Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
(S7)Season 7 Sign-Ups!!
Mike F Offline
Coach - Guardians of the Cassell

RE: Season 7 Sign-Ups!!
With 15 teams you could match the ACC tourney layout with some byes.

ACC Tourney Brackets for 2015
09-14-2014 02:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

I think we could still run just one league with 15 teams. Last year we had a 1:1 ratio of fantasy teams to AAC teams and it worked well.
09-14-2014 03:12 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Personally I hope we get a couple more and split into two.
09-14-2014 03:23 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Teams signed up so far...

Stud Fuglys
Diehard's Dominators
Dejuan Wheats
Deano's Dragons
West Texas hothot
Premature Shooters
FreeBallers
Diggler's Dozen
Medium Maintenance
Lindy's Empire
Shooting Blanks
Queen Ann's Revenge
True Brewin'
Guardians of the Cassell
Needabuzz

That's 15 teams and time is running out. I'm going to close sign-ups this weekend so get in quick. It's possible that 16 will be the cutoff(though maybe not) and it's first come first served...

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
09-15-2014 08:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

With the weekend fast approaching, what's the plan? One big 15 team league? If we get 16 before the weekend is the plan to go to two 8-team leagues? I like that idea because of the abundance of talent that would be at our disposal. But also because it would be neat to have two conferences for the first time. With fun ooc matchups. And orfer fun ideas that we could come up with. We could either put the vets in one and the noobs in another to ease their transition to the league or we could balance it out with 4 vets and 4 noobs in each conference which would be interesting too.

Looks like we have more veteran programs than I thought so we could go by years in the league. We have a solid group of veteran programs that have been at this for a while. I think Critch and JD are our two newest vet programs.
09-18-2014 03:49 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

I know Harv will most likely stick with a big monster conference but it's 5am and I'm bored and can't sleep. So I'm gonna do a little sorting for fun.

Hardcore Mode (easy on the noobs):

Atlantic:
Stud Fugly's
Lindy's Empire
Deano's Dragons
Dejuan Wheats
Diehard's Dominators
Freeballers
West Texas HotHot
Needabuzz

Coastal:
Shooting Blanks
Diggler's Dozen
Medium Maintenance
Queen Ann's Revenge
True Brewin'
Guardians of the Cassell
Premature Shooters
[To be named]

OR

Balanced (Probably how it should be):

Atlantic:
Freeballers
Stud Fugly's
Needabuzz
Dejuan Wheats
Diggler's Dozen
Queen Ann's Revenge
Shooting Blanks
[To be named]

Coastal:
Lindy's Empire
Diehard's Dominators
Deano's Dragons
West Texas HotHot
Premature Shooters
Medium Maintenance
True Brewin'
Guardians of the Cassell

To be as fair as possible, we could seed all of the teams that have competed as top to bottom as programs to ensure that we aren't stacking the consensus top 3 potential programs in one conference. Then we could do a live draw to separate the noobs.
09-18-2014 04:05 AM
Mike F Offline

As an expansion member, I like the idea of 2 divisions in order to get acclimated. With 1 division, the waiver wire will be so slim that there will be no recovery from a bad draft or a bad injury. That is a recipe for having a few owners lose interest fast - not a good mix.

In terms of the divisions, it makes sense to me to split the top teams into the two divisions so both divisions have an equal mix of expansion teams and vets.

Related to the Division split (if indeed that is what is decided - I will let the vets decide), three questions:

1. I assume that the split would have a full ACC player list for each Division resulting in players owned twice. I assume there would be no trades or similar between Divisions.
2. Would the Divisions be operated completely separately or not. For instance would there be crossover games during the regular season like the NFL or MLB?
3. With divisions how does the tourney work? Would each division have it's own conference tourney with the final week being between the two winners or would the field of 16 be mixed up based on final record, total points, or some other method?

Of course, you never know the final results of splitting divisions. We could go the route of ACC football and try to create a super division by adding Louisville to the Florida State/Clemson Atlantic Division only to have the worst team in the "Anyone Can Win" Coastal Division beat the newcomer. But then UVA could never beat mighty Lousiville, could they?

(It is rare I get to smack talk two Tech rivals in the same sentence. Back when I was at school, VT and Louisville had some great Metro Conference basketball games - lots of passion although the Cards always found a way to win with Denny Crum whining on the sidelines. Go Hokies!)
09-18-2014 07:35 AM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

(09-18-2014 07:35 AM)Mike F Wrote:  Related to the Division split (if indeed that is what is decided - I will let the vets decide), three questions:

1. I assume that the split would have a full ACC player list for each Division resulting in players owned twice. I assume there would be no trades or similar between Divisions.
2. Would the Divisions be operated completely separately or not. For instance would there be crossover games during the regular season like the NFL or MLB?
3. With divisions how does the tourney work? Would each division have it's own conference tourney with the final week being between the two winners or would the field of 16 be mixed up based on final record, total points, or some other method?

I think I'd like to have two conferences. But I want one more team to make it 8 each.

1. That is correct. Each league would have its own simultaneous draft, Weeks, trades, stats, etc. No trades between conferences.

2. I would like to mix in some 'non-conference' games for everybody but that's pretty much the only interaction between them. Other than regular posting, i.e. trash talking, conversations, and the like.

3. There would still be just one big tourney, just like the real Big Dance. I'd probably seed it by overall records.

Loved watching Bimbo Coles and Dell Curry. Two great college basketball players. Glad to have a few Metro rivalries still around. Smile

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2014 08:14 AM by HarveyGlass.)
09-18-2014 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Oh this guy wants to make friends quickly. Welcome aboard, Mike. Lol. I feel like you're getting acclimated quite well.
09-18-2014 01:00 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Theoretically speaking, are we sure about the big tourney? I envision a lot of situations where two teams wind up head-to-head and share common players in their starting 6. Would be a bit anti-climactic for a tourney match-up to come down to the bottom 4 players because both title game teams have Montrezl Harrell on their roster.
09-18-2014 04:07 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Better have some depth then. Big Grin
And with only 8 teams per conference there should be some pretty darn good depth.

09-18-2014 04:30 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Sign-ups are open until Sunday! Last day to get in the league is Sunday!

09-18-2014 05:58 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

We still have 15 teams, correct? If we don't get 16, will we stay with the 1 league format?
09-19-2014 07:51 AM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Idk. Tough call.

09-19-2014 07:52 AM
@critchelow Offline
Coach of Critch's Bitches

If it ends at 15, Harv could just ban J-Rye again and we could have two 7 team leagues.
09-19-2014 04:10 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Lol! Power moves son.
09-19-2014 04:58 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

If our ACC brethren don't start checking in more often, we may not actually have 15.
09-19-2014 07:53 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Mike F will be here and me and that guy are going to lock up in a new rivalry game.
09-19-2014 09:50 PM
needabuzz Offline
Enormous Member

I have someone thst will join to make it 16.
09-20-2014 11:53 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Bring em on buzz.
09-20-2014 12:52 PM
needabuzz Offline
Enormous Member

I will get him on here later today or tomorrow.
09-20-2014 01:35 PM
Mike F Offline

(09-19-2014 09:50 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  Mike F will be here and me and that guy are going to lock up in a new rivalry game.

Well the Hokies start out 0-1 in ACC play losing to the Ramblin' Wreck of Georgia Tech. Second week in a row the game is tied and our defense decides to take a rest in the final 2 minutes. Of course, the offense having 3 interceptions and 6(!) penalties for 12 men on the field did not help either.

Does Louisville play Georgia Tech this year? If so, have the Cards played against a team recently that features the triple option attack? It always seem to cause problems for defensive coordinators. It also can make for a very boring and frustrating game.

Another question - Why is Louisville playing Florida International away from home? We all play some cupcakes (ours was William & Mary this year), but it is normally to pad the home schedule. Is it some kind of rivalry or special game or just a 2 for 1 or similar deal? Good luck Cards. After all, Syracuse losing to the traitor Maryland is embarrassing enough this weekend for the ACC.
09-20-2014 03:17 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(09-20-2014 03:17 PM)Mike F Wrote:  
(09-19-2014 09:50 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  Mike F will be here and me and that guy are going to lock up in a new rivalry game.

Well the Hokies start out 0-1 in ACC play losing to the Ramblin' Wreck of Georgia Tech. Second week in a row the game is tied and our defense decides to take a rest in the final 2 minutes. Of course, the offense having 3 interceptions and 6(!) penalties for 12 men on the field did not help either.

Does Louisville play Georgia Tech this year? If so, have the Cards played against a team recently that features the triple option attack? It always seem to cause problems for defensive coordinators. It also can make for a very boring and frustrating game.

Another question - Why is Louisville playing Florida International away from home? We all play some cupcakes (ours was William & Mary this year), but it is normally to pad the home schedule. Is it some kind of rivalry or special game or just a 2 for 1 or similar deal? Good luck Cards. After all, Syracuse losing to the traitor Maryland is embarrassing enough this weekend for the ACC.
Charlie Strong wanted to play a few games down in Florida because that's where his recruiting stomping ground was. With Miami and FSU on the schedule now I doubt we'll renew that contract with FIU
09-20-2014 09:25 PM
tarheels15 Offline
The next Mike Rice (Coach of Kitty Cats)

I'm here, checking in every 2-3 days.
09-21-2014 09:26 AM
justcates Offline
Coach of True Brewin'

I haven't posted much but I keep checking in and reading any updates. Looking forward to getting started in earnest.
09-21-2014 03:20 PM
Mike F Offline

(09-21-2014 03:20 PM)justcates Wrote:  I haven't posted much but I keep checking in and reading any updates. Looking forward to getting started in earnest.

Especially with Hokie football losing 2 weeks in a row in the last 2 minutes!
09-21-2014 05:43 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

(09-20-2014 11:53 AM)needabuzz Wrote:  I have someone thst will join to make it 16.

You've got to get him on tomorrow at the absolute latest. Preferably early in the day if not tonight.

LAST CALL FOR SIGN-UPS!!

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2014 05:58 PM by HarveyGlass.)
09-21-2014 05:57 PM
needabuzz Offline
Enormous Member

Sorry he changed his mind.
09-21-2014 09:07 PM
justcates Offline
Coach of True Brewin'

(09-21-2014 05:43 PM)Mike F Wrote:  
(09-21-2014 03:20 PM)justcates Wrote:  I haven't posted much but I keep checking in and reading any updates. Looking forward to getting started in earnest.

Especially with Hokie football losing 2 weeks in a row in the last 2 minutes!

As much as I love Tech football, I'm one of those weird Hokies that almost looks forward to basketball more (especially after a frustrating football start). Lot's of people smell popcorn and think of the movies, my memory bank immediately thinks of the concourse at Cassell.
09-22-2014 02:22 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Well shit. Fifteen is probably the last number I wanted. lol

Do we really want to do 15 teams all in one league? That's 15 CEBE teams and 15 ACC teams. Gonna water down the talent pool quite a bit. I want to do two conferences bad but I think 7 is probably too few.

Any suggestions?

And Blackbeard are you still with us?

09-22-2014 02:39 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

15 managers for 15 ACC teams is bloated (or emaciated?) but I thought the one conference model was optimal for a manually-managed league, especially with the type of draft we do and old school message board interaction. Change can provide unexpected fun though, so I'll be open-minded about doing a trial year of 2 conferences if necessary.

tl;dr: I'm good either way
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 03:14 PM by ULismyhothot.)
09-22-2014 03:13 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

Last year we were 1:1 of conference teams to fantasy teams and I thought it worked okay - better than having a 2:1 ratio IMO. I like having to go deep into a team's roster to find good players. Even with the thin field last year, we still had guys drafted in the late rounds that were some of the better players in the league.
09-22-2014 03:46 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

I think the main issue might be that once you have your team, you might be set for the year. There won't be enough depth to improve your squad throughout the year via Waivers. Would be real tough on teams with injuries.

Whereas with two conferences everybody should have a quality team provided they put in the effort. I guess the main downside along those lines is that it's possible for a coach to put together an absolute superteam.

One League:
Pros: Easier to run and follow. Noob-friendly.
Cons: Much less talent depth.
Neutral: Draft is probably much more important. Requires more skill?

Two Conferences
Pros: Overall higher level of play. More fun following good players.
Cons: More complex.
Neutral: Teams can become overpowering with more starpower to spread around.

More pros and cons?

09-22-2014 04:01 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

One of the cons to the 2 league format would be the lack of interaction between leagues. Could we just separate them into 2 drafts but then basically operate it like it's all one league? No need to separate them except for draft day (and available free agents), right?
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 04:06 PM by J-Rye_UL.)
09-22-2014 04:04 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

After the draft people can view what they like and post where they like but to make it easier to follow, I would think each Conference would have its own message board page where they will need their own Results threads and Waivers threads, Trade threads, Rosters etc.

But people will still be able to see both pages and post where they like. And I believe I'll be able to duplicate threads such as the Standings, Schedule, and the tournament bracket. Which means that there will be a Standings thread that will be both viewable and postable from both message board pages.

I'm gonna work on a template for that right now and see what I can come up with real quick.

(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 04:13 PM by HarveyGlass.)
09-22-2014 04:13 PM
Mike F Offline

Simple question based on past years. With 15 or 7, it is an odd number. Does that create bye weeks or do you play with doubleheaders on some weeks?
09-22-2014 04:20 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

(09-22-2014 04:20 PM)Mike F Wrote:  Simple question based on past years. With 15 or 7, it is an odd number. Does that create bye weeks or do you play with doubleheaders on some weeks?

The schedule depends on both the number of teams and the number of weeks available(per the real schedules) for us to use.

We've had byes before, we've had years where we had three 'mirror' games like the BigEast did, we've had schedules with only two mirror games...

Never used doubleheaders though.

(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 04:24 PM by HarveyGlass.)
09-22-2014 04:23 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Looks like I can't duplicate threads that allow posting from two different locations. Kind of a bummer.

So if we're considering two conferences these are the options.

1.) Create another message board page(currently up and called 'The Coastal') where everything is run just like it is in 'The Atlantic'. Both pages will have all the information that conference needs. Each conference will be allowed to view and post in the other but there won't be near as much interaction between conferences. But maybe there shouldn't be, idk.
The plus is that it would be much easier to keep track of everything, for everybody.

2.) Still just use the one 'CEBE' board for both conferences, but use post icons on each thread to differentiate. Meaning if you're in the Atlantic Division, you'll primarily be focused on threads with an [Image: atlanticbutton.gif] on them. Coastal Division teams would see a [Image: coastalbutton.gif] on their threads.
You can see an example of that here...http://www.thecebe.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2
All teams would be able to interact and join in on interesting threads much easier but it could get confusing for some.

3.) We just keep it the way it's always been with all teams in one league.

Everybody check it out and let me know what you prefer.

Still looking for Blackbeard to check in.

(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 08:00 PM by HarveyGlass.)
09-22-2014 06:11 PM
Mike F Offline

Obviously the veteran members have the final say, but I actually like the idea of a more competitive singe league. It should simplify work for the Commish and keeps the entire league together hopefully building some friendly rivalries. It also likely would help encourage trades in order to improve lineups. Based on the experience in the league, it is obvious that the owners are fairly competitive and dedicated, so I would see more teams as a good fit (even if it is more challenging). I would vote for #3.
09-22-2014 06:37 PM
J-Rye_UL Offline

(09-22-2014 06:37 PM)Mike F Wrote:  Obviously the veteran members have the final say, but I actually like the idea of a more competitive singe league. It should simplify work for the Commish and keeps the entire league together hopefully building some friendly rivalries. It also likely would help encourage trades in order to improve lineups. Based on the experience in the league, it is obvious that the owners are fairly competitive and dedicated, so I would see more teams as a good fit (even if it is more challenging). I would vote for #3.
^this^ (if we're voting)

I like the Atlantic and Coastal divisions as far as the draft and available players, but I don't like the idea of only competing against the teams in my division. I'd rather compete, interact, and play against everyone in the league, even if it meant teams were scoring 130 points per week instead of 160
09-22-2014 07:50 PM