Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 2.6 Average
Good reads
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Good reads
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college...tes-scare/

Got a feeling that we're going to have a lot of good things written about us this year. This is good stuff.

Sticky for togetherness?
11-21-2013 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J-Rye_UL Offline
Coach Cactus Carl - FreeBallers

RE: Good reads
[Image: 131121.03.gif]

What's the common denominator in 2012 and 2013? Josh Pastner.
11-21-2013 03:13 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Good Read...http://www.wdrb.com/story/24415040/crawf...of-petrino

"The dream lives on." - Howard Schnellenberger
01-10-2014 05:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

(01-10-2014 05:13 PM)HarveyGlass Wrote:  Good Read...http://www.wdrb.com/story/24415040/crawf...of-petrino

Someone is channeling his inner Rick Reilly.
01-10-2014 09:13 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Crawford can suck Mike Cox.
01-11-2014 07:56 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Good primer for next season:

http://www.footballxos.com/wpfb-file/200...trino-pdf/
01-12-2014 01:24 AM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Good watch-- Todd Grantham presser.

This dude talks about winning a title way too much for me not to be half staff. I think Louisville is sincerely about to become a yearly powerhouse and make another step up in college football.

http://youtu.be/bTt6e3O7XMY
01-16-2014 09:56 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Ran across this on the front page of SI.com tonight...http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Five...-3531.html

01-29-2014 08:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

Hope things come together in the next couple of weeks. It's pretty obvious from the staff choices that Bobby's all in on the recruiting side, potentially at the sacrifice of the X's & O's (especially defense). Recruiting was his one Achilles heel at most stops, so I hope he knows what he's doing by investing so many coaching dollars to grade A recruiters.

We know he can coach the offense, so if his talent pool improves and the defense doesn't completely suck from those coaching trade-offs things could be VERY interesting in the next few years.
01-29-2014 08:18 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Good hoops read...http://college-basketball.si.com/2014/01...-bearcats/

Cards gonna make a run?

01-30-2014 07:29 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Bozich delivers a rare gem in this nice piece keeping up with Teddy's pursuit of #1...http://www.wdrb.com/story/24694071/bozic...h-into-nfl
Go Teddy!!

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 04:30 PM by HarveyGlass.)
02-11-2014 04:30 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Great story about Chane

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/196...ond-chance
02-15-2014 08:32 AM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Article on ESPN about Grantham...http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/67...-challenge
lol at all the Georgia fan comments.

02-17-2014 01:48 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=m...mnow140217

Good read for tourney predictions.
02-17-2014 06:06 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Quote: Russ Smith, Wayne Blackshear and Terry Rozier have combined to make nearly 50 percent of their 3s in American play.

Yikes, I did not know that. And they're also leaving out Cool Hand Luke. Shy

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 07:13 PM by HarveyGlass.)
02-17-2014 07:13 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(02-17-2014 06:06 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=m...mnow140217

Good read for tourney predictions.

The schedule intent CL talks about is why Louisville's ceiling is pretty much a 3 seed barring chaos.
02-17-2014 07:17 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Looking at the latest bracketology from today we have dropped to a 6 seed...? Pretty insane for a team that is top 5 in the coaches poll. I know that it all has to do with resume and have performed terribly in our resume win opportunities but damn.

I don't understand the team anymore than anyone else. We will beat bad teams by 40 and look like repeat champs and play good teams and play like shit and look like a first round out. But there is just a massive difference between the coaches poll to the AP poll to bracketology.

I think we're a 2 seed if we win out regardless of what others do. If we can finish strong and beat Memphis and Cinci on the road and show that how we've been playing for the last couple weeks wasn't a fluke then the opinions of us will be more of a consensus.
02-17-2014 07:26 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

I don't see a 2-seed, even winning out honestly. You have to figure the regular season champs from each of the ACC, SEC, Big XII, Big Ten, and Pac-12 are locks for one of the top 8 spots. That's 5 of the top 8 overall seeds gone. Throw Wichita State in there barring an epic meltdown on their part. Now we have two top 8 overall seeds to give from among the Big East champs (Creighton/Nova), AAC (Cincinnati/Louisville), and any of the non-champs in the "Big 5" (Kansas/Texas in Big XII, Duke/Syracuse/Virginia in ACC, half the Big Ten). Oh, and I didn't mention San Diego State.

Even if we beat Cincinnati, Memphis, UConn, and SMU in the last three weeks of the season, is our resume going to trump all but one of those teams? I don't think so.

On the up side, this smells a lot like the 2005 Final Four run. Comfortably in the Top 10, but a shit seed to go with it. There's going to be a 3, 4, or 5 seed on Selection Sunday cursing a storm when they draw us in Round 2.
02-17-2014 07:42 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

So you don't think the winner of the AAC gets a two? I was talking about winning out through the conference tourney as well if that makes any difference to you. I have watched less basketball this season than I have in a long time so take what I say with a grain of salt.

My 1 & 2 seeds if we take care of business from here on out...
Arizona
Duke
Syracuse
Witchita State
Florida
Louisville
Creighton
Kansas
02-17-2014 08:02 PM
chrislindy Offline
Toilet Warlock
Moderators

I notice you don't have a single Big Ten team in that list. Do you believe the Big Ten champ isn't getting a top 2 seed?
02-17-2014 08:21 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Michigan state has lost 3 of it's last 5. Best team in the big 10 by a good margin, IMO. So maybe if they get things turned around?

No I don't think that a big 10 will (or at least should) get a 2 seed over Cinci or a surging Louisville team.
02-17-2014 08:29 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

I think the ACC is probably the only conference that gets two teams in ahead of us. Maybe Iowa/Michigan State gets in over Duke?

ACC Champ
ACC #2/BIG 10 Champ
SEC Champ
PAC10 Champ
BIG12 Champ
BIG EAST Champ
Mid Major Champ
AAC Champ
02-17-2014 08:39 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Good read.
02-17-2014 09:47 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Agree with Lindy, this is a lot like 2005. Even though our eyeballs and efficiency stats will likely tell us it's a pretty good team mid-March, a shitty nonconference schedule + affiliation w/ conference ranked outside the top 6 by the quant communities (KenPom, Sagarin, et al) = negative points on the resume. Ceiling is a 3 unless every top 6 conference is won by a high seed, McDermott breaks his leg and Wichita State dies in a plane crash.
02-17-2014 10:02 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Reinvented.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-...ncaab.html

02-22-2014 03:39 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Short read...http://college-basketball.si.com/2014/02...?eref=sihp

02-22-2014 09:09 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Latest bracketology has Louisville in the same bracket as Florida, Duke and Michigan State. No he isn't making a sweet 16 projection. Lol.

Bad read.
02-28-2014 01:11 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

(02-28-2014 01:11 PM)DieHardCards Wrote:  Latest bracketology has Louisville in the same bracket as Florida, Duke and Michigan State. No he isn't making a sweet 16 projection. Lol.

Bad read.

Iowa State is a pretty strong 4 seed, too. That would be by far the toughest region. But I bet all those seeds except maybe Florida will change.
02-28-2014 04:31 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Yeah probably ALL of the teams I'd rather not have in my bracket. The worst 1, worst 2, etc.

Think about how many final fours in that bracket. Coaches are almost as dangerous as their team in march with little time for preparation. Donovan, Izzo, and K have all had their march stumbles as has Rick but that's like the who's who of WHO I don't want to see before Dallas.
02-28-2014 04:48 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

25 final fours between that foursome.

Yeah I mean no way I think it shakes out that way but I used to think a lot of Lunardi.
02-28-2014 04:53 PM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

If you look at the stats, he and CBS' Jerry Palm are almost exactly average when it comes to predicting the field & seeds with accuracy: http://bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html

Dozens of average fans like us who run blogs have been more accurate.
02-28-2014 07:08 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

Good ESPN insider read.

Getty Images
Do the Jayhawks and Blue Devils have a lot to fear in the tournament's first weekend?
With just two weeks until Selection Sunday, we might not know about tourney matchups yet, but key traits are readily apparent. And for fans of some of the best teams in the country, that means it’s time to start worrying.

Giant Killers IDs the most likely NCAA tournament upsets using a process laid out in a little more detail in the right column. Our vaunted statistical model is able to assign a rating to each Giant, based on the likelihood that it would lose to a generic Giant Killer. In evaluating the top 10 teams in the current AP poll, it finds a pretty large disparity in how safe each squad should feel during the tourney’s first weekend. Here’s a closer look, in decreasing order of vulnerability.

Saint Louis Billikens
AP Poll Rank: 10
Giant Rating: 71.3

As we addressed two weeks ago, St. Louis plays much more like a Killer than a Giant. And as the Billikens try to live up to a top-10 ranking and a potential No. 4 seed, that could prove problematic. Granted, Saint Louis should still beat a generic GK more than seven out of 10 times. But that’s not a strong enough rating to feel safe, especially given the issues our model identifies.

St. Louis doesn’t send many guys to the offensive glass, resulting in an offensive rebound rate of 29.1 percent. Historically, that’s been a key safeguard for Giants, and it makes sense: On a poor shooting night, you’re in much better shape if you can collect your own misses. Our model also sees Saint Louis as overrated: Its power ranking is just 29th in the nation, behind teams like Tennessee, Gonzaga and SMU. That’s due in large part to the Billikens’ sluggish offense, which ranks just 145th nationally (per KenPom.com) with an adjusted 106 points per 100 possessions. Even with the country’s second-best defense, those scoring woes are scary in a tourney setting.

Wichita State Shockers
AP Poll Rank: 2
Giant Rating: 72.7

Speaking of teams our model pegs as overrated, the sage-like spreadsheet has some issues with the Shockers. Sure, they’re undefeated, but our model accounts for the nation’s 130th-ranked schedule, and as a result is unwilling to bet heavily on Gregg Marshall’s crew. Wichita State takes a further knock from the model’s “Secret Sauce,” which accounts for similarities to historically safe Giants. The Shockers carry some warning labels, particularly their lack of emphasis on forcing turnovers (18.7 percent of opponents’ possessions).

Look, it’s hard to argue against a 30-0 team, regardless of its schedule. After all, the Shockers can beat only the teams they play. And it’s also difficult to argue that they aren’t cut out for tourney play when the likes of Cleanthony Early, Ron Baker and Fred VanVleet all played key roles on a Final Four squad. But by our measures, Wichita State has a disturbing number of traits in common with previously slain Giants, meaning a potential 1 vs. 8/9 matchup could be a real challenge to a crew that pulled off that kind of an upset last year.

Creighton Bluejays
AP Poll Rank: 9
Giant Rating: 72.9

The Bluejays have the nation’s best offense. They take a huge quantity of 3-pointers and make 42.9 percent of them. They’re a top-10 team inside the arc as well, shooting 55.4 percent on 2-pointers. They rarely turn the ball over and assist on 65.1 percent of their made baskets. That’s as good as it gets.

But the one thing Creighton doesn’t do well is a major issue for Giants: It grabs only 28 percent of available offensive rebounds. And the problems are much greater on defense, where the Bluejays force a turnover once every lunar cycle (15.6 percent, 325th in the nation) and generally struggle to get stops (an adjusted 100.5 points per 100 possessions). Unlike Saint Louis and Wichita State, Creighton is as good as its reputation suggests according to the model, which places the Bluejays fifth in its power rankings. But those two major flaws could cost Doug McDermott & Co. against a pesky Killer.

Villanova Wildcats
AP Poll Rank: 8
Giant Rating: 84.2

The Wildcats weren’t supposed to be this good. At 25-3, though, they’ve proved their worth to our model, which rates the Wildcats as the nation’s seventh-best team. But as with their Big East buddy Creighton, there are some lingering flaws that could make Villanova susceptible to an early upset.

It’s uncommon for a top team to foul a lot, for a fairly obvious reason: Generally, weaker teams foul more because they are outclassed. When you can’t match an opponent’s size, speed or skill, you’ve got to clutch and grab and hack in response. But Villanova doesn’t follow that script, allowing its foes to generate 22.8 percent of their points from the foul line, which is greater than the national average. The good news is that JayVaughn Pinkston and James Bell lead a rebounding effort that is above average at both ends, and Nova’s excellent ball pressure forces turnovers on 20.2 percent of opposing possessions. Something to watch that doesn’t show up as significant in the model, though: Villanova doesn’t guard the arc especially well. Opponents take 32.3 of their shots from deep, which is just 161st in the country, and that could be a problem against a hot-shooting mid-major.

Syracuse Orange
AP Poll Rank: 4
Giant Rating: 86.7

A week ago, the Orange were as safe a Giant as you’d find. But after their losses to Boston College and Duke and a tight win at Maryland, the model has further evaluated Syracuse and started to find some more glaring blemishes. Not surprisingly, the biggest issue is defensive rebounding, which is always a fatal flaw of the 2-3 zone. Rakeem Christmas, Jerami Grant and C.J. Fair do excellent work on the offensive boards, but without a clear man to block out, they struggle to produce at the other end. So opponents grab 32 percent of their own misses and can often kick out for open looks from 3-point range, where the Orange allow the second-highest percentage of points in the country (36.8). Syracuse still looks quite safe, but after the Orange dropped from a 97.8 rating to 86.7 that sentiment may not last much longer.

Florida Gators
AP Poll Rank: 1
Giant Rating: 89.8

There may not be a more balanced team than the top-ranked Gators. They’re the only team to rank in the top 12 in both offensive and defensive efficiency, and it’s tough to find any significant warts. So it’s no surprise that our model gives them a nine-in-10 chance of fending off a generic Giant Killer.

Led by the relentless Patric Young (13.5 percent offensive rebound rate) and Dorian Finney-Smith (14.0 percent), the Gators get all sorts of second chances on offense. They play D without fouling, they force bundles of turnovers and they hold their own on the defensive glass, too. The real question, then, is why the Gators aren’t the safest Giant in the country. And it appears our model’s answer is that they may not be as good as they appear, thanks to a relatively easy run through the watered-down SEC. Still, that’s not enough to cause real concern early in the tourney for a team that seems destined for a No. 1 seed.

Kansas Jayhawks
AP Poll Rank: 5
Giant Rating: 90.6

Yes, the Jayhawks have lost to four teams ranked 30th or worse in BPI. But that’s not a harbinger of a March disaster. Fact is, our model is bullish on the Jayhawks, ranking them as the fourth-best team in the country. And that rock-solid power rating is most of the basis for Kansas’ being such a safe Giant, since the team doesn’t gain much from the model’s Secret Sauce.

Why? The Jayhawks don’t force turnovers. Their 16.6 percent rate is well below the national average (18.4) and essentially means that weaker teams will still get enough looks at the basket to frighten Kansas on a hot-shooting night. The Jayhawks also foul far too often -- foes generate 24.3 percent of their offense from the free throw line. However, Kansas offsets much of those weaknesses with strong rebounding at both ends (not to mention a fantastically efficient offense). Could the Jayhawks go down early? It’s possible. But it sure isn’t likely.

Arizona Wildcats
AP Poll Rank: 3
Giant Rating: 94.2

One of the great surprises in the model is how safe Arizona looks, even in light of Brandon Ashley’s season-ending injury. Even without the versatile forward, the Wildcats do all the things a Giant is supposed to do, particularly on the glass, where they dominate at both the offensive (38.5 percent) and defensive (26.1 percent for opponents) ends.

And it’s not just that Arizona bears strong similarities to historically safe Giants. Our model also pegs the Wildcats as the best team in the country on the basis of their power rating, due largely to the nation’s stingiest defense. With Nick Johnson and T.J. McConnell locking down the perimeter and plenty of size inside, the Wildcats negate all the common tricks GKs employ. In particular, they chase foes off the 3-point line, allowing only 26.9 percent of opposing shots to come from beyond the arc. Arizona might not be the exact same team without Ashley, but it remains every bit the safe Giant.

Duke Blue Devils
AP Poll Rank: 6
Giant Rating: 95.0

It’s somewhat remarkable to see the Blue Devils ranked so high, given some fairly obvious issues that manifested themselves in losses at Notre Dame and Clemson and a near escape at home against Vermont. For a team that often utilizes at least four perimeter players at a time, Duke isn’t particularly effective at forcing turnovers (19.2 percent, 125th in the nation). And the Blue Devils are below-average defensive rebounders. Quietly, they’ve grown more and more effective on the offensive glass (33.5 percent), but that’s not close to the level of Arizona or Florida.

Instead, what makes Duke such a good Giant is the way it plays defense. The Blue Devils are ranked only 57th in adjusted efficiency, but their issues are much more likely to be exploited by a fellow Giant, not a Killer. They basically shut down their opponents’ 3-point shooting (17.5 percent of total points, 351st in the country), and avoid putting them on the line. So teams have to take advantage from 2-point range, which is where 60.9 percent of opposing points come from against Duke (third in the country). For GKs, the problem is that is the antithesis of the high-risk, high-reward style that typically leads to a tourney upset. Add in the model’s third-highest power rating, and Duke should be able to stick around for a while come tourney time.

Louisville Cardinals
AP Poll Rank: 7
Giant Rating: 97.7

This season’s safest Giant was also the last one standing a year ago. The Cardinals have quietly gone about their business in a new conference this season, compiling a daunting statistical profile in the process. Louisville boasts the nation’s 15th-best offense and seventh-best defense. The Cardinals take care of the ball when they have it (14.8 percent turnover rate) and take it away at the other end (24.7, fourth in the nation). They knock down 3s and keep opponents from launching them. With the second-best power rating according to the model, they’re a dream Giant.

If there is one lingering issue, it’s defensive rebounding, where Louisville is clearly not the same team without Gorgui Dieng and Chane Behanan. Teams grab an alarming 33.3 percent of their misses against Louisville, and the program knows what a massive offensive rebounding game can do for an upstart in the tourney. But the Cardinals have so many other weapons at their disposal that they’re much more likely to be playing on the tourney’s final weekend than to be eliminated in the first one.
03-02-2014 10:07 AM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

The other, newer issue is free throw shooting. What happened to our stroke from the line?

03-02-2014 10:52 AM
ULismyhothot Offline
Fancy Stats

Fortunately, FT shooting can be fixed a lot easier than def rebounding, but it's on each player on their own time to work at it. This team is just as likely to shoot below 50% from the FT line in a game as they are to shoot above 69.8%, the national average.

I love efficiency stats and their value, but worry about predictive stats' higher margin for error when built upon a weak SOS. Louisville's elite against teams with average 13-16 seed profiles, but average vs teams with elite 1-5 seed profiles. Eyeball test seems to back that up so far, outside of 2 games maybe? They can beat a team w/o an interior presence (UConn) and can survive on the road in a slow-it-down grinder (Cincy), the latter of which is more valuable when considering opponent, site & looking at the different styles a team might see game to game in a tournament setting. But they still haven proven they're better than a 5 seed when you consider both their stat profile, resume & eye test.
03-02-2014 02:12 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

PAT FORDE SPITTING HOT FUCKING FIRE IN THE NATIONAL
SCENE!

http://yhoo.it/1mPibXc
03-02-2014 08:36 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

lol Finally, his ridiculously shameless quotes are being read nationally. That clown is such a cancer to college basketball.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2014 09:21 PM by HarveyGlass.)
03-02-2014 09:20 PM
Farmdude Offline
That's sure a big pickle

Wrong on so many levels.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/105...n-texas[/b]
03-02-2014 10:38 PM
DieHardCards Offline
The Louisville Lip
Moderators 2

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=10550949
03-04-2014 04:39 PM
HarveyGlass Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Sorry, but he had no business on an NBA roster. Purely a move to try and pacify his brother.

03-04-2014 05:17 PM
BereaCard Offline
Likes to say fuck

You have to really good for an NBA team to put up with Dickish behavior.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2014 08:40 PM by BereaCard.)
03-04-2014 08:39 PM