2014 04:48 PM)HarveyGlass Wrote:  Defense - Excellent. Christmas and Nnoko are brick walls and all the guards are very good on D. Could be CEBE's best.

Agreed here. You're the team I've been trying to keep pace with. Doing ok, but need my guards to step up.
10-09-2014 05:35 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Considering I wanted half the guys on your roster, I like your squad. I also like what the Guardians are putting together. The Blanks would be up there imo if not for all the frosh. But I'm a sucker for upperclassmen.

Still a long way to go though with this deep talent pool and only 8 teams...

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 06:12 PM by HarveyGlass.)
10-09-2014 06:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tarheels15 Offline
The next Mike Rice (Coach of Kitty Cats)

Don't know about mine. I have a lot of freshmen. That isn't necessarily a bad thing with all of them rated as consensus top 10 players but hard to know where my team stands until 10 games or so in.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 06:20 PM by tarheels15.)
10-09-2014 06:19 PM
@critchelow Offline
Coach of Critch's Bitches

I like my team so far. I really don't have a great combined points avg or defense but I like my rebounds, assists and my .772 ft avg of my first 6. Guess we'll see.
10-09-2014 06:28 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

(10-09-2014 06:28 PM)@critchelow Wrote:  ...my .772 ft avg of my first 6.

Hot damn that's good! Confused

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 06:34 PM by HarveyGlass.)
10-09-2014 06:33 PM
@critchelow Offline

I got burnt last year on them. Russ his jr year was an 89% ft shooter or somewhere around that. Senior yr shot in the mid to upper 70% on the year.
10-09-2014 07:13 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(10-09-2014 07:13 PM)@critchelow Wrote:  I got burnt last year on them. Russ his jr year was an 89% ft shooter or somewhere around that. Senior yr shot in the mid to upper 70% on the year.

Yeah, that was unfortunate. He had a lot on his shoulders last year, wonder if he put more time into other parts of his game and the FT% suffered. Can't blame him. The change in his FT routine was probably ill-advised too.
10-09-2014 08:32 PM
@critchelow Offline

Yeah. Seemed like every week he was trying a new technique or motion with his free throws. The whole, falling to his left, was probably the strangest of the bunch.
10-09-2014 08:47 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(10-09-2014 08:47 PM)@critchelow Wrote:  The whole, falling to his left, was probably the strangest of the bunch.

And the most effective.
10-09-2014 09:04 PM
@critchelow Offline

Agreed. I still the the ugliest FT shot was Wayne Turners.
10-09-2014 09:06 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

I think West Texas hothot will be average-to-above average (but not elite) in assists, rebounds, defense & FTs. Best case scenario, we can be at or near the top in scoring but McClellan's role on a new team could be volatile and FSU might not need A. Thomas to score as much as last year, so that might be another average-to-above average stat category.

My top 4 should be consistent at one thing each week, which I like. Some guys have great stats at the end of the year but it can kill your team when they go on cold streaks between the hot weeks. Consistency is also really hard to predict, so I'm just optimistic at this point. Free agency should be fun.
10-09-2014 09:34 PM
nicklindy Offline
Coach of the Wheats

Points, Defense and Assists, I will be top three...Free throws and rebounds, average. But realistically, its hard to judge at all with all of the good freshmen "potential". I feel better about this team more than I have recently as I have more than 1 good player for once.....now lets see who gets hurt before the season starts.
10-09-2014 10:39 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

This year's FreeBallers squad looks to be well balanced on paper, but a lot will depend on players making the improvements I'm planning on.

Pat Connaughton is a know quantity. He's like 40 years old, is a professional baseball player, but you'd never look twice at him if he walked past you on the street. He's my jack of all trades that will get 37 minutes a night and stuff the stat sheet.

My frontcourt could be anywhere from below average to phenomenal. If Brice Johnson and Kennedy Meeks get 52+ minutes a night for UNC, this could be a great year. On the other hand, if they struggle to improve and get 40 minutes combined, I'll be looking to my Syracuse frontcourt for production - Chris McCullough and Tyler Roberson. One of the Cuse forwards will start and get 30 minutes per game. There's an outside shot that both of them do. If Cuse gets back to their up tempo style then there could be plenty of points and rebounds up for grabs. The bottom line, 0 of my 4 frontcourt players have the statistics to say they're a guaranteed top 10 player at their position. So I'm anxious to get the season rolling to see how they do.

The same can be said about my backcourt. The only known quantities are James Robinson and Demarcus Harrison, who both should see a larger role this year. That leaves Shedon McClellan, Kaleb Joseph, and Demetrius Jackson as the guys I'm counting on to make a splash. By all accounts, McClellan will be the go to guy for Miami. I'm going to need him to get to the charity stripe often to be competitive in that category. Joseph is penciled in as the starter for Boeheim this year. If his production is close to young Syracuse PG's of the past, he will be well worth that 5th round pick. Then there's Jackson. I expect Grant to get the lion's share of touches in the offense, but Mike Brey is sitting on a McDonald's All American primed for a breakout season in a newly available starting role.

In summary, I expect to have a good to great team in Points, Rebounds, and Defense. If my unproven guards pan out, the FreeBallers should be able to put up respectable assists and FT totals too. I think rebounding is the one area where the FreeBallers could be elite. If I put Connaughton and McClellan in the backcourt, that's a guaranteed 20+ rebounds per week from my guards.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2014 11:26 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
10-14-2014 11:16 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

I bet $20 in monopoly money Pat-C will have some type of injury/stress fracture before January.
10-14-2014 11:28 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(10-14-2014 11:28 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  I bet $20 in monopoly money Pat-C will have some type of injury/stress fracture before January.
That's one thing I considered when picking up Demetrius Jackson. Always nice to have another player that would benefit if some shit like that happened.
10-14-2014 11:29 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(10-14-2014 11:28 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  I bet $20 in monopoly money Pat-C will have some type of injury/stress fracture before January.

A pox on your family!
10-14-2014 11:56 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

hahaha, now I'm actually trolling.
10-14-2014 12:00 PM
Mike F Offline
Coach - Guardians of the Cassell

I am happy with my team overall. Should do well on 4 of the 5 stats. Unfortunately I started too late trying to pull up my FT percentage after picking Harrell in round 1. Has anyone succeeded in the this league by punting the FT percentage category and trying to win on the counting stats?
10-15-2014 09:25 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(10-15-2014 09:25 AM)Mike F Wrote:  I am happy with my team overall. Should do well on 4 of the 5 stats. Unfortunately I started too late trying to pull up my FT percentage after picking Harrell in round 1. Has anyone succeeded in the this league by punting the FT percentage category and trying to win on the counting stats?

I've tried. Hasn't gone real well since Dominique Jones took his 80%+ FT percentage and gobs of attempts.
10-15-2014 09:48 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(10-15-2014 09:25 AM)Mike F Wrote:  I am happy with my team overall. Should do well on 4 of the 5 stats. Unfortunately I started too late trying to pull up my FT percentage after picking Harrell in round 1. Has anyone succeeded in the this league by punting the FT percentage category and trying to win on the counting stats?
FT% isn't a great category to draft around, but it's often the difference maker come tournament time. My first year in the league I won the regular season with a poor shooting free throw team. Then got knocked out in the first round of the tournament.

I have your team as the best the newcomers. Should be near the top of the league in rebounds and assists. I'm a big fan of the Harrell/Meeks frontcourt
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2014 09:57 AM by J-Rye_UL.)
10-15-2014 09:57 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

I don't think I even looked at FT% when drafting the first year I played (2010-11; Season 3), so it was punted by ignorance. And in a 12-team, 9-player draft, I selected Eric Wallace in the 5th round, who was by that point injured & out for the year. Jesus Christ, that was some shameful shit.

Ended up a 5 seed but lost in the 2nd round of the CEBE Tourney:

[Image: GoRTNJI.png]
10-15-2014 11:35 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

And as you can see, one missed FT cost me the Final Four.
10-15-2014 11:38 AM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(10-15-2014 11:38 AM)ULismyhothot Wrote:  And as you can see, one missed FT cost me the Final Four.
It ended up that way with me and the Dominators in the opening round of 2013 too. Whoever won that game would go on to win the title.

[Image: 13round2g.png]
10-15-2014 12:30 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Look at that sweep of the Fugs. Scoreboard son!
10-15-2014 12:32 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Ugh, that was a rough Final Four in 2013 for the losers. Dragons Guard Shabazz Napier sat out a UConn game that week, which only inflated J-Rye's stats for Daniels & Boatright. My first 2 draft picks only played 1 game--Harrison suspension announced after lineups were final & Edwin/SHU had short sched week--Blue shit the bed, and my one-category Defense All-Star Obekpa only played one game. What a cluster.

[Image: ayAiGWL.png]
10-15-2014 12:57 PM
Deanfor3! Offline
Coach of the Dragons

Ahh the good ole days. Back when I had a #1 team. Please don't post anything from last year's season. Thanks Big Grin
10-15-2014 01:13 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(10-15-2014 01:13 PM)Deanfor3! Wrote:  Ahh the good ole days. Back when I had a #1 team. Please don't post anything from last year's season. Thanks Big Grin
I went back to look at the scores from the Final Four and Championship game that year. Not gonna lie, I might have gotten a slight chub.
10-15-2014 01:39 PM
Deanfor3! Offline
Coach of the Dragons

HAHA, you had one helluva squad last year. Hoping that's not the case this year...
10-15-2014 01:44 PM