Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Louisville Dining
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Louisville Dining
We need this thread stickied. A place where we can talk about some of our favorite places to eat and drink in and around the Ville. Different types of cuisine and suggestions. I'm pretty adventurous and I love trying new things.
09-08-2014 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

RE: Louisville Dining
My favorites:

* Simply Thai - that coconut curry dish *drool*
* Corbett's - everyone should try the tasting menu once... nice draft beer selection given the small bar
* Hillbilly Tea - pork & pone, great tea... if you can stand the neck beards waiting on you
* Village Anchor Pub - They have an amazing BLT&A and these awesome sweet potato fries with a marshmallow dipping sauce. Also do a good job with their draft selection.
09-08-2014 03:35 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

Mike Linnig's. Love that place.
Home Run Burgers (I think that is the name) over on campus. I eat there when I am up visiting our database designers.
09-08-2014 05:58 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

I'll get back to this when I get home but Simply Thai is fucking phenominal. The old one right across from nam nam cafe.
09-08-2014 08:36 PM
@critchelow Offline
Coach of Critch's Bitches

I can honestly say I've never had anything in Louisville besides the sushi place me and DHC went to last year.
09-08-2014 08:42 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Oh man. I know some places you'd love critch.
09-08-2014 08:52 PM
@critchelow Offline

I forgot to mention White Castle on Dixie. 4 stars out of 5 lol
09-08-2014 08:54 PM
@critchelow Offline

I still need to check out joes ok bayou.
09-08-2014 08:54 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

(09-08-2014 08:54 PM)@critchelow Wrote:  I forgot to mention White Castle on Dixie. 4 stars out of 5 lol

The one on the corner at Greenwood? I grew up right down the road from there.
09-08-2014 08:56 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

No the one out by the Snyder. Joes ok bayou is good stuff man. You'd love against the grain and FABD for sure and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
09-08-2014 09:18 PM
@critchelow Offline

What are we waiting for then DHC?
09-08-2014 09:19 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Good call on HRB Berea. If you're wasting your money on Five Guys, you're an idiot. Home Run blows them out of the park. No pun intended.
09-08-2014 09:37 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

I thought 5 guys was average at best.
09-08-2014 10:06 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

I have been wanting to try Hillbilly Tea since before it opened even. Me and my ex were supposed to go there. She went there after we broke up and she said that she didn't know if I'd think too much of it but she liked it okay. I'm still going to get in there one day. I'm a huge fan of sweet tea. She's more into upscale dining like Proof on Main, Mayan Cafe, Seviche, etc. But I like a little less flash. I find that sometimes those dishes try too hard for me and the portions aren't what I expect out of a $25 entree. I'm a big dude. I do enjoy fine dining and I'm very eclectic.

On another note, I do a lot of cooking myself. My grandpa was a chef and a damn good one. We did a lot of catering together before he passed away a few years back. That was kind of our thing. He passed it down to me. Now I'm responsible for cooking for all holidays and family gatherings. But to be honest, I love it. I truly enjoy cooking. I can pretty much do it all and I'd like to use this thread to post some of the things I cook as well. I do some cooking blogging from time to time as Critch can attest. I do a lot of smoking. I'm an animal with a smoker. Critch asked for some help with smoking ribs earlier this summer and I wrote a really detailed step by step blog with pictures and laid it all out for him and had good feedback from several people. I have a couple more in the works soon now that it's starting to cool back down some. Whole chickens, pork tenderloins, briskets, boston butts (pulled pork) pork spare ribs/baby backs are some of my specialties. I also make wine and grain liquor. And process wild game when I feel like it. Why? Because a fucking country boy can survive.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 12:11 AM by DieHardCards.)
09-09-2014 12:09 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

I'll try to organize this a bit. I like most all ethnic food and good ole pub food and burgers as well. Smokehouses are nice too though I haven't found one that is better than what I can do at home. Here's a list of some good places to check out if you're wanting to mix it up from where you usually go. Louisville is loaded with some of the best food in the country. It's awesome. I suggest an app called urban spoon. We have a huge luxury that the city is covered up in good food and you don't have to travel across town for something, chances are something outstanding is a stone's throw. Has to be one of the best burger and pizza towns there is...

Sushi/hibachi
-
-Sim Sushi & Steak in Elizabethtown is amazing. I know none of you are going to pass two dozen sushi places in Louisville to ever try this but this place is legit.
-Hiko-A-Mon in Lyndon is great. Nice atmosphere. Upscale and a little dressy. Great sushi.
-Sake Blue on Bardstown Road in fern creek is another one of my favorites.
-Wasabiya on Bardstown Road in the highlands. Really good as well.
-Kansai in clarksville, in and Elizabethtown. Really good sushi and hibachi and some interesting sides. A couple times I've gotten a baby octopus salad and it's actually a lot better than it sounds. Considering it's a salad with about a half dozen whole baby octopussys.
Please don't say Sapparo's. That place is the most talked up place in Louisville and although I've only been once, it was the worst sushi experience food-wise I've ever had. On the other hand I sat back to back with Peyton Siva and his now wife and had a nice long chat with him after we both paid for our dinners. I proceeded to tell him as a freshman that he would go down as one of the greatest PG's in Louisville history. I'm a man of my word.Cool

Seafood-
-Mike Linnigs speaks for itself. I'm sure everyone has been there. If you have not, do yourself a favor tomorrow. Best fried seafood I've ever had from here to the florida keys. A seafood platter is about $25 but will feed two people with leftovers. They do have a weird setup where you order from a podium and they call your name and you go pick your food up and go back to your table. It wasn't always like that or maybe it's only like that sometimes. I don't know.
-Joe's Crab shack actually isn't bad for a chain. Their seafood platter is pretty solid really. They have these things called fireballs or something like that have I think scallops, cheese, jalapeno and then are breaded and fried and their delicious.
-Kingfish is a place I haven't been since I was a kid but I remember it being really good. Don't know which direction it has went since then.
I've heard good things about a couple other places in Louisville but my experience is limited. Which is a shame. I love seafood. I could live off of it.

Smokehouses
-
-Frankfort Avenue Beer Depot (F.A.B.D) is a pretty good smokehouse. Good barbecue and fair priced. There were two locations. I went to the one on bardstown road, which doesn't make much sense. lol. I'm sure the original on Frankfort Ave is better. Not bad at all. I don't remember a huge beer selection but the one I went to was kind of a small hole in the wall type place. That location is now closed.
-Against the Grain Brewery and Smokehouse down on main is worth a shot! They have 6 custom brews that all have a unique flavor and you can get the six 4oz sampler for $7. That's 3.50/beer basically, not bad at all for a craft beer. There was one that I got at room temperature. I didn't like that one. lol. I asked the waitress about it and she said that it wasn't supposed to be at room temperature..so I'm sure that one would have been good as well. They have a smoke beer that is excellent. Really unique flavor. Tastes like pulled pork liquified lol. Their nachos are the shit. Kettle chips topped with pulled pork, jalapenos and feta cheese. Hell, I'd consider getting them as an entree. I got Brisket which was tender, flavorful and juicy with a side of new potato salad and kale greens. The potato salad was the best I ever had not put together by my mom or grandma. They have big tv's too and a bar. Serious contender for a meet up sometime.
-Famous Dave's in Clarksville is another good chain place. They have a myriad of different smoked entrees with all different kinds of sauces and some really great unique sides. A solid smokehouse option if you want to go mainstream. Been a couple times and I'd go back.

Burgers!-
-Mussel and Burger bar is a nice place. The line on a weekend is discouraging. It was like an hour wait to be seated and standing room only around the bar. Those are the down sides. Maybe some of the newness has worn off since I went. They have a decent beer selection and some nice mixed drinks including "The Cardinal". As a starter we got an order of greek mussels that were fabulous. They were cooking in a cream sauce and served with black olives and feta cheese. Really nice pairing. I just had a local beef burger topped with local veggies. Nothing fancy but it was good. The mussels were worth going back. Pretty much all of the burgers were chef recommendation pairings.
-Game is my favorite place in Louisville right now. As you all know, I'm a big outdoorsman and hunting a huge passion of mine. It's really nice to have access to a place that serves such a wide variety of game meat. You can have Bison, Elk, Antelope, Wild Boar, Kangaroo, etc. And all in burger or meatball form as an appetizer. Only downfall is that you're pretty much limited to burgers as an entree. But they're fucking damn good burgers. They too have the chef recommendation burgers for pairing each meat. But a build your own section on the back that you can customize literally top to bottom. About 6 different bun types, 8+ cheeses, wild game of your choice, fresh or grilled veggie toppings and unique flavorful sauces. Simply amazing restaurant. Need a better reason? I'll try to attach a picture of the Beer selection. The menu is very well designed and the wait staff is friendly and helpful. You're not going to order some obscure craft brew with a long name and it be a complete shot in the dark as to what you should expect. I was as impressed with the beer menu as the food menu. Hopefully everyone adopts this style. I'm a bit of a beer snob/connoisseur myself. I had a Stillwater as Follows Belgian style beer that was 9% alcohol and smooth as silk. Two of them and I was feeling nice. I think I decided to go with the elk burger with Brie Cheese on a pretzel bun with fresh greens and onions and grilled mushrooms topped with a jalapeno ranch drizzled on top. Fabulous. I tried a little of the kangaroo burger and I ordered a wild boar meatball for all of us to get a taste. All of it was exceptional. This place is a MUST GO.
-Five Guys burgers and fries isn't bad. From what I knew they pretty much invented the build your own burger concept and I built a good very filling burger but it wasn't too special. I'd go there again. Their fries were a little over seasoned. Then again, I'm not big on salt. Not bad in a pinch.
-BBC is good stuff. Great beer selection and offers up some good burgers. I got a nice bison burger from there that hit the spot. I'd stop in without hesitation.

Odds and Ends (Cause I gotta wrap this up sometime!)-
-Havana Rumba is cuban food that you'd love. Highly suggest this place. Excellent food. Good service. Started out with Papas Rellenas and they were delicious. Then I ordered a Churrasco chicken sandwich and my friend got the Havana Rumba. They were both big portions and very flavorful. I'll definitely be going back. The only downside was that the "craft beer" selection was very weak and a little pricey for beer you can find anywhere. Going back soon.
-Simply Thai. Fucking outstanding. I didn't know I like Thai Food until I went here. Go to the one over by Trinity. The Thai Pepper or The Wasabi Dumplings are excellent ways to start off any meal. I've tried bites of other good things on the menu but I'm stuck on Pad Thai Chicken heat level 3/5. Amazing starter thai dish. Going to try some curry one day soon. May encounter a wait on the weekend. It's worth it. Grab a beer and relax.
-P.F. Changs is another solid chain. I'm not a huge chain guy but I like this one. Their lettuce wrap appetizers are amazing as is the calimari and spring rolls. Of course your entrees are going to be head an shoulders above a chinese buffet. Servings are big. It's best if you can get a few people together and orchestrate some food swapping.
-Garage Bar...I think on market. It was an old service station that they turned into a restaurant/bar. Good pizza. Not your traditional chain style pizza, if that's what you're looking for. Rolled Oysters were terrific and I had never liked them before in my life. Excellent beer. Very neat enviroment. However, overpriced and under portioned. $16 for a 12" pizza cut into 6 slices. Also be prepared to pay $6.50-$7 for a draft beer. It was nearly $60 for three of us after 2 pizzas, 2 drafts and an oyster appetizer and to be honest I wouldn't say we were all full. I'd go back to give it another shot. Niche place. Made Andrew Zimmerns bizarre foods america show.
-Old Spaghetti Factory neat the YUM has decent food at a decent price. Very inexpensive relative to the area. Never had an entree that wasn't good. Maybe not go home and rave about it good but a pretty nice atmosphere too. Went here for the first time on my 18th birthday before heading to Deja Vu. Holds a special place in my heart. Wink
-Cheesecake factory is another solid chain. Probably has better pasta dishes than OSF but has a higher ticket price as well. I'd go if I was in the area.
-Bazo's Fresh Mexican grill are the motherfuckers that invented what Moe's, chipotle and Qdoba is getting stupid rich off of nowadays. They still make a mean burrito. Support your local shop. I was eating here in '04 years before I had even heard of qdoba, it was a novelty at the time.
-Last but not least...Joe's OK Bayou. I have an affinity for cajun cuisine. I love it. Love their spice. Love everything about it. The only place I know in Louisville that serves gator right now that I know of. If you've never had fried gator tail, you're doing yourself an injustice. They make a nice jumbalaya, gumbo and etouffe. Crawfish, gator, Catfish whatever your cajun heart desires. I always get the gator tail with a side of crawfish etoufee (basically a gravy made from crawfish over white rice) and a little jumbalaya.

I'm sure I'm leaving some out but this'll do for now. Tomorrow I'm going to come at you guys with my wish list and see what your thoughts are on places that you've tried that I want to go to.

-
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 01:54 AM by DieHardCards.)
09-09-2014 01:52 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(09-09-2014 12:09 AM)DieHardCards Wrote:  On another note, I do a lot of cooking myself. My grandpa was a chef and a damn good one. We did a lot of catering together before he passed away a few years back. That was kind of our thing. He passed it down to me. Now I'm responsible for cooking for all holidays and family gatherings. But to be honest, I love it. I truly enjoy cooking. I can pretty much do it all and I'd like to use this thread to post some of the things I cook as well. I do some cooking blogging from time to time as Critch can attest. I do a lot of smoking. I'm an animal with a smoker. Critch asked for some help with smoking ribs earlier this summer and I wrote a really detailed step by step blog with pictures and laid it all out for him and had good feedback from several people. I have a couple more in the works soon now that it's starting to cool back down some. Whole chickens, pork tenderloins, briskets, boston butts (pulled pork) pork spare ribs/baby backs are some of my specialties. I also make wine and grain liquor. And process wild game when I feel like it. Why? Because a fucking country boy can survive.

New proposal. CEBE game watch party at DHC's house.
09-09-2014 08:54 AM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Smokehouses

FABD is good and never been to Against the Grain. I used to love Jucy's, but it doesn't agree with me anymore. I LOVE barbecue, but can't seem to find a good rack of ribs in this city. Dry rub and a good smoker is all you need, people! Stop drowning the meat in the bastardized ketchup you call bar-b-q sauce.
09-09-2014 09:45 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Man if you have a smoker I can teach you how to make ribs that will make you never order them from a restaurant again. lol
09-09-2014 01:16 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Places I enjoy in the area, and some that were mentioned that I don't. No order.

Faves:

Guac a Mole - good variety and their fish specials are excellent. Two sopes for $10 is a steal, usually take one home.
Mayan Cafe - never had anything that wasn't really good.
Silver Dollar - bar food at it's finest. Steer clear of the bourbon list as it's a complete rip off. Daily pour for $3 is a deal.
Corbett's - love it, type of restaurant I grew up on. Classic stuff.
Decca - fun, great service and some really great dishes, some misses.
Brasserie Provence - very good French with fair prices.
Le Relais - tops. Occasional miss but the homeruns make up for it. If you are going for a special occasion call ahead and ask if they will get you a veal chop. Tres magnifique.
Asiatique - for years this was the go to for the family when it was in St. Matthews. Still very good and has a new small plate menu. Asiarita is a great cocktail.
Loop 22 - only had brunch, damn good. Saw where they are changing their menu also.
Game - yum
Hammerheads - yum
Peking City Bistro - I like it a lot.
Simply Thai - real good.
Nam Nam Cafe - real good. ^^across the street

Sorry to see closed.
Relish
Soora

Not so great
Havana Rhumba - not nearly as good as it used to be. Mojito's is not as good as it used to be either.
Mike Linnig's - jumped the shark 5+ years ago.
Village Anchor - love the spot, too many misses.

Check out the brisket at River Rd. Q
09-09-2014 01:43 PM
Junkman Offline
My milkshake is better than yours...

My House - Home of the biggest and fatest steaks, burgers and brats that you will ever wrap your lips around. BYOV - bring your own vegetables. Big Grin

[Image: juicy_brats_burgers.jpg]

[Image: juicy_filet.jpg]

Not to mention my club sandwiches would choke Dagwood.

[Image: junky_club.jpg]
09-13-2014 10:45 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

OK, so I was looking at the wine list for Proof and WHAT THE FUCK??? There are 2 Ca Cabs on the list UNDER $100. Bullshit. I don't mind 3X the cost on high end wines but don't charge me $65 for a wine you pay $18 for. The amazing thing is their dinner menu is quite reasonable.

http://www.21cmuseumhotels.com/proofonma...1.4.13.pdf

Decca it is for my birthday.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2014 10:37 PM by Farmdude.)
09-19-2014 03:32 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Some good off-season talk could be had here. I know we've covered lots of places but I'm going to double-back and post a list of my must-try places.

Like:
Against the Grain Brewery and Smokehouse
Buca Di Beppo
Cumberland Brews
Frankfort Ave. Beer Depot
Game
Village Anchor
Havana Rumba
Hiko-a-Mon
Joe's OK Bayou
Mike Linnig's
Mussel and burger bar
Old Spaghetti Factory
PF Chang's Chinese Bistro
Sake Blue
Simply Thai (Wallace Ave., near trinity)
Wasabiya

Didn't like:
Garage Bar (good home brew, pizza was okay but way overpriced, rolled oysters were excellent. You could easily spend $70 for two with two beers sans tip. Have a hard time justifying that for an overcrowded pizza pub)
Simply Thai (new location. It was night and day from Wallace avenue, huge descreptancy)

Wish list:
Asiatique
Avalon
Baxter Station Bar and Grill
Bonefish Grill
Caviar
Come Back Inn
Mitchell's Fish Market
Oriental House
Porcini
Puerto Vallarta
Roux
Sante Fe Grill
Seviche
Shah's Mongolian Grill
Vietnam Kitchen
W.W. Cousins
Sala Thai
Hillbilly Tea
La Colombiana
NamNam Cafe
Charim Korean

I'm sure some of you have been to my wish list places. Feedback?
04-29-2015 11:52 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Oh yeah Village Anchor brunch on Sunday's is the shit. Good after a long night. I think they run lunch until two. Oh and $1 Mimosas.
04-29-2015 11:53 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Too much typing to discuss but 2 that stand out.

Asiatique - love

Village Anchor - not sure I've had anything edible there and been way too many times.

ATG and FABD - 1+
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 12:09 PM by Farmdude.)
04-29-2015 12:09 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Really want asiatique. Heard nothing but good things.

You didn't like village anchor? Have you had the French toast, breakfast burrito or meatloaf sandwich?

Don't know if any of you are into creole but I really want to try roux.
04-29-2015 12:16 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

I find most things at VA underseasoned and over carbed. Way too much bread on a sandwich compared to the contents.
04-29-2015 12:33 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

My favorite eating places are out of the way and hole in the wall type places. I love to find a bar with great food, or a tiny little place in a neighborhood. I know Louisville has them because my friends take me to them when I am up there. I never remember the names though.
04-29-2015 03:39 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

I'm a big fan of FABD and Havana Rumba from the Likes List.

From the Wish List, Come Back Inn and Santa Fe are two of my favorite places in the city.

I eat Santa Fe probably once every two weeks at least. Just ate it Sunday. I pretty much just stick to the Mexican Burritos, but their Tortas and Quesadillas are really good. Just a dive with no ambiance or anything, we usually just get it to go anyway. They used to be dirt cheap but they've raised prices a couple times in the past few years. Now they're just kinda cheap. Half the time they give me a free can of nectar when I pick up my order. I thought I was special until I saw them do it to some other people at different times. So you may get lucky.

Come Back Inn is decent-priced Italian. Not a big menu but everything is done very well. Entrees are in the 10-15 range but portions are large and we almost always take a meal's worth home. The place is small but never 'holy hell' crowded, just always a nice crowd. I love the ambiance, it's dark, loud, friendly and a great date place. Weirdly, the must-get menu item is the Italian Beef "sandwich", it's massive and amazing, but everything I've had is great. Every night they have an appetizer special, a dinner special, and a salad special.
Don't get suckered and go to Hammerheads about 100 feet down the block. I've eaten there and it was fine but nothing special imo. Just another fashion restaurant.

F.A.B.D. is my favorite bar-b-que in the area. I never get beef brisket anywhere but their's is the best I've ever had anywhere. It's my go-to. They just added a large polish sausage that's wrapped in bacon and smoked to the menu and it was pretty darn good. I'm always amazed by how good their sides are. Green beans, potato salad, etc.

Havana Rumba is Cuban food, nuff said. If it's Cuban, Mexican, or anywhere in the ballpark I love it.

Some of my other favorites...

I've never been impressed with anything else on the menu but the Chicken and Waffle Sandwich at Four Pegs on Goss is some hell yeah in a basket.

There's a semi-new authentic Mexican place that opened a block away from Santa Fe about a year ago called El Molcajete that's still a hidden gem imo. They're on the same street as Santa Fe but on 4th street as opposed to 3rd. They're usually full of latinos or college students or both. Only place I've seen lately that you can get real Sopes and Gorditas. They have a warm table salsa that's great. If you're into it they also have some exotic meats like tongue, brain, and tripe. You can also buy 40s of Mexican beer to have with your meal. I recommend it.

There used to be a place called That Place, on Goss that had a great Sunday brunch buffet but they've moved. Now they're a couple blocks from my house at Oak and Garvin Gate(5th). It's $13 for all you can eat and they do a nice Hot Brown Casserole. There's a ton of good food. Types of pancakes, grits, potatoes, omelet bar, Nord's donuts, fruits, soups, bacon, sausage, and much more. I recommend sitting in the back of the restaurant because they always have bad loud acoustic music blaring into the front room.

Another great breakfast spot is The Cafe, which is off Broadway almost to Baxter. Their french toast is among my top3 ever and I looooove french toast.

The atmosphere of both places is thick with rich, white, east enders slumming it in "bad" parts of town. I mean thick. Occasionally you'll actually trip over all the 'class' and grand self-importance. Food's good though.

Favorite Pizza Joints
Can't go wrong with Impellizzari's, Bearno's, or Wick's. All Louisville-style pizza chains, all good.
I'm also partial to Bonnie and Clyde's down Dixie. Love their pies.
Hikes Point Pizza Place is another out of the way pizza that you have to try.

I just asked my wife for some favorites and she ran off everything posted here and nothing else. I'll let you know if I think of more. Because there's more.

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 09:57 PM by HarveyGlass.)
04-29-2015 03:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

We did Havana Rumba over the holidays this past December and it was really good. Wild Eggs is a good spot for brunch if you ever have to visit someone at Norton's hospital, lol. Wagner's Pharmacy during Spring or Fall meets at Churchill is good for people watching but not really a foodie spot.

If you dig southern food, you should add Momma's Mustard, Pickles and BBQ to your list. Widow's Walk ice cream just across the bridge is a good dessert spot at dusk if you want to make out with a young coed in front of the Louisville skyline. You have to provide the coed in most cases.

In the last 3 years or so, we've had good experiences at Blind Pig (but I think it's closed now), Mayan Cafe for lunch, Brown hotel (GD tourist), and pretty much every spot in Bardstown now that my parents moved out there.
04-29-2015 06:52 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

That is beautiful stuff, Harv! Thanks for the insight. Looks like I'm going to be hitting Santa Fe and the place down the street very soon. We dig Mexican a lot. Anybody have any good unknown seafood places? I really want to try the catfish at hillbilly tea as that's one of my specialties. Also, I love BBQ and I smoke everything under the sun so I'm always down for that too.
04-29-2015 08:01 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

As a matter of fact, I think tomorrow I'll smoke a wild turkey breast stuffed with Monterey Jack and jalapeƱo and wrapped in bacon. Harvested about 3 hours ago. Smile

Attached File(s) Image(s)

04-29-2015 08:09 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

And if you like French Toast, you have to try village anchor's FT.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

04-29-2015 08:11 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Mayan Cafe.

I have never seen as many turkeys in my life. My wife asked me why and I gave her some bullshit answer. I said maybe their predators were in a down cycle. Do you find their population growing, if so why.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 10:14 PM by Farmdude.)
04-29-2015 10:10 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Check's
04-29-2015 10:41 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

(04-29-2015 10:10 PM)Farmdude Wrote:  Mayan Cafe.

I have never seen as many turkeys in my life. My wife asked me why and I gave her some bullshit answer. I said maybe their predators were in a down cycle. Do you find their population growing, if so why.

Turkey populations are definitely growing. They fluctuate some. Depending on the hatch which rides on no freezes and a relatively dry spring. Which means that we'll have a rough year in 2 years with freezing temps recently and wettest April in history. Makes it rough on ground nesting birds. Winter will get a few birds but they have the best eyesight in North America and are very alert so they don't have a ton of casualties after hatch. Crows, coons, skunks and others are rough on nests if they find them. If it's early enough, they'll re-nest. We brought them back from nothing 30 years ago. They're doing well. If you have a flock of animals that you need reduced, get in touch with me. Lol. Very adaptive feeders also. Turkey today had undigested corn, acorn, wheat, clover and bugs in his craw. Turkeys will fly when spooked, not an easy meal and hatch 12-18 eggs. Humans are probably their biggest predator and they're the hardest animal to kill in the state, IMO. Best answer I can give for someone that isn't yet a wildlife biologist.
04-29-2015 11:10 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

It will do for me, thanks.
04-30-2015 07:47 AM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Well I will start with the NULU to Yum area and up 4th. I have never been in 4th St live and have no plans to do so. I won't mention price unless I think food isn't up to the price. The pricier the harsher I am. I have not eaten at Hillbilly Tea yet, hear good things.

Harvest. Great food, service and atmosphere and innovative cocktails if you like that. Nice Ky flair. I would like to see more aps on the menu.

Mayan Cafe. Love the place. Somewhat light fare with a lot of veggies but very good and you won't go hungry. Very fairly priced wine list which I appreciate.

Rye. Very hit and miss. Lots of small plates which I like a lot. I took 7 to dinner there last Friday and had some serious service issues. CHOPPED.

Decca. I like Decca a lot. The food is very good and if you have any problems they will take care of it without having to worry that your server or chef spit on your plate. Cool place, good variety of choices, fun servers as the place doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. Affordable wine list.

Garage Bar. Seriously? Love the look of the place but not for me.

Wiltshire On Market. LOVE IT. Funky little room, with funky staff and funky clients. Excellent food with a nice variety for a small menu. Fairly priced wine.

Ghyslain. Good place if you want a quick kind of meal or you have a sweet tooth. Not for me though.

Wild Rita's. Great for a margarita and chips, that's it.

Doc Crow's. Pretty good. That said I don't think any of the other Yum area restaurants are better than decent except:

MilkWood. Every time I eat there I want to not like it but it is very good. Lot's of meat, great beer list. Love the cheap house wine. If you are coming to a game good chance you will get a seat easily unless Actor's is about to start.

Saffron's. No atmosphere Persian food. Excellent lamb dishes.

Jeff Ruby's. Just can't get excited about a steakhouse, I like Z's better.

Z's. Better than ^. Nothing exciting but good solid food. If someone else is picking up the tab suggest it.

Proof. I haven't eaten there since the new chef. Very very good. Innovative yet solid. I will not eat dinner there as the wine list is fucking obscene. I'm OK with really gouging on the high end wines, that's for suckers and show offs but goddammit a wine that would be $35 ANYWHERE else may be on their list at $55-70. Well fuck you, not me. That said I take my mom to lunch there a couple of times a year before a doctor's appointment as there food is really really good.

English Grill at the Brown. If you feel like fancying up and want to get in touch with your inner Gatsby this is the place. Have a drink or three in the unrivaled (in Louisville) Lobby Bar. Dinner is always very good with a classic menu.
04-30-2015 01:47 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Hillbilly Tea is outstanding. Pork and pone is on my Top 5 Louisville dishes.
04-30-2015 05:52 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

the lobby bar in the Brown looks like a place where they still let you smoke cigars indoors; first spot I ever tasted Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, too, which then became one of my favorites.
04-30-2015 06:23 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

The Goat just opened Saturday. I was checking it out and it look delicious. Told Sam and Jess we need to hit it soon and they were there for the grand opening. Pissed. Lol.

Also has anyone had Momma's Mustard, pickles & BBQ? Heard lots of good things. Just saw a brisket grilled cheese with hot sauce and now it's a done deal.
05-17-2015 08:17 PM